Moeen Ali

As I said,proof that picking an all-rounder for the sake of it,doesn't help.... Ali is not the worst cricketer out there.....decent with bat and ball actually but suitable for only limited overs....despite what the record says,not test class...for LOI's sure but such players are a big no no for tests

Ali is getting exposed here as Anderson and co are not able to create that pressure which they do in England.Unless there is that pressure from one end Ali will not be able to take wickets.

Lyon on other hand has raised his level he is genuinely able to create pressure on his own which is commendable to a finger spinner and that too in Australia.Can Ashwin raise his levels.He is experimenting too much for my taste.  We should have won in Delhi but both Ashwin and Jadeja didn't do enough.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Ali is getting exposed here as Anderson and co are not able to create that pressure which they do in England.Unless there is that pressure from one end Ali will not be able to take wickets.

Lyon on other hand has raised his level he is genuinely able to create pressure on his own which is commendable to a finger spinner and that too in Australia.Can Ashwin raise his levels.He is experimenting too much for my taste.  We should have won in Delhi but both Ashwin and Jadeja didn't do enough.

i don't think so. he is not lyon/swann.

6 minutes ago, Vijy said:

i don't think so. he is not lyon/swann.

If that is the case what are we going to do with him, you can have one spinner play abroad and one play at home.It would be injustice to spinner who is playing abroad.The same dilemma England are facing, Anderson and co are fine at home but horrible away.How can you discard a bowler who is such a record pace.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

If that is the case what are we going to do with him, you can have one spinner play abroad and one play at home.It would be injustice to spinner who is playing abroad.The same dilemma England are facing, Anderson and co are fine at home but horrible away.How can you discard a bowler who is such a record pace.

play a wrist spinner abroad and ash/jaddu at home. it may sound unconventional but it seems the right way to go, esp. in Oz where finger spinners get slaughtered. I'd like to see Chahal, Kuldeep and Rahul Chahar get some "A" tours and play in long-formats. People don't think of Chahal as a long-format bowler, but he has improved in domestics over past 1-2 seasons.

Moeen Ali performance this ashes :

Batting : 179 runs at average of 19

Bowling : 5 wickets in 5 matches ( :hysterical: ) at an brandmanesque average of 115 

Is this worst ever performance in 5 match series,considering he was supposedly one of their main performers

4 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Bowling : 5 wickets in 5 matches ( :hysterical: ) at an brandmanesque average of 115 

Is this worst ever performance in 5 match series,considering he was supposedly one of their main performers

Nope, our very own manider singh sucked even more against pakistan, moen is 4th worst on this list

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=allround_average;orderbyad=reverse;qualmax4=40;qualmin2=500;qualmin3=5;qualmin5=5;qualval2=balls;qualval3=innings;qualval4=batting_average;qualval5=matches;template=results;tournament_type=2;type=allround;view=series

Edited by kira
5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

his bowling and batting avgs should be swapped. ali was utter crap, but eng will not discard him - quota selection and because he bats.

3 minutes ago, kira said:

maninder was utter crap when teams could play spin or when pitches did not aid him.