Bollywood's most impactful films

zen

On 8/7/2017 at 1:28 PM, zen said:

I recently watched Arzoo (1965) starring Rajendra Kumar, Sadhna and Feroz Khan. The film has held up well despite the time. It has the hard to describe quality that is not rarely seen in regular Bollywood films. If I have to expand my list, I would be tempted to include this one:

PS 1991's Saajan has shades of Arzoo

Sadhana was a good actress,Mera saaya is one of my favorite movies.

OP has mentioned the word impactful therefore I will list down few of the movies I can think of:

1. Sholay: glamorized Daaku and also made a huge impact on the word dosti. I have heard that college going student of those days use to idolize the friendship of Jay and Veeru. Gabbar became a symbol of bad man.

2. Deewar: Glamorized mafia. For the first time hero was no more usual good boy played by Jitendra, Rajesh Khanna neither was someone fighting against bad man like Dharmendra. A hero who somehow justified his wrong doings and with "phenke paise nahi uthata " attitude. Clearly best of Bacchan. Even his shirt style used to get copied those days.

3. Qayamat se Qayamat Tak: Glamorized chikna hero and eloping. The instances of boy girl eloping became a trend after this movie and this got more strengthen with Dil movie but clearly QSQT had impact on teenagers. Rebel against parents and samaaj. 

4. Darr: Glamorized Psycho lovers. Shahrukh Khan character created a huge impact on cine goers. Believe me writing letter with blood and cutting the wrists became very common after this movie.

5. DDLJ: Glamorized cool hero culture. Yes this movie brought the trend of designer jackets, cool hero who is neither chikna nor macho but had a great sense of humor. Movie made couple of things very popular like Europe trip, Punjab ke sarso ke khet, story of NRI , karwa chauth and srk also keeping vrat made life misreable for lot of Indian husband. I think girls still consider the character of Raj as perfect character they wanna see in their BF.

Will come up with set of next movies some other time.

Edited by Khalpat

Strange not to read many names

Lagaan 

Jaane bhi do yaaro

Dil chahta hai- the movie pretty much started the multiplex movie culture 

Satya and company

Khosla ka ghosla 

Rang de basanti

Kahaani

It baffles me how we keep underminning pre

Talking of old films- Kagaaz ke phool, albela, Jaagte raho(one of the most underrated films), pyaasa

On 8/24/2017 at 11:27 PM, Muloghonto said:

Pink. Best movie i've seen in a while- from any of the 'woods'

PINK is a top notch movie.

But Zen's thread is about 'impactful' cinema. One could measure impact in terms of influence on the society in general or influence on film making themes in the future or recall value a few decades into the future. PINK would score abysmally on most of these metrics.

For example, DDLJ ushered in this trend of NRI romances in Bollywood. And that stuck around for a while.

I do not think PINK is an 'impactful' film at all. Or maybe @ zen needs to clarify what exactly can be called as 'impactful'.

21 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

PINK is a top notch movie.

But Zen's thread is about 'impactful' cinema. One could measure impact in terms of influence on the society in general or influence on film making themes in the future or recall value a few decades into the future. PINK would score abysmally on most of these metrics.

For example, DDLJ ushered in this trend of NRI romances in Bollywood. And that stuck around for a while.

I do not think PINK is an 'impactful' film at all. Or maybe @ zen needs to clarify what exactly can be called as 'impactful'.

Fair point. i saw 'impacting' as impacting the audience. Pink connects with the person. DDLJ was like fast food for a hungry man- good but easily forgotten.

Never seen it but when I was younger I remember Bandit queen as being one of the most controversial film ever made(for that time)

Kamasutra but I guess that was a Hollywood production...actually saw that one but never knew what the hype was about(maybe because we discovered the internet by then)

On 8/7/2017 at 2:01 PM, zen said:

Many Bollywood films have been nominated for Oscars, won major international awards and broken box office records, below are a few that have made a lasting impact for one or a combination of reasons from subject / story, dialogues, cinematography, background score, songs, direction, acting, etc. In no particular order (may be in the order of release):

• Awara
  • Shree 420
  • Naya Daur
  • Madhumati
  • Mughal-e-Azam
  • Pakeezah 
  • Dangal 

Waqt

motherindia

Sholay

Kuch Kuch hota hai 

Baiju Bawra

Silsila or SLUM DOG MILLIONAIRE 

kabhi khushi kabhi gum

Edited by Wapas

On 8/7/2017 at 2:01 PM, zen said:

Many Bollywood films have been nominated for Oscars, won major international awards and broken box office records, below are a few that have made a lasting impact for one or a combination of reasons from subject / story, dialogues, cinematography, background score, songs, direction, acting, etc. In no particular order (may be in the order of release):

• Awara
  • Shree 420
  • Naya Daur
  • Madhumati
  • Mughal-e-Azam
  • Pakeezah 
  • Dangal 

awara was a big hit in soviet union back then... or so I've been told. I think mother india could be added to that list. got a lot of critical acclaim. the same goes for films by guru dutt, esp. in terms of advancing how songs were rendered. great cinematography in his films.