Top 10 cricketers of the last 40 years

5 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Ambrose, Lara and Ponting  and no Marshall, no Imran, no SMG. Strange list. 

Marshall belonged to perhaps the greatest team of all time, especially bowling wise. Hence he  enjoyed a bit more support  from the 'team work' than the other 3 bowlers in the list.And Marshall was not equally brilliant in both formats like the other 3.He didn't have their longevity either.

SMG at the best was only a good category batsman in one dayers. He lacked longevity in  one dayers too.

And w.r.t Imran , as I have always maintained taking the difference between plain bat avg: & bowl avg: is as sense less as it can get.Imran's bat avg: is hugely inflated by not outs.Kapil's murderous str: rate, his record in West Indies & the difference in quality  between their big inns on the average in every sense(which i  have personally analysed very deeply) makes Kapil convincingly better a batsman for me. In test bowling too, Kapil's longevity,support bowling unit strength & work density played a huge part in

deceiding his end avg:. And in one dayers Kapil was the better all rounder.If Imran was slightly better captain, Kapil was even more better all round fielder.So all in all , for me Kapil was the better all rounder(at the least I just can't accept with some body who considers Imran convincingly superior to Kapil.In other words they were at least on same levels ).

Now taking into account  the fact of tampering allegations against  Imran , that is the final nail on the coffin with even dismissing all the above said matters.This places Botham too above Imran. 

Edited by rtmohanlal
19 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

Marshall belonged to perhaps the greatest team of all time, especially bowling wise. Hence he  enjoyed a bit more support  from the 'team work' than the other 3 bowlers in the list.And Marshall was not equally brilliant in both formats like the other 3.He didn't have their longevity either.

SMG at the best was only a good category batsman in one dayers. He lacked longevity in  one dayers too.

And w.r.t Imran , as I have always maintained taking the difference between plain bat avg: & bowl avg: is as sense less as it can get.Imran's bat avg: is hugely inflated by not outs.Kapil's murderous str: rate, his record in West Indies & the difference in quality  between their big inns on the average in every sense(which i  have personally analysed very deeply) makes Kapil convincingly better a batsman for me. In test bowling too, Kapil's longevity,support bowling unit strength & work density played a huge part in

deceiding his end avg:. And in one dayers Kapil was the better all rounder.If Imran was slightly better captain, Kapil was even more better all round fielder.So all in all , for me Kapil was the better all rounder(at the least I just can't accept with some body who considers Imran convincingly superior to Kapil.In other words they were at least on same levels ).

Now taking into account  the fact of tampering allegations against  Imran , that is the final nail on the coffin with even dismissing all the above said matters.This places Botham too above Imran. 

DIfference between Imran as a bowler and Kapil as bowler is more than Kapil as batsman and Imran as batsman. Lack of support doesn't change the fact that Imran is consistently rated as one of the best pacer in history of test cricket.

I cannot understand why Viv Richards' is considered brave because he does not wear helmet?

Viv chose not to wear a helmet, nobody forced him to do so. And this is cricket, it's a game not a war. You get credit for scoring runs and not by displaying macho behaviour by showing how you don't fear fast leather ball. Greenidge wore a helmet most of his career against fast bowlers, does that make him less of a man? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Viv, he's probably the greatest player of fast bowling the game has ever seen, but I don't buy all those romanticized talks of his bravery of not wearing a helmet.

Edited by MechEng
14 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

DIfference between Imran as a bowler and Kapil as bowler is more than Kapil as batsman and Imran as batsman. Lack of support doesn't change the fact that Imran is consistently rated as one of the best pacer in history of test cricket.

first removing longevity,  Kapils' avg: stood at 28.86 after first  21000 balls.(hope you would agree on this because had Imran went on bowling 27000+ balls as Kapil did his avg: would have reached at far more than 22.81.This  is because of the factor of terminal decline, which is the most severely affected  for 'all rounders' because of their multi tasks in hand)

So 22.81/28.86 = 79% a bowler to Imran.

