Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brainfade

At what men's level is women's cricket?

Recommended Posts

Just a hypothetical here.  I watched the women's world cup final and agonized as India let it slip away.  I also watched, in awe, HMPK's assault on the Ozzie women.  Overall, I was impressed by the athleticism on the field, elegance of strokes, timing and in some cases, power (a few sixes landed in the Lords stands in the final).

 

So, let me ask - if the best of the best women's team from the World Cup played against a men's team, what level of men's team could they beat?  A solid state or county team?  USA men's first team?  Maybe Bermuda men's first team?

 

Serious responses only, please.  

Edited by Brainfade

Share this post


Link to post

From an English perspective I think if you picked a womens world xi it would probably beat a local club ECB premier league team (the highest level of club cricket in England, so the level below county, county 2nd xi and minor county cricket). Start going far above that and I think it would start to become a bit of a mismatch.

Edited by Stumped

Share this post


Link to post

I reckon the individual champion higher secondary boy's school teams in every Indian city can easily trash the Indian women's national team.

 

The Pak women's national team can be defeated by all the uncles XI on ICF :p

 

That said Indian women's team if properly trained and coached can become a huge revenue generating machine because it will make the Indian fan base at least 15 percent bigger... 

Share this post


Link to post

No comparisons necessary. Women's cricket is its own competition. Also, they have done exceedingly well,  especially considering that they have had no real support- finances, facilities, number of games etc. With a little more backing, the potential upside is big. 

Share this post


Link to post

Apart from gender difference, there is huge gap of history as well. Men's cricket has evolved over 100 years, while women cricket is not there yet in terms for history as well as the support. I believe a current U19 can defeat Indian team from early days (1930s-50s). This gap will close once there is enough interest and money in women cricket, although it may not match men's cricket just like tennis.

Share this post


Link to post

It's difficult to compare. I don't know how the batswomen would perform against some decent pace the men generally bowl at.

So it's tough to tell which level of men, women cricketers r now at.

But must say, women cricket had improved a lot.. they can now regularly hit 65-80m sixes, fielding level has gone up over the years.. even few years back, watching women cricket was like watching some interoffice tournaments held in India. But the quality of women cricket has improved drastically.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Stumped said:

From an English perspective I think if you picked a womens world xi it would probably beat a local club ECB premier league team (the highest level of club cricket in England, so the level below county, county 2nd xi and minor county cricket). Start going far above that and I think it would start to become a bit of a mismatch.

No chance . Ecb prem team would murder them 

 

maybe decent second team I reckon . No more then that

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Women cricket should only be restricted to 20 overs. 50 overs or test match is too much for them

 

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

 

 

As proved by the very entertaining 50 over world cup that just finished?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Women cricket should only be restricted to 20 overs. 50 overs or test match is too much for them

 

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

 

 

You are a Misogynist bigot. 

MCP

Sexist 

 And a Woman hater. 

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

You are a Misogynist bigot. 

MCP

Sexist 

 And a Woman hater. 

Bhai Congress supporter hai kya? Itna drama kyon kar raha hai? :hysterical:

 

Tennis has 3 sets for women in comparison to 5 for men. Its a fact that Strength and stamina of women are less compared to men. That is the way God has made us. Not sure how and why it is sexist?

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Bhai Congress supporter hai kya? Itna drama kyon kar raha hai? :hysterical:

 

Tennis has 3 sets for women in comparison to 5 for men. Its a fact that Strength and stamina of women are less compared to men. That is the way God has made us. Not sure how and why it is sexist?

And why the need to shorten it when it's working just fine as it is? Tennis is one of the only notable sports that is reduced for the female version of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Stumped said:

And why the need to shorten it when it's working just fine as it is? Tennis is one of the only notable sports that is reduced for the female version of the game.

And isn't tennis probably longest game after cricket? Average duration of women tennis is 2 hours and men tennis is 3 and half hours. Cricket goes on good 7 hours. All other sports remain less than 2 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

The way I would look at it , they can compete well with Associate level teams like Singapore and Namibia and beat them on their day . 

In football women can't even compete with adolescent boys leave alone full grown men

Quote

From world champions to humbling defeat against Under 15s side... World Cup-winning USA women's team suffer 5-2 loss against Dallas academy boys

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html#ixzz4nwePlfI7 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

IT will be miracle for women if they end up defeating full grown men even if it singapore or Namibia

Share this post


Link to post

I dont think its sane to compare women in purely physical endeavors with men or boys. Can a normal 14 yearold boy however skilled he is ever compete physically against a normal adolescent or a full grown man ? its absurd.

