Abhinav Mukund writes about the insults based on his skin color

Trichromatic

9 hours ago, beetle said:

No, goswami is not being petty.

He is just reminding that discrimination of all kinds is bad. 

He has faced it from  Abhinav Mukand and he is right in asking  the question.

Mukund and many other come off looking like hypocrites when they assume that only their pain at discrimination/ ridicule  is pain....but rest all chalta hai.

You are focusing on mukund and not on  the bigger issue of dark skin discrimination. I am  talking about the racism issue. The messenger may be a hypocrite but it does not mean his message does not resonate with millions of people in  india. Goswami is being petty because he knows how big of an issue this is in india and instead of allowing mukund to say something powerful and bring it out in the open he has negated him and now people are concentrating on both of their tweets instead of the issue which is important. If celebrities don't talk about this then when will things change?? 

24 minutes ago, Book_Worm said:

You are focusing on mukund and not on  the bigger issue of dark skin discrimination. I am  talking about the racism issue. The messenger may be a hypocrite but it does not mean his message does not resonate with millions of people in  india. Goswami is being petty because he knows how big of an issue this is in india and instead of allowing mukund to say something powerful and bring it out in the open he has negated him and now people are concentrating on both of their tweets instead of the issue which is important. If celebrities don't talk about this then when will things change?? 

Why do you think racism based on color is more important to deal with and not body shaming? 

Body shaming and other forms of discrimination are as bad and probably more prevalent in the world.

Just because color discrimination has been given a name , it doesn't mean it is more problematic than other forms of discrimination.

Keeping names aside, Sreevats tweet just adds other forms of discriminations to the debate and the hypocricy of people while dealing with discrimination.

Again, your post says exactly what I mean to explain. You too feel that one form of disrimination  is serious enough for discussion but others are not.

Short people face a lot of discrimination .From being ridiculed to being ineligible for a lot of jobs just because they are a few inches short. They face discrimination at work, and marriage prospects. So how is a short person's  anguish not the same as Mukund or any one feeling the pain of color discrimination ?

By saying Sreevat's issue is not as big as Mukund's is also a form of discrimination .

Sreevats has a double right to question him because he has faced the issue from the person who himself is complaining about discrimination.

Now Mukund will think twice before making fun of a small person because that is also not funny ...not to the small person at least.

23 hours ago, Book_Worm said:

I don't think it is same. Dark skinned people go though lot of abuse. Just because he made this tweet to goswami doesn't negate his experiences and neither does it excuse the racism on social media against his skin color.It is basically asking people not to take him or other dark skinned people seriously when they speak out against racism. Goswani is being petty here. I don't think with this kind  of attitude we will ever see a change  in our country.

Not just dark skinned. Fat people go through same, thin people go through this too, short people go through this too, even abnormally tall people are called names too.  And this preference to fair color is present everywhere, not just India. 

Edited by rkt.india

1 hour ago, Book_Worm said:

how it is racism? It is not like Mukund or darker complexion people in India are of difference race. They are not Africans to call this situation racist. Humans naturally prefer fair color and nothing can change that and it is not just in India. It is how our brain reacts to things and isn't something in our control. 

50 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

how it is racism? It is not like Mukund or darker complexion people in India are of difference race. They are not Africans to call this situation racist. Humans naturally prefer fair color and nothing can change that and it is not just in India. It is how our brain reacts to things and isn't something in our control. 

Okay it is not racism. You can all it by any other name it is a form of discrmination . I understand all what you have written. If it is a preference fine. But when it becomes to point where they are insulted and put down  because of skin color  how is it is not under our control. You choose to insult. It is in your control.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Not just dark skinned. Fat people go through same, thin people go through this too, short people go through this too, even abnormally tall people are called names too.  And this preference to fair color is present everywhere, not just India. 

Since everyone go through it it is alright and okay. We are not supposed to change and become better. We are not supposed to have a debate.

2 hours ago, beetle said:

Why do you think racism based on color is more important to deal with and not body shaming? 

Body shaming and other forms of discrimination are as bad and probably more prevalent in the world.

Just because color discrimination has been given a name , it doesn't mean it is more problematic than other forms of discrimination.

Keeping names aside, Sreevats tweet just adds other forms of discriminations to the debate and the hypocricy of people while dealing with discrimination.

Again, your post says exactly what I mean to explain. You too feel that one form of disrimination  is serious enough for discussion but others are not.