Now just assume that Kapil bowled these 21000 balls  by taking as much breathing space as Imran did between tours(this is most emphatically reflected in Kapil's dip in stats due to not taking adequate rest & there by not getting his injury & surgery completely healed after the knee surgery of his in 1983), with the same sort of support bowling strength that Imran enjoyed(playing in the company of Waqar,Wasim & other calibre bowlers  is vastly different than that in the company  of Binny, Madanlal & co), I  am sure that  Kapil would have ended at around 26.85 avg: .

So  22.81/26.85 = 85% a bowler to Imran.

Naturally  when avg: increases as a whole, the avg:s in individual countries too would improve.After that, giving more weightage to str: rate than econ: in tests, most weightage to avg: & str: rate   in best country(Windies), more  weightage to avg:s & str: rates in abroad non minnow countries    than that in home country etc etc, that efficiency increases to lot more than 85%.This because even at 28.86(79% efficiency stage) stage, Kapil's str:rate stood at around 91% as that of Imran,his

avg: was the better in Windies, his avg:s in other non minnow abroad countries  differed much lesser from Imran's corresponding figures than what was the case with home conditions.

So all in all, in my mind Kapil was around 87% a test bowler to that of Imran.And in batting I can't place Imran at more than 90% to Kapil because of vast str: rate difference( 47.52:84+), figures in WI, & qlty difference on the avg: w.r.t big inns played.     So Kapil was  slightly better a test all rounder for me because 10% difference in weaker discipline(batting)  is more than enough to over come 13% difference in bowling as the criteria at our hand being 'better all rounder' .

In one dayers Kapil was better all rounder. Though Imran was slightly better captain, Kapil was even better all round fielder.

Before considering all the above,take into account ball tampering. That itself is enough  to place Kapil above Imran.   

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

first removing longevity,  Kapils' avg: stood at 28.86 after first  21000 balls.(hope you would agree on this because had Imran went on bowling 27000+ balls as Kapil did his avg: would have reached at far more than 22.81.This  is because of the factor of terminal decline, which is the most severely affected  for 'all rounders' because of their multi tasks in hand)

So 22.81/28.86 = 79% a bowler to Imran.

Now just assume that Kapil bowled these 21000 balls  by taking as much breathing space as Imran did between tours(this is most emphatically reflected in Kapil's dip in stats due to not taking adequate rest & there by not getting his injury & surgery completely healed after the knee surgery of his in 1983), with the same sort of support bowling strength that Imran enjoyed(playing in the company of Waqar,Wasim & other calibre bowlers  is vastly different than that in the company  of Binny, Madanlal & co), I  am sure that  Kapil would have ended at around 26.85 avg: .

So  22.81/26.85 = 85% a bowler to Imran.

Naturally  when avg: increases as a whole, the avg:s in individual countries too would improve.After that, giving more weightage to str: rate than econ: in tests, most weightage to avg: & str: rate   in best country(Windies), more  weightage to avg:s & str: rates in abroad non minnow countries    than that in home country etc etc, that efficiency increases to lot more than 85%.This because even at 28.86(79% efficiency stage) stage, Kapil's str:rate stood at around 91% as that of Imran,his

avg: was the better in Windies, his avg:s in other non minnow abroad countries  differed much lesser from Imran's corresponding figures than what was the case with home conditions.

So all in all, in my mind Kapil was around 87% a test bowler to that of Imran.And in batting I can't place Imran at more than 90% to Kapil because of vast str: rate difference( 47.52:84+), figures in WI, & qlty difference on the avg: w.r.t big inns played.     So Kapil was  slightly better a test all rounder for me because 10% difference in weaker discipline(batting)  is more than enough to over come 13% difference in bowling as the criteria at our hand being 'better all rounder' .

In one dayers Kapil was better all rounder. Though Imran was slightly better captain, Kapil was even better all round fielder.

Before considering all the above,take into account ball tampering. That itself is enough  to place Kapil above Imran.   

