McGrath lavishes praise on Basil Thampi

Excerpt from an article in the Times of India.where he praises the Indian bowling unit and singles out Thampi for praise among the new MRF pacers ---

" Fast bowling may be hard work in India but it's good to see talented youngsters like Basil Thampi emerging in recent times, legendary Australia cricketer Glenn McGrath said on Monday.

"The Indian attack has very good bowlers now and the emergence of names like Basil Thampi and a few others is only going to help the team in the long run," he said at a function here to mark the silver jubilee of the association between MRF Pace Foundation and Cricket Australia.

McGrath said it was heartening to note that three trainees from the Pace Foundation, where he is director now, have been selected to be part of India 'A' team to embark on a tour of South Africa.

Out the three (Thampi, Ankit Rajpoot and Aniket Choudhary), McGrath singled out Thampi for praise and said, "He has come on very well. His performances in IPL this year won him the emerging player award and he has learnt a lot at the academy."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/news/glenn-mcgrath-lavishes-praise-on-basil-thampi/articleshow/59636090.cms

Further details --

" Now, Australian legend Glenn McGrath has joined in the praise for Thampi, lauding the 23-year-old's ability to execute yorkers. Speaking at an event celebrating the MRF Pace Foundation's completion of 25 years, he said: "If you look at the last IPL, Basil's success was brilliant for him. I think he has worked hard at the foundation and his success in the IPL was because of the consistency and hard work he put in. Most people can bowl length but few can bowl yorkers on a consistent basis. If you can get the yorker right, that's what most teams are looking for."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/news/thampis-ability-to-bowl-yorkers-impressive-mcgrath/articleshow/59637014.cms

32 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

What is the average speed at which he bowls?  

In limited over matches, average speed of around 138 k ( excluding slower balls ).    Fastest of around 144 k or 145 k.

32 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Keeps hearing about how excellent the fast bowlers from Kerala are,  but none of them are getting a chance in the Indian Team. 

Basil Thampi is progressing very fast after getting noticed.  He is in the India A team touring SA in July '17.

Sandeep Warrier is the guy getting a raw deal. He looks impressive but did not get an IPL contract.  He was chosen for his zonal team in SMA Trophy though but is not in the selectors' radar this year.

There is another guy called Tibin Joseph. He was praised by Jeff Thompson but does not get to play regularly for his state even. Problem of plenty for Kerala as far as pacers are concerned.

Not expecting much from Indian cricket anymore. However, Thampi's, Avesh's etc etc etc are the new faces of Indian cricket. It wont be long before we have a few bowlers bowling in excess of 155k's.

5 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Looks like the IPL contract is getting to him.

Chill out man! He is the director of MRF, doesnt need IPL. Its not for nothing that the Indian team is miles ahead of Pakistan. There are talented players around and people are bound to talk about them. Theres nothing more to it.

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Chill out man! He is the director of MRF, doesnt need IPL. Its not for nothing that the Indian team is miles ahead of Pakistan. There are talented players around and people are bound to talk about them. Theres nothing more to it.

Well I expect to see this speedster making a name for himself. Eventually surpassing the former greats. 

6 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

Good, hopefully he gets to play. Is there a lot of competition for him in the A team for pace bowling spots?

Thampi is chosen for the 50-over matches only.

The other pacers are  Md. Siraj,  Shardul Thakur and S. Kaul

If 3 pacers are played ( as we are playing in SA ) he should get a few games.

For the 4-day " Unofficial tests " , we have Siraj, Shardul, Aniket, Navdeep Saini and Rajpoot.

Edited by express bowling
4 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Well I expect to see this speedster making a name for himself. Eventually surpassing the former greats. 

You don't have to surpass anyone to be special and make a name for yourself. One just needs to be good enough and be honest. Srinath was no Wasim Akram. Probably no one in world cricket will remember him. But what he was and what he contributed to Indian cricket can never be measured.

17 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

You don't have to surpass anyone to be special and make a name for yourself. One just needs to be good enough and be honest. Srinath was no Wasim Akram. Probably no one in world cricket will remember him. But what he was and what he contributed to Indian cricket can never be measured.

Its fine if these bowlers are good enough to be in your team. But to say they are miles better than the Pakistan attack brings up a certain comparison. 

In my opinion if Indian bowling gets better there is no reason for them to be a team in the class of 2000s Australia. But the problem is it seems your batting still feels a lot better than your bowling. Till your bowling starts getting teams out under 250  I will not consider them better than our attack. Cause keep in mind due to our batting being weak we need to get teams out under 250. Anything more will result in us losing. 

7 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Its fine if these bowlers are good enough to be in your team. But to say they are miles better than the Pakistan attack brings up a certain comparison. 

In my opinion if Indian bowling gets better there is no reason for them to be a team in the class of 2000s Australia. But the problem is it seems your batting still feels a lot better than your bowling. Till your bowling starts getting teams out under 250  I will not consider them better than our attack. Cause keep in mind due to our batting being weak we need to get teams out under 250. Anything more will result in us losing. 

I see in your dp that the guy is either taking the glasses off or wearing them. Well, when you look at things with a certai perspective and with the glasses of bias, things look different. Its a fact that Indian bowling is miles ahead of Pakistani bowling. If you want to let one win in Champions Trophy define the quality, so be it. Even Indian team of 83 beat WI. But no way were they better than WI.

As an Indian, I am not even bothered about Pakistani bowling. Gone are the days. So if you want to believe they are better, go on. You might just be surprised one day..( Shocked is a better word though )

6 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I see in your dp that the guy is either taking the glasses off or wearing them. Well, when you look at things with a certai perspective and with the glasses of bias, things look different. Its a fact that Indian bowling is miles ahead of Pakistani bowling. If you want to let one win in Champions Trophy define the quality, so be it. Even Indian team of 83 beat WI. But no way were they better than WI.

As an Indian, I am not even bothered about Pakistani bowling. Gone are the days. So if you want to believe they are better, go on. You might just be surprised one day..( Shocked is a better word though )

Its true our bowlers are not as great as the ones in the past. You can't replicate what Waqar or Wasim did. But what you can do is show results. If you don't look at our bowlers than isn't that the same kinda biased? 

You know what I am actually glad you have bowlers to talk about. It will only give healthy competition to the players and make bowling a thing in India. Now if we get batsmen we won't be considered just a bowling team anymore.

Edited by Shaz1
On 7/18/2017 at 11:37 AM, Shaz1 said:

Looks like the IPL contract is getting to him.

so when Micheal holding cried for the criminal act that Mohammad amir committed then it is because his friend's bookie is getting caught?

how come when outsiders feel for Pakistanis it is genuine and if outsiders feel for Indians then there are personal interests at play?

don't try to evade saying that it was just a joke...

Edited by Temujin Khaghan