Short people face a lot of discrimination .From being ridiculed to being ineligible for a lot of jobs just because they are a few inches short. They face discrimination at work, and marriage prospects. So how is a short person's  anguish not the same as Mukund or any one feeling the pain of color discrimination ?

By saying Sreevat's issue is not as big as Mukund's is also a form of discrimination .

Sreevats has a double right to question him because he has faced the issue from the person who himself is complaining about discrimination.

Now Mukund will think twice before making fun of a small person because that is also not funny ...not to the small person at least.

I am sorry i did not mean to  come across as being insensitive or indifferent  to short people and their anguish. You have seen my picture I am neither tall or slim. and my own sister is  very short. I did not say or mean one form of discrimination is more serious than the other. I just feel the message has got lost because you and others are attacking Mukund for his insensitivity towards goswami's height. You have rightly called him out for it.  And  above your post is  very correct and right.But in the process you show equal insensitivity for dark skinned people.Please read your  earlier posts.You are asking dark skin people to be comfortable and proud of their skin color but not asking the society to stop being racist. In india the  moment  a dark skin baby is born from the mother to the whole family will be disappointed . Many times fair skin child is favored over their dark skin child.Skin color discrimination has been given a name in western countries because it has become a matter of 2 different races. But in india it is openly accepted that dark skin is bad even by dark skin people. It is that bad! Few months ago a bengali actress was insulted on kapil sharma show for skin colour. Nawaz the actor was recently told by the casting director that he cannot hire a fair skinned actress to act opposite him.

As a south indian woman i feel very sensitive about this issue. My community is insulted, looked down upon by the rest of india for being dark skinned. It's present everywhere on social media, movies.As a woman it hits more because we are called ugly all the time on social media when we are not ugly.  On interent i have seen people(pakistanis and north indians) post pictures of dark skinned normal people and use them as examples of how ugly  we south indians are. It has come to a point where i honestly want south india to seperate and form our country.  Why should we live with people who hate us for being dark skinned.? For me it about my whole community. You won't understand this.  It resonates more with me. It does not mean that i am not sensitive to body shaming. I am just frustrated because the message  got invalidated because of the personality of mukund. We need to talk more about this and bring  about a change whether it is about being dark or being short.

You have made such a flippant remark that dark skin people face issues in india while short people are discriminated all over the world. Visit south america brazil and other countries  there you will know how your skin determines how successful you will be in life. Slaves were bought from africa and today their descendants and the descendants of the native mayan people all of them live as third class citizens. I am sure you are well aware of USA(please google if you are not aware of this search for lynching of blacks slavery  black lives matter) and are knowledge about the arabs and their views about dark skinned people and how they view indians.?

49 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

But chocolatey skin colour is very hot. I doubt the assumption that people find fair skin more attractive...for me(perhaps for most men), a hot woman is hot, irrespective of skin colour. Hotness not just in terms of figure, but also in terms of personality, nature, intelligence etc.

I don't think its just about physical attraction. Many a times the skin tone even determines respectability and acceptance in general. The darker the hue, the less respectable the person.

For instance, many Indian parents wouldn't mind if their child were to get married to a white person. The white person would be kosher. God forbid if an Indian wanted to marry a black person, the reactions would be much more strongly arrayed against the decision.

47 minutes ago, Book_Worm said:

I am sorry i did not mean to  come across as being insensitive or indifferent  to short people and their anguish. You have seen my picture I am neither tall or slim. and my own sister is  very short. I did not say or mean one form of discrimination is more serious than the other. I just feel the message has got lost because you and others are attacking Mukund for his insensitivity towards goswami's height. You have rightly called him out for it.  And  above your post is  very correct and right.But in the process you show equal insensitivity for dark skinned people.Please read your  earlier posts.You are asking dark skin people to be comfortable and proud of their skin color but not asking the society to stop being racist. In india the  moment  a dark skin baby is born from the mother to the whole family will be disappointed . Many times fair skin child is favored over their dark skin child.Skin color discrimination has been given a name in western countries because it has become a matter of 2 different races. But in india it is openly accepted that dark skin is bad even by dark skin people. It is that bad! Few months ago a bengali actress was insulted on kapil sharma show for skin colour. Nawaz the actor was recently told by the casting director that he cannot hire a fair skinned actress to act opposite him.