Some random numbers at best. Kapil never averaged below 26 after first probably 150 wickets. There are very little chances that he could have ended close to that. Otherwise he was late 20 averaging bowler most of the time. Imran had Wasim firing in late 80 (debut in 85?) and waqar in 90s (debut Dec 89). Imran bowled on his own most of his career (1971-1991). He had Wasim for doing well for his 3-4 years of his active bowling career.

Taking ratio of averages don't give you relative strength of bowlers because it's much more difficult to reduce by 5 points when you avg 35 than from 25-20. A simple distribution of bolwers with averages will show lower density of bowlers around 20-25 Mark and higher density around 28-34 mark. Ishant is not half the bowler McGrath or Steyn or Donald, forget about being 65-70% which their averages ratio would be.

Random number of 90% in batting. What's the importance of SR in test cricket? If you face more balls, then you allow more partnerships to grow. 

Imran scored more runs than Kapil did in same number of innings. Can't check stats atm but Imran had some 3800 runs in 126 innings and Kapil scored 3300 or 3500 runs in same number of innings. Test cricket is 5 days game. Team would benefit more from a lower order batsman scoring 35 from 70 balls than 30 in 40 balls. 

4 hours ago, MechEng said:

I cannot understand why Viv Richards' is considered brave because he does not wear helmet?

Viv chose not to wear a helmet, nobody forced him to do so. And this is cricket, it's a game not a war. You get credit for scoring runs and not by displaying macho behaviour by showing how you don't fear fast leather ball.

Cricket was war till the 1990s.

It was all about trying to hit the batsman on the body and trying to intimidate the batters.

It was all about macho behaviour and making the opposition afraid about physical injury.

A hit on the body drew much more appreciation from many stadium crowds rather than taking a wicket.

Imran khan 

Shane Warne

Wasim akram 

Viv Richards

Glenn Mcgrath

Adam Gilchrist 

Ricky Ponting

Curtly ambrose

Muttiah Muralitharan 

Sachin Tendulkar 

Lol @ having Kapil dev on the list . I understand the whole point is to pick a team that you deem best but objectively kapil should be nowhere near such a list . 

He isnt rated by any neutral really and without being biased i feel that he was very mediocre compared to many others , perhaps a case of having him in the top 100 but nothing more .

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

Dude, I like your posts, but this is some fuzzy math.

first longevity is removed from the equation.Kapil was in terminal decline after  first 21000  balls in his career.At that point he avg:ed 28.86.Imran in his whole career of some 19550 balls avg:ed 22.81. It is only sensible to assume that had Imran went on bowling some 27000+ balls like Kapil did, his avg: would have been far  more than 22.81.So I think this way when analysing Kapil's career  in that what would have been  his avg: had he bowled just 21000 balls only( the nearest milestone point as to that of Imran  where he avg:ed the best) in his entire career with advantages in both work density & support bowling unit  in the levels as Imran enjoyed ?

firstly 22.81/28.86 = 79% (when longevity alone removed)

Now I firmaly believe that with advantages in both work density & support bowling unit  in the levels as Imran enjoyed Kapil would have avg:ed around 26.85 , an increase by 2 from 28.86 .

22.81/26.86 = 85%.

You may agree or disagree with me with  regard to the extend by which these 2 factors would have improved Kapil's avg:. But you can't deny the postitive effects of these 2 factors by 'some' margin ? Isn't it ?

Playing with Wasim,Waqar,Sarfraz,Qadir,Iqbal Qasim is not the same as playing along with Binny,Madan lal, & co etc etc.Similarly bowling first 19500 balls in just '8 years & 5 months' is so different from doing that in long 21 years.Isn't it?

'

Edited by rtmohanlal
6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Cricket was war till the 1990s.

It was all about trying to hit the batsman on the body and trying to intimidate the batters.

It was all about macho behaviour and making the opposition afraid about physical injury.

A hit on the body drew much more appreciation from many stadium crowds rather than taking a wicket.

You're right, but that was a wrong approach. If South Africa loses a test series to Sri Lanka, would Sri Lanka colonize SA and exploit it's economy? No such thing happens because it's a game after all.