There is some 30-50 kilos of muscle mass and bone density difference, it can not be compared. may be if you have an all freak team of Serena willaims' clones.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

In football women can't even compete with adolescent boys leave alone full grown men

IT will be miracle for women if they end up defeating full grown men even if it singapore or Namibia

Forget Dallas bhai, even our U-16 boys defeated them(the world champs) 4-0. http://www.wifa.in/india-u-16-boys-beat-us-womens-senior-team/

And you know the level of Indian football very well.

 

To OP, the Indians women national team will lose to India under 14 boy's team 9 out of 10 times. I remember Sri Lanka WNT losing to CCI under 16s handsomely in a practice match in 2013 before the WC. Also I once read about WI WNT losing a series to Guyana under 16s by 10/9 wickets in all 3 matches. They then went on to enter a WC finals LOL. 

 

There is no comparison between men's and women's sports except may be gymnastics. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, lanka-girln said:

Well i think Indian Womens Team is fully capable of beating US. (Sri lankan Mens Team ):giggle:

Your team isn't that bad, just going through a difficult phase. Remember Sri Lanka smashed us in CT and almost knocked out the eventual champions. Potential is there, don't lose heart. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Your team isn't that bad, just going through a difficult phase. Remember Sri Lanka smashed us in CT and almost knocked out the eventual champions. Potential is there, don't lose heart. 

I am not loosing heart :p: ... i Support Indian Team ......:heart:  so my team is always Winning  :clap: 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, lanka-girln said:

I am not loosing heart :p: ... i Support Indian Team ......:heart:  so my team is always Winning  :clap: 

There is something off about this lanka-girln poster. :hmmm: I smell a troll. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Singh bling said:

In football women can't even compete with adolescent boys leave alone full grown men

IT will be miracle for women if they end up defeating full grown men even if it singapore or Namibia

Football is different , Cricket is more skills than physical . I would imagine some of the batting basics of these girls would be better than batsmen from Namibia/Singapore . Same with spinners and to an extent swing bowling . It wudnt be a miracle imo . 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, DDfan2017 said:

It's difficult to compare. I don't know how the batswomen would perform against some decent pace the men generally bowl at.

So it's tough to tell which level of men, women cricketers r now at.

But must say, women cricket had improved a lot.. they can now regularly hit 65-80m sixes, fielding level has gone up over the years.. even few years back, watching women cricket was like watching some interoffice tournaments held in India. But the quality of women cricket has improved drastically.

Just this one factor - esp when HMPK hitting 6s into the crowd at Lords - prompted my question.  For everyone who questions women's strength, that must have been eye opening.  Yes, timing and skill are also essential, but damn, I am positive I couldn't have hit those even during my peak strength years. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

Just this one factor - esp when HMPK hitting 6s into the crowd at Lords - prompted my question.  For everyone who questions women's strength, that must have been eye opening.  Yes, timing and skill are also essential, but damn, I am positive I couldn't have hit those even during my peak strength years. 

Third guy from the left.

I+don+t+think+skinny+means+what+you+thin

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Brainfade said:

Just this one factor - esp when HMPK hitting 6s into the crowd at Lords - prompted my question.  For everyone who questions women's strength, that must have been eye opening.  Yes, timing and skill are also essential, but damn, I am positive I couldn't have hit those even during my peak strength years. 

HMPK is just one player just like Yuvraj used to hit very big sixes.One cannot assume 11 players of women team can be like HMPK

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Football is different , Cricket is more skills than physical . I would imagine some of the batting basics of these girls would be better than batsmen from Namibia/Singapore . Same with spinners and to an extent swing bowling . It wudnt be a miracle imo . 

RAF men vs England women champion team , RAF men won

Share this post


Link to post

But how was Harman able to hit those 80+ m Sixes with ease,  just timing and Skills isn't enough for that,  it requires some Brute Power. These is a reason why Windies Players are such Big hitters and that's definitely  not because they are skilled or good timers of the ball .

 

Some of her Sixes were deep into the stands,  it made me wonder if the Ball in Women's Cricket is softer or lighter and easier to hit ?

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

But how was Harman able to hit those 80+ m Sixes with ease,  just timing and Skills isn't enough for that,  it requires some Brute Power. These is a reason why Windies Players are such Big hitters and that's definitely  not because they are skilled or good timers of the ball .

