Is Rohit Sharma going the Yuvi or Robinho way?

First of all excuse me for bringing in football here.I hope most sports enthusiasts know who Robinho was.Let's turn back to 1999 or 2000.I still remember it was the entry of 2 golden boys in 2 different sports.Santos who were non existent after Pele stunningly won the liga and Robinho the wonder boy led them to the title.Pele immediately said he is next me.He might surpass me.He was considered bigger than Messi or cr7.Now fast forward to 2017 he is considered a wasted talent.l though he did have moments of brilliance like copa 2007_LA liga 2005 etc but still a forgotten talent.

Now coming to cricket,India who had so many ageing players were looking for a change.Dada was appointed d captain and he wanted to change d entire style and structure.India won the first under 19 world cup.A young kid(yuvi)from Punjab stole the limelight being the best player of the tournament. Sourav didn't wait long he was immediately drafted into ICC champions trophy and he stunned d invincible Aussies after knocking them out in his very first opportunity.Steve Waugh said "I didn't except an Indian kid to play this brand of cricket.It was our style".Now come to 2017 he has a big story but fact is he didn't improve his grit,temperament and defensive technique to make a test career makes him an underachiever though he had a remarkable odi career.

Now they both are very similar to Rohit.Like them he started off with a bang in wt20 2007 on an absolute terrible pitch against South africa then it went on till 2008 cb series where only sachin had a better overall series.Critics were in awe of his natural talent and class then came the downhill.He kept failing.Dhoni finally gave him a chance as an opener in 2013 and he excelled in the role.Now he is a vital cog in the odi side but still he is yet to cement a spot in the test side.Also he has a great record but yet to dominate an ICC tournament.Now which way his career will turn out.The yuvi way or finally he would do justice to the gift he possess.

both Yuvraj and Rohit have techniques with glaring holes. 

As far as I know Irfan Pathan is the biggest talent waste. Moron should have played 100 test matches for us. Probably would have completed 4000 runs and 350 wickets easily...

many say its laziness. 

Edited by Temujin Khaghan
1 hour ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

I consider Irfan, Zak and Sreesanth bigger talent wastes than Yuvraj and Rohit because Yuvi and Rohit have punched well above their weights. If their talent is 100 they gave 150-175 easily. 

Irfan talent - 100 .... output - 25

Sreesanth - 100....   output - 40

Zak - 100                output - 75

Nah.Yuvi was very fast between the wickets during his early days.He was very athletic in the field too before he became fat.The technique holes were in the test cricket.In Odis he should have scored more than Dada,Dhoni and Dravid.He was more gifted as an odi cricketer than them

1 hour ago, Sujithmb13 said:

Nah.Yuvi was very fast between the wickets during his early days.He was very athletic in the field too before he became fat.The technique holes were in the test cricket.In Odis he should have scored more than Dada,Dhoni and Dravid.He was more gifted as an odi cricketer than them

Yes, he was very athletic in the field before being diagnosed with cancer. He has taken highest number of unforgettable catches for India all over field, particularly at point, covers, deep, short fine leg.. However, always have had too many shortcomings with bat.. Nano doubt, he has been a great stroke maker, hits the ball cleanly, but has always been very vulnerable to quality spin as well as short of length deliveries with some bounce. He has always been a shaky starter, never looked sure with his footwork either against quality spin or against pace and bounce early in the innings.. with so many loopholes, he could never be said to b gifted more than Dada, Dravid, Dhoni. Let's not compare with Dravid who was a complete batsman who could not accelerate according to the situation and I would always rate Yuvi a more utility odi batsman than Dravid. While we compare to Dada, yes, Dada too was vulnerable to pace and bounce, but was excellent player of spin. Had great footwork against spin. Despite being a left handed, he was the most successful indian batsman against Saqlain in the late 90s. So it would b wrong to feel that Yuvi was more gifted odi player than Dada. One can't be called gifted who has problems against both pace and spin.