Fast bowling is awesome but we must also be considerate to a batsman's safety, a fatal injury would impact their whole life.

9 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Some random numbers at best. Kapil never averaged below 26 after first probably 150 wickets. There are very little chances that he could have ended close to that. Otherwise he was late 20 averaging bowler most of the time. Imran had Wasim firing in late 80 (debut in 85?) and waqar in 90s (debut Dec 89). Imran bowled on his own most of his career (1971-1991). He had Wasim for doing well for his 3-4 years of his active bowling career.

Taking ratio of averages don't give you relative strength of bowlers because it's much more difficult to reduce by 5 points when you avg 35 than from 25-20. A simple distribution of bolwers with averages will show lower density of bowlers around 20-25 Mark and higher density around 28-34 mark. Ishant is not half the bowler McGrath or Steyn or Donald, forget about being 65-70% which their averages ratio would be.

Random number of 90% in batting. What's the importance of SR in test cricket? If you face more balls, then you allow more partnerships to grow. 

Imran scored more runs than Kapil did in same number of innings. Can't check stats atm but Imran had some 3800 runs in 126 innings and Kapil scored 3300 or 3500 runs in same number of innings. Test cricket is 5 days game. Team would benefit more from a lower order batsman scoring 35 from 70 balls than 30 in 40 balls. 

These are not some random numbers.I wonder as to why you dismiss them as 'random no:'.

first longevity is removed from the equation.Kapil was in terminal decline after  first 21000  balls in his career.At that point he avg:ed 28.86.Imran in his whole career of some 19550 balls avg:ed 22.81. It is only sensible to assume that had Imran went on bowling some 27000+ balls like Kapil did, his avg: would have been far  more than 22.81.So I think this way when analysing Kapil's career  in that what would have been  his avg: had he bowled just 21000 balls only( the nearest milestone point as to that of Imran  where he avg:ed the best) in his entire career with advantages in both work density & support bowling unit  in the levels as Imran enjoyed ?

Now I firmaly believe that with advantages in both work density & support bowling unit  in the levels as Imran enjoyed Kapil would have avg:ed around 26.85 , an increase by 2 from 28.86 .

22.81/26.86 = 85%.

You may agree or disagree with me with  regard to the extend by which these 2 factors would have improved Kapil's avg:. But you can't deny the postitive effects of these 2 factors by 'some' margin ? Isn't it ?Hence this is not any 'random number', but basically, evaluating Kapil's  bowl avg: on the basis of adverse effects of  longevity, support bowling strength & work density.

Playing with Wasim,Waqar,Sarfraz,Qadir,Iqbal Qasim is not the same as playing along with Binny,Madan lal, & co etc

etc.Similarly bowling first 19500 balls in just '8 years & 5 months' is so different from doing that in long 21 years.Isn't it?

Now you may highly doubt as to just because of the advantages in these 2 factors namely work density & support bowling unit  in the levels as Imran enjoyed , would Kapil's bowl avg:  have improved by 2 from 28.86 to 26.86.Here are some data to support my claims.

Kapil had 247 wkts in his first 62 tests(4 wkts/test) in just 5 years & 5 months time.Then came the knee injury
and surgery. Kapil just ignored this and continued playing immediately.The result was only 64 wkts in next non stop 26 tests
(2.46 wkts/test) with in about 2.5 years time. In his first 62 tests he avg:ed 27.72.In the next 26 tests he avg:ed 35+.Had he taken complete rest and turned out to play again after getting this injury fully healed,  would his figures been so distorted in that it went from 4 wkts/test to  2.46 wkts/test? I don't think so.Similarly going by this incident there is every possible chance that despite him not being fully fit(this can be mentally or physically),he turned out to play. So Kapil placed country before self and hence his stats suffered.So this factor of 'playing too much  in too little time periods' or let us say 'work density' affected Kapil's stats adversely a lot.

