Can we rest Umesh,Jadeja and for Bhuvi and Kuldeep for dead rubber test

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

If that is the case fine. But resting players in Tests don't send the right message. 

Developing bench strength is important too.

And it can only be done in dead rubber matches against weak teams.

Otherwise, if there is an injury, the team will be forced to field a rookie or an out-of-touch player.

Moreover, there are usually a couple of replaceable floaters anyway.

32 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Developing bench strength is important too.

And it can only be done in dead rubber matches against weak teams.

Otherwise, if there is an injury, the team will be forced to field a rookie or an out-of-touch player.

Moreover, there are usually a couple of replaceable floaters anyway.

Pandya is the only floater i can think of right now. As much as he can be a good future all rounder, he is not much of use on these pitches especially when your captain hardly uses you. I would replace him with Bhuvi. Right now Ashwin/Saha all 3 can bat okay against a rubbish SL attack. Shami hardly gets to play any tests as he frequently goes missing in the Tests due to Injuries. Also Umesh is turning into a fantastic fast bowling machine for us. He should never miss any tests. More he plays the better. 

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Pandya is the only floater i can think of right now. As much as he can be a good future all rounder, he is not much of use on these pitches especially when your captain hardly uses you. I would replace him with Bhuvi. Right now Ashwin/Saha all 3 can bat okay against a rubbish SL attack. Shami hardly gets to play any tests as he frequently goes missing in the Tests due to Injuries. Also Umesh is turning into a fantastic fast bowling machine for us. He should never miss any tests. More he plays the better. 

Dhawan is a floater too.

The team wants to play Pandya in SA and he needs all the practice he can get in actual test matches.  Today, we saw him bowl 15 overs and take 2 wickets ( more overs and wickets than the 2 other quicks ). It will be even more difficult to drop him as Jaddu is not there and the team won't want the tail to start from No.8.

I want to play Shami too as he is coming back from injury and needs to bowl a lot.  But, it is not that he hardly gets to play any tests. He played in 10 test matches last season and averaged 26.    What he missed a lot was ODIs for 2 years.

Umesh is over-worked. He should have been rested in WI ODIs, but it did not happen.

13 hours ago, Mosher said:

Ishant will spice up the boring match with his antics. Remember how Ishant riled up Dhammika Prasad on the previous tour and he went chasing after Ishant to the dressing room :phehe: 

It was so funny he got close and then walked off doing nothing..Ishant did not even notice..lol

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

Dhawan is a floater too.

The team wants to play Pandya in SA and he needs all the practice he can get in actual test matches.  Today, we saw him bowl 15 overs and take 2 wickets ( more overs and wickets than the 2 other quicks ). It will be even more difficult to drop him as Jaddu is not there and the team won't want the tail to start from No.8.

I want to play Shami too as he is coming back from injury and needs to bowl a lot.  But, it is not that he hardly gets to play any tests. He played in 10 test matches last season and averaged 26.    What he missed a lot was ODIs for 2 years.

Umesh is over-worked. He should have been rested in WI ODIs, but it did not happen.

I would actually like to see Ishant bowl because he is going to be a very important ingredient for South Africa, if we are to perform well there.

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I would actually like to see Ishant bowl because he is going to be a very important ingredient for South Africa, if we are to perform well there.

It would be nice if we can test out Ishant, but can we afford to rest Shami  ?  He badly needs as much match practice he can get so that he can bowl 15 overs per day in South Africa.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

It would be nice if we can test out Ishant, but can we afford to rest Shami  ?  He badly needs as much match practice he can get so that he can bowl 15 overs per day in South Africa.

77 test matches and 80 ODIs and still mediocre. Is it still not enough? What to test out now? Every single talent(or no talent) we know by now. :laugh: When are we planning to move on from such mediocre bowlers?

15 minutes ago, Pollack said:

77 test matches and 80 ODIs and still mediocre. Is it still not enough? What to test out now? Every single talent(or no talent) we know by now. :laugh: When are we planning to move on from such mediocre bowlers?

You need a tall bowler with pace who can make the best use of south african pitches and also complement the pace of Yadav and the guile of Shami. Who else is the option you suggest for? Its horses for courses

19 minutes ago, Pollack said:

He is still in the test squad.

That means he is going to South Africa if fit.

We will play 3 pacers in SA.

If one of Shami, Umesh and Bhuvi are unfit.... he will be in the playing 11.  He may anyway be in the 11 as the " bounce bowler "

So, I was talking about testing his match fitness.

It is immaterial what I or you want..... he will be in the squad.

p.s -  If I had my way, I would replace Ishant with Bumrah in the test squad and play him in the 3rd test.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

You need a tall bowler with pace who can make the best use of south african pitches and also complement the pace of Yadav and the guile of Shami. Who else is the option you suggest for? Its horses for courses

Sorry Ishant is done, he had enough chances, if you think he will do anything worth while in SA you are sadly mistaken.70 plus tests is not a small sample.

Rest Umesh- bring in Ishant ( As much as i dislike the guy, he needs match practice before SA where we need 3 genuine quicks to make use of fast pitches- Not Bhuvi as he has had match practice in the WI ODIs and not Ishant and he wont be more useful then Ishant in South Africa)

Two changes will be Kuldeep for Jadeja and Ishant for Umesh

We should not treat any Test match as a "dead rubber testing ground". New players should be given an opportunity when they are in form and this can happen in "live" rubbers or "dead" rubbers. England did not wait for a "dead" rubber to hand over debuts to 3 players.  We should end this regressive attitude that new players are incapable of performing in "live" rubbers. 

Bhuvi should be given a chance, not on the basis of a dead rubber, but because he is equally as good if not better than the other pacers and should have a fair shot at a place in the team. Kuldeep should also walk in, a decision made easier with Jadeja's ban. I don't see a need for any other changes. Only problem with both Kuldeep and Ashwin playing is that we don't have any spinner who takes the ball away from the right hander naturally. 

10 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

How about the Great Khali? He is taller than Ishant and with his muscles, should be able to generate some pace. 

PS: Sick and tired of this tall bowler excuse that keeps Ishant in the team till eternity. 

9 hours ago, Texan said:

How about the Great Khali? He is taller than Ishant and with his muscles, should be able to generate some pace. 

PS: Sick and tired of this tall bowler excuse that keeps Ishant in the team till eternity. 

Funny! Hope you laughed, if noone else! Explain to me why Ishant is in the team, and not Khali then? If he is in the team, he is definitely he is going to SA.

14 hours ago, Texan said:

We should not treat any Test match as a "dead rubber testing ground". New players should be given an opportunity when they are in form and this can happen in "live" rubbers or "dead" rubbers. England did not wait for a "dead" rubber to hand over debuts to 3 players.  We should end this regressive attitude that new players are incapable of performing in "live" rubbers. 

Bhuvi should be given a chance, not on the basis of a dead rubber, but because he is equally as good if not better than the other pacers and should have a fair shot at a place in the team. Kuldeep should also walk in, a decision made easier with Jadeja's ban. I don't see a need for any other changes. Only problem with both Kuldeep and Ashwin playing is that we don't have any spinner who takes the ball away from the right hander naturally. 

Interesting point. Yes. a debutant should do well regardless of how important the Test is. 

7 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Funny! Hope you laughed, if noone else! Explain to me why Ishant is in the team, and not Khali then? If he is in the team, he is definitely he is going to SA.

Because he is still in his "testing" phase even after 70+ Tests. Someday he will show results, maybe after 150 - 160 Tests. Tall and phasshhhht bowlers deserve at least 150 Tests for "testing".