10 hours ago, DDfan2017 said:

Yes, he was very athletic in the field before being diagnosed with cancer. He has taken highest number of unforgettable catches for India all over field, particularly at point, covers, deep, short fine leg.. However, always have had too many shortcomings with bat.. Nano doubt, he has been a great stroke maker, hits the ball cleanly, but has always been very vulnerable to quality spin as well as short of length deliveries with some bounce. He has always been a shaky starter, never looked sure with his footwork either against quality spin or against pace and bounce early in the innings.. with so many loopholes, he could never be said to b gifted more than Dada, Dravid, Dhoni. Let's not compare with Dravid who was a complete batsman who could not accelerate according to the situation and I would always rate Yuvi a more utility odi batsman than Dravid. While we compare to Dada, yes, Dada too was vulnerable to pace and bounce, but was excellent player of spin. Had great footwork against spin. Despite being a left handed, he was the most successful indian batsman against Saqlain in the late 90s. So it would b wrong to feel that Yuvi was more gifted odi player than Dada. One can't be called gifted who has problems against both pace and spin.

I hope being gifted is not exactly on the basis of technique alone.We never saw Dada or Dravid or Dhoni at the age of 18 or 19.The guy was partying and skipping training.Once Dada said he would be first for a party and last for the practice. sometimes I used to wake him up for practice.Anways both Dada and dravid are better batsman(But in Odis I doubt because they never had d acceleration skill of yuvi).Acceleration is very vital in odi.Always felt he is very natural as an athlete. Won the  national skating championship even before taking up a career in Cricket.But as u said he had technical loopholes.So definitely Dada and Dravid are better batsman (even in odi).But I feel if initial laid back attitude or cancer didn't affect him he would have had  best stat after Kapil in Odis.And one more thing Aesthetically I find him more attractive than Dada,dravid and Dhoni(lol).Yes initially he struggles but on full flow he had d smoothest bat flow among Indian batsmen.

3 hours ago, Sujithmb13 said:

I hope being gifted is not exactly on the basis of technique alone.We never saw Dada or Dravid or Dhoni at the age of 18 or 19.The guy was partying and skipping training.Once Dada said he would be first for a party and last for the practice. sometimes I used to wake him up for practice.Anways both Dada and dravid are better batsman(But in Odis I doubt because they never had d acceleration skill of yuvi).Acceleration is very vital in odi.Always felt he is very natural as an athlete. Won the  national skating championship even before taking up a career in Cricket.But as u said he had technical loopholes.So definitely Dada and Dravid are better batsman (even in odi).But I feel if initial laid back attitude or cancer didn't affect him he would have had  best stat after Kapil in Odis.And one more thing Aesthetically I find him more attractive than Dada,dravid and Dhoni(lol).Yes initially he struggles but on full flow he had d smoothest bat flow among Indian batsmen.

When in full flow, he is a beauty to watch. And yes, being gifted hasn't much to do with technique. However, it has a lot to do with how u adjust and adapt yourself to overcome your weaknesses in technique by your strength. Dada too had lots of faults in his technique, but he overcame those with his strength on off side and ability to step  n out and hit 6 with ease.. Yuvi actually failed to overcome his weaknesses, particularly against spin. He had been a bit inconsistent throughout his career. He frequently went to inexplicable bad patch every now and then. In fact, he was in awful form before 2011 WC too and there were question marks on his role in the team. Had he been consistent, he would have finished with much better odi stats, and an average closer to or higher than 40. But actually the weaknesses he has, restricted him from being more consistent.

Edited by DDfan2017
16 minutes ago, DDfan2017 said:

When in full flow, he is a beauty to watch. But had been a bit consistent throughout his career. He frequently went to inexplicable bad patch every now and then. In fact, he was in awful form before 2011 WC too and there were question marks on his role in the team. Had he been consistent, he would have finished with much better odi stats, much higher average. But actually the weaknesses he has, restricted him from being more consistent.