I  hand picked 88 tests(no: of tests that Imran played) of Kapil spread over
'his series with most number of wkts/tests'.i could find that he gathered 351 wkts from these 88 tests.Not much of a
difference from Imran who has 362 wkts from 88 tests.this is a true relfection of the effect that both 'longevity' and
'work load and attitude' combined had on Kapil's bowling figures. 

Once some one posted some data w.r.t percentage of top order wkts of great bowlers.Kapil came 3rd in the list with 46+ %

of top order wkts despite playing a large no: of 131 tests. 

All the above  data convince me about the 'extend' by which Kapil's bowl avg: would have improved had he bowled just 21000 balls only( the nearest milestone point as to that of Imran  where he avg:ed the best) in his entire career with advantages in both work density & support bowling unit  in the levels as Imran enjoyed.To me that +2 in avg: from 28.86 to 26.86 is just a realistic figure and not exaggerated by any stretch.

Now w.r.t batting.

Imran    126 inns, 25 not out,  3807 runs, avg: 37.69   str:rate  47.52   runs/inns  30.21     
 Kapil    130 inns, 10 not out,  3884 runs, avg: 32.37   str:rate  84.40   runs/inns  29.88(after this milestone Kapil's

terminal decline started)

The above data is w.r.t Kapil's batting in first meaning ful 130 inns(In the above stats, Of the actual 132 inns in these 92 tests, two '0' not outs are removed because they contribute nothing to runs/inns value and so are dummy not outs) .You can see there is virtually no difference in runs/inns value. Another thing is how this large % age of not outs highly inflate Imran's bat avg:. The best way to evaluate Imran's bat avg: is to assume in practical  lines as to how his avg: would have ended ,had he went on uninterruptedly with his not out inns and  eventually remained not out only 10 times as Kapil did. I am just assuming here that he would have at the best put on some 300 runs more (20 runs/ inns. Even this is too much ) .So 3807 + 300 = 4107. Avg: = 4107/116 = 35.41. In this process ,agreed that his runs/inns value would have increased to 4107/126 = 32.59 

Both Imran's & Kapil's avg: batting position thru out their career was  on the avg: 7.06 & 7.17 respectively.Not much of difference here.But  Kapil scored 29.88 runs/inns  in just  35.4 balls where as Imran scored  30.21 runs/inns  in  63.57 balls .

From the above  data, it can be assumed that what  Imran did generally was to  give support to top order batsmen above him,feed of from there 'well set' situation, then  get set and score runs in the company of lower order batsmen.What Kapil did in general was  to take on the bowlers and score runs almost single handedly in the company of lower order batsmen.For me the Kapil's case is  more vital & difficult because Imran could feed of from well set  batsmen before him  by playing out some balls before getting set. Naturally when Kapil played big inns, he did it all by himself which is even more difficult a task.On the other hand Imran fed of from well set batsmen even more when he scored big. I am saying this so assuredly because I have went thru each and every one of their big inns in detail.  In general when you are playing at 7th batting position, scoring fastly is more diffucult  & vital when compared to grinding it out .And this is even more so when playing big inns.Had there a  difference of atleast a 6 runs/inns  in favour of Imran , I would have agreed with you.But the difference being virtually nil ,29.88 : 30.21 Kapil's contribution of agressive scoring has more weightage for me.

Now on a side note , late 30s to early 40s was the norm str: rate those days.It is there that Kapil's was 84.4 .Even Viv had only around 70. Take some one like Kallis.He scored some 5000+ runs more, avg:ed 5+ more than Viv. Why Viv is considered one of the undisputed legendary batsman  where as Kallis remains only one among the several  greats? Why??? It is because of Viv's aggresive batting(taking game to the opposition).In short, what Viv did emphatically (taking game to the opposition) 

at  middle order, Kapil did even more emphatically  at lower order with an  84.4 str: rate.This is truely reflected in almost all of Kapil's big inns.He destroyed quality bowling attacks all alone himself from precarious back to the wall team positions when he scored big.  Another factor is, Kapil was the best in every sense in Windies(best team of their era).So all in all ,if Kallis can't be placed at more than 93% in a Viv-Kallis comparison, I can't place  Imran at more than 90% in a Kapil-Imran compariso.n

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

These are not some random numbers.I wonder as to why you dismiss them as 'random no:'.