As a south indian woman i feel very sensitive about this issue. My community is insulted, looked down upon by the rest of india for being dark skinned. It's present everywhere on social media, movies.As a woman it hits more because we are called ugly all the time on social media when we are not ugly.  On interent i have seen people(pakistanis and north indians) post pictures of dark skinned normal people and use them as examples of how ugly  we south indians are. It has come to a point where i honestly want south india to seperate and form our country.  Why should we live with people who hate us for being dark skinned.? For me it about my whole community. You won't understand this.  It resonates more with me. It does not mean that i am not sensitive to body shaming. I am just frustrated because the message  got invalidated because of the personality of mukund. We need to talk more about this and bring  about a change whether it is about being dark or being short.

You have made such a flippant remark that dark skin people face issues in india while short people are discriminated all over the world. Visit south america brazil and other countries  there you will know how your skin determines how successful you will be in life. Slaves were bought from africa and today their descendants and the descendants of the native mayan people all of them live as third class citizens. I am sure you are well aware of USA(please google if you are not aware of this search for lynching of blacks slavery  black lives matter) and are knowledge about the arabs and their views about dark skinned people and how they view indians.?

You are taking things things personally.

Where did I trivilize the issue of color?

Mukund can't seriously talk about the issue when he is himself making excuses for his colour.

A lot of South Indians are as racist about the shade of colour. The less darker one discriminate against more darker ones. So that separate country will also not be that discriminstion free.

You come from a community that may be facing color discrimination, I come from a community which has mostly shorter people .  

While south Indian women  are considered beautiful for their  big eyes...

The govt had to ban the use of chinki word for discribing people from hills and north east  for their small eyes. 

There are all forms of discriminations .

Ask the sikhs  who have been the butt of jokes for ages.

Ask people from north east about what they face all over India including Soith India.

All discrimination is bad because it hurts equally.

9 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I don't think its just about physical attraction. Many a times the skin tone even determines respectability and acceptance in general. The darker the hue, the less respectable the person.

For instance, many Indian parents wouldn't mind if their child were to get married to a white person. The white person would be kosher. God forbid if an Indian wanted to marry a black person, the reactions would be much more strongly arrayed against the decision.

In many cases, it's not even the parents I guess..it's some of the relatives, neighbours etc. who just like doing politics and who don't mean your good.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Humans  naturally prefer fair colour?

The children that are born here are black enough, but the blacker they be the more they are thought of; wherefore from the day of their birth their parents do rub them every week with oil of sesamé, so that they become as black as devils. Moreover, they make their gods black and their devils white, and the images of their saints they do paint black all over.5

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/p/polo/marco/travels/complete.html#book3.16

Marco Polo's  India

Dark skin is highly esteemed among these people. ‘When a child is born they anoint him once a week with oil of sesame, and this makes him grow much darker’ (replaced since by ‘Fair & Lovely’ creams!). No wonder their gods are all black ‘and their devils white as snow.’ A group of their holy men, the Yogis, eat frugally and live longer than most, some as much as 200 years. In one religious order, men even go stark naked and ‘lead a harsh and austere life’—these men believe that all living beings have a soul and take pains to avoid hurting even the tiniest creatures. They take their food over large dried leaves. When asked why they do not cover their private parts, they say, ‘It is because you employ this member in sin and lechery that you cover it and are ashamed of it. But we are no more ashamed of it than of our fingers.’ Among them, only those who conquer sexual desire become monks. ‘So strict are these idolaters and so stubborn in their misbelief,’ opines Marco.

http://www.shunya.net/Text/Blog/MarcoPoloIndia.htm

South Indians can atleast defend themselves due to numbers and also because they come from states which are much well off than the North Indian ones. 

I actually feel bad for North East Indians because they don't have a big city of their own. They have to come to Delhi, Bangalore and then face humiliation of being asked which country they are from!!! I hear racism in Delhi is immense compared RoI? 

On 8/10/2017 at 3:35 AM, kubrickian said:

South Asians' obsession with fair skin and dislike for dark skin is fairly well known. What's even more surprising is there is absolutely no attempt to even change that mindset. Its like everyone's accepted that its a way of life and that's how it will always be. Disgusting stuff.

Don't be surprised it is not just a south asian thing. I was surprised to see this color obsession is prevalent among chinese. We can call it "colorism"

Ethiopians were considered amongst the most beautiful people in the world, but dominant culture dictates what is beautiful.

you start putting tv ads and billboards of darker tone skin, make all media with only darker tone skin people and perceptions will change

even in American rap & r&b videos, the black background dancers tend to be fair and of mixed race, even the movies made for African-Americans has the lead actresses as fair toned or mixed race