Yes I just hope he didn't have d dreadful c.It seemed like he was getting his act together then came d nightmare.But he was magical when he turned up.His game was not refined but he was more exciting to watch than Kohli,Sachin or Dhoni(I know I will get a lot of slack) during 2005-2009.In 2007 t20wc he really looked unstoppable. 

Edited by Sujithmb13
3 minutes ago, Sujithmb13 said:

Yes I just hope he didn't have d dreadful c.It seemed like he was getting his act together then came d nightmare.But he has magical when he turned up.His game was not refined but he was more exciting to watch than Kohli,Sachin or Dhoni(I know I will get a lot of slack) during 2005-2009.In 2007 t20wc he really looked unstoppable. 

No, I am talking about prior to being diagnosed with cancer. He often went to poor form very frequently throughout his career.

Yuvraj's problems were not just due to his technical deficiencies .Unlike Sehwag who didn't change his game for tests Yuvraj tried too hard when it came to tests. If he played his natural game he would have done lot better than his actual stats.

Yuvraj was also unlucky as he had to compete with big four for his place in middle order and he unlike Sehwag did not have mindset or self belief to open and become consistent member of the team.

Rohit on other hand has no such excuse, he is just too lazy to overcome his short comings. I really hope we have seen last of Rohit in tests.Decade is a long long time to assess a player. Him and Ishant should never play another test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, putrevus said:

Yuvraj's problems were not just due to his technical deficiencies .Unlike Sehwag who didn't change his game for tests Yuvraj tried too hard when it came to tests. If he played his natural game he would have done lot better than his actual stats.

Yuvraj was also unlucky as he had to compete with big four for his place in middle order and he unlike Sehwag did not have mindset or self belief to open and become consistent member of the team.

Rohit on other hand has no such excuse, he is just too lazy to overcome his short comings. I really hope we have seen last of Rohit in tests.Decade is a long long time to assess a player. Him and Ishant should never play another test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ishant can still b required abroad. His records have improved over the last 2-3 yrs in NZ and England. He and Umesh even bowled quite well in last home series too. But for Rohit in test matches- a big NO. I don't want to see Rohit in test as much as I don't want Rahane in LOIs.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:42 AM, Temujin Khaghan said:

both Yuvraj and Rohit have techniques with glaring holes. 

As far as I know Irfan Pathan is the biggest talent waste. Moron should have played 100 test matches for us. Probably would have completed 4000 runs and 350 wickets easily...

many say its laziness. 

Did have some injuries at the wrong time - and trained the wrong way to compound the problem.  I had very high hopes for Irfan, and he definitely was a good enough player to play more for the INdian team.   

But fair to say that he could have worked harder - Post 2011 it appears that he made a calculated decision to play minimal competitive cricket outside of IPL to extend his earning potential.  Backfired on him this past IPL season though.

6 hours ago, DDfan2017 said:

But with two double hundreds, and consistent performance even in Australia has already made Rohit reach greater heights.

Rohit has yet to play an ODI innings of substance to match the one he played in 2008 series against Australia.  Sure he's posted some massive scores, but has a very consistent tendency to go missing when the going gets tough.

6 hours ago, DDfan2017 said:

Ishant can still b required abroad. His records have improved over the last 2-3 yrs in NZ and England. He and Umesh even bowled quite well in last home series too. But for Rohit in test matches- a big NO. I don't want to see Rohit in test as much as I don't want Rahane in LOIs.

Please!! Ishant is crap. :p:

13 hours ago, sandeep said:

Rohit has yet to play an ODI innings of substance to match the one he played in 2008 series against Australia.  Sure he's posted some massive scores, but has a very consistent tendency to go missing when the going gets tough.

couldnt have put it better,this guy is champion of soft runs,no consistency,i am always pleasantly surprised when he scores in back to back games and obviously dont expect him to show up when its an important match.I always maintain ind should not waste time on talent like him in future again