22.81/26.86 = 85%.

You may agree or disagree with me with  regard to the extend by which these 2 factors would have improved Kapil's avg:. But you can't deny the postitive effects of these 2 factors by 'some' margin ? Isn't it ?Hence this is not any 'random number', but basically, evaluating Kapil's  bowl avg: on the basis of adverse effects of  longevity, support bowling strength & work density.

Playing with Wasim,Waqar,Sarfraz,Qadir,Iqbal Qasim is not the same as playing along with Binny,Madan lal, & co etc

etc.Similarly bowling first 19500 balls in just '8 years & 5 months' is so different from doing that in long 21 years.Isn't it?

Now you may highly doubt as to just because of the advantages in these 2 factors namely work density & support bowling unit  in the levels as Imran enjoyed , would Kapil's bowl avg:  have improved by 2 from 28.86 to 26.86.Here are some data to support my claims.

Kapil had 247 wkts in his first 62 tests(4 wkts/test) in just 5 years & 5 months time.Then came the knee injury
and surgery. Kapil just ignored this and continued playing immediately.The result was only 64 wkts in next non stop 26 tests
(2.46 wkts/test) with in about 2.5 years time. In his first 62 tests he avg:ed 27.72.In the next 26 tests he avg:ed 35+.Had he taken complete rest and turned out to play again after getting this injury fully healed,  would his figures been so distorted in that it went from 4 wkts/test to  2.46 wkts/test? I don't think so.Similarly going by this incident there is every possible chance that despite him not being fully fit(this can be mentally or physically),he turned out to play. So Kapil placed country before self and hence his stats suffered.So this factor of 'playing too much  in too little time periods' or let us say 'work density' affected Kapil's stats adversely a lot

Would have and should have doesn't work in test cricket. Those are as random as I have ever seen claiming without any basis.

Btw, why 26.86 and why not 26.82 or 26.87? 

2 hours ago, MechEng said:

You're right, but that was a wrong approach. If South Africa loses a test series to Sri Lanka, would Sri Lanka colonize SA and exploit it's economy? No such thing happens because it's a game after all.

Fast bowling is awesome but we must also be considerate to a batsman's safety, a fatal injury would impact their whole life.

It was war, not in the sense of colonizing the defeated.... but in the sense that opponent teams wanted to hurt each other physically and make them grovel.

Watch the movie, " Fire in Babylon " and you will get an idea.

There were chants in Australian and West Indian stadiums wanting the bowler to hit the batsman on the body and hurt them bad.  

The world was a different place then and human safety was not that much of a concern.

I remember playing cricket as a school kid in the late '80s.... I was a tall, big kid and played with much older guys.....was often forced to bat using just one pad,  a pair of gloves and abdomen guard,  as equipments were not always available to anyone.  There was no 2nd pad and helmets were out of the question.   Guys 10 years older than me often bowled from 18 or 19 yards, bowling huge no balls, trying to hit me on the head with bouncers or beamers.  That was how cricket was played then.  

Everything was different then.

I know it was not the right approach but that was how it was.  Bleeding and getting injured was fairly common.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Would have and should have doesn't work in test cricket. Those are as random as I have ever seen claiming without any basis.

Btw, why 26.86 and why not 26.82 or 26.87? 

26.86 is just a rounded figure in all probablity. if 'would have' & 'should have'  doesn't work, i do not find any meaning in one-one comparisons either. For instance, a bowler who bowled along with Wasim,Waqar,Iqbal Qasim would benefit a lot in numbers than another one who bowled with Binny,Madanlal,Maninder.This because likes of Wasim,Waqar with far more capacity to  create wicket taking deliveries in frequent intervals would change the match situations positively   considerably thru out the match.Naturally the bowler under consideration can benefit a lot especially econ: wise when compared to another bowler who has Binny,Madanlal  as partners who can't strike even in remotely closer levels  to Wasim,Waqar.This is only a matter of simple cricket sense, i feel.Any body who has watched  test cricket practically some what, can understand this.