 

Some of her Sixes were deep into the stands,  it made me wonder if the Ball in Women's Cricket is softer or lighter and easier to hit ?

http://m.wisdenindia.com/full-story.php?category=Article&id=217715&

 

Women use 23 gram lighter ball than men

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/27/2017 at 0:27 AM, Brainfade said:

Just this one factor - esp when HMPK hitting 6s into the crowd at Lords - prompted my question.  For everyone who questions women's strength, that must have been eye opening.  Yes, timing and skill are also essential, but damn, I am positive I couldn't have hit those even during my peak strength years. 

one side of the ground was short that is why those shots went into the crowd. They were not using the center pitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/26/2017 at 10:29 AM, DDfan2017 said:

It's difficult to compare. I don't know how the batswomen would perform against some decent pace the men generally bowl at.

So it's tough to tell which level of men, women cricketers r now at.

But must say, women cricket had improved a lot.. they can now regularly hit 65-80m sixes, fielding level has gone up over the years.. even few years back, watching women cricket was like watching some interoffice tournaments held in India. But the quality of women cricket has improved drastically.

how many of them can hit 65-80 meter 6s? Harman hit that does not mean all of them can that. There are always exceptions but with professional strength training, it is very much possible that more women players will hit big sixes.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

how many of them can hit 65-80 meter 6s? Harman hit that does not mean all of them can that. There are always exceptions but with professional strength training, it is very much possible that more women players will hit big sixes.

We have real difficulty in finding men that can hit big sixes , what are the chances we find women when less than 1% girls play cricket

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/28/2017 at 10:22 AM, Singh bling said:

We have real difficulty in finding men that can hit big sixes , 

Do we ?

 

Indian cricketers who can or could  hit big 6s

 

Current - Dhoni, Yuvraj, Hardik, Rohit, Rahul, Pant, Yusuf Pathan, are all big 6 hitters..... even Jadeja, Murlli Vijay, Shami,  Axar, Krunal, Samson, Negi are good

 

Retired - Kapil, Patil, Kirti Azad, Shastri,  Bedade, Ganguly, Sidhu

 

We could have had a lot more in the olden days but playing lofted shots was discouraged in Indian cricket before T20s became popular

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Do we ?

 

Indian cricketers who can or could  hit big 6s

 

Current - Dhoni, Yuvraj, Hardik, Rohit, Rahul, Pant, Yusuf Pathan, are all big 6 hitters..... even Jadeja, Murlli Vijay, Shami,  Axar, Krunal, Samson, Negi are good

 

Retired - Kapil, Patil, Kirti Azad, Shastri,  Bedade, Ganguly, Sidhu

 

We could have had a lot more in the olden days but playing lofted shots was discouraged in Indian cricket before T20s became popular

Dhoni , Yuvraj , Yusuf , are all past their primes.Rohit nad Hardik definately hit big sixes, others have yet to provve themselves as fearsome batsmen in T20 criicket

Quote

7 out of 10 longest sixes were hit by imported player in IPL 2017

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Dhoni , Yuvraj , Yusuf , are all past their primes.Rohit nad Hardik definately hit big sixes, others have yet to provve themselves as fearsome batsmen in T20 criicket

The issue was about the ability of Indian players regarding hitting big sixes. 

 

" Past their prime "  and " fearsome batsmen " issues are not relevant here.

 

Moreover, Rahul is one of the bigger 6 hitters we have and it is well proved.

 

Quote

7 out of 10 longest sixes were hit by imported player in IPL 2017

This list has

 

3 from India

2 from Australia

2 from WI

2 from South Africa

No one from NZ, England, SL, Bangladesh and SL

 

Gayle features twice

 

It does not prove our lack of 6 hitting prowess

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post
On 28/07/2017 at 10:22 AM, Singh bling said:

We have real difficulty in finding men that can hit big sixes , what are the chances we find women when less than 1% girls play cricket

Most current Indian Batsmen can hit sixes. Even Rahane who isn't considered a six hitter can hit sixes.

Share this post


Link to post

All that bit about women's cricket being a rung below men's might be true but the ease with which kaur plundered those sixes on tha ground having 80 metre boundary against Australia might still be a wet dream for many club cricketers.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Scar said:

All that bit about women's cricket being a rung below men's might be true but the ease with which kaur plundered those sixes on tha ground having 80 metre boundary against Australia might still be a wet dream for many club cricketers.

Those were 50-60 Meter boundaries, not 80. Ropes were pulled in. Boundaries in woman cricket can't exceed 60 Meter that is the guideline put by ICC.

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×