And  even if  keeping aside what all I said , still I can't rate Imran the bowler just as I used to once  because of tampering allegations.The data 'Muloghonto' put forward  w.r.t his  tampering expertrise periods are really eye opening.As Balwinder Sandhu points out, he can't just place Imran above Kapil just for this matter alone.

Edited by rtmohanlal
34 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

26.86 is just a rounded figure in all probablity. if 'would have' & 'should have'  doesn't work, i do not find any meaning in one-one comparisons either. For instance, a bowler who bowled along with Wasim,Waqar,Iqbal Qasim would benefit a lot in numbers than another one who bowled with Binny,Madanlal,Maninder.

Wasim joined Imran in 1985 and became a force bowler by 1987-88. How does Waqar comes in the equation. He started his career in Dec 1989, when Imran had stopped bowling frequently. 

Kapil bowler along with better spinners than Iqbal Qasim. Imran did well on his most of his career. 

This is like saying that SRT benefited from batting of Kohli and Pujara.

42 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Wasim joined Imran in 1985 and became a force bowler by 1987-88. How does Waqar comes in the equation. He started his career in Dec 1989, when Imran had stopped bowling frequently. 

Kapil bowler along with better spinners than Iqbal Qasim. Imran did well on his most of his career. 

This is like saying that SRT benefited from batting of Kohli and Pujara.

Now let me get to the exact support bowling data of both Kapil & Imran.Imran's is for his entire career & Kapil's is for his first 21000 balls( the milestone before his terminal decline started) where he avg:ed 28.87. The 'extends' of support Imran got from Wasim & Waqar  and  all other bowlers  gets   included in this data.This data is obtained from an advanced filter search in cricinfo.

total PAK  39354 RUNS  1297 WKTS  AVG: 30.34
iMRAN       8258        362 WKTS  AVG: 22.81
OTHERS     31096        935 WKTS  AVG: 33.26

TOTAL IND  46175       1292 WKTS  AVG:  35.74
kAPIL      10222        354 WKTS  AVG:  28.87
OTHERS     35953    938 WKTS  AVG:  38.33

bowling support avg: of Imran is 33.26 & that of Kapil is 38.33.In other words if both IND and PAK consisted of 4 main bowlers each including Imran & Kapil in the team ,the other 3 bowlers of PAK  each avg:ed 33.26 while for IND each of them avg:ed  38.33.And this was the case in each match on the avg: both these players played.When we read as a whole, we can see as to how big the gap was between support bowling units .

13 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

Now let me get to the exact support bowling data of both Kapil & Imran.Imran's is for his entire career & Kapil's is for his first 21000 balls( the milestone before his terminal decline started) where he avg:ed 28.87. The 'extends' of support Imran got from Wasim & Waqar  and  all other bowlers  gets   included in this data.This data is obtained from an advanced filter search in cricinfo.

total PAK  39354 RUNS  1297 WKTS  AVG: 30.34
iMRAN       8258        362 WKTS  AVG: 22.81
OTHERS     31096        935 WKTS  AVG: 33.26

TOTAL IND  46175       1292 WKTS  AVG:  35.74
kAPIL      10222        354 WKTS  AVG:  28.87
OTHERS     35953    938 WKTS  AVG:  38.33

bowling support avg: of Imran is 33.26 & that of Kapil is 38.33.In other words if both IND and PAK consisted of 4 main bowlers each including Imran & Kapil in the team ,the other 3 bowlers of PAK  each avg:ed 33.26 while for IND each of them avg:ed  38.33.And this was the case in each match on the avg: both these players played.When we read as a whole, we can see as to how big the gap was between support bowling units .

Other excelled with better bowling of Imran. Kapil wasn't that good to help other bowlers?