Science is ****

zen

The Proto-Indo-European word "skhei" meant to separate or divide, presumably separating yourself from your poo. When Proto-Indo-Europeans dispersed all over including to Italy, where they used skhei to imply to separate or distinguish. If you could separate or distinguish b/w two things, you knew them. Therefore, the Latin word for know became "scire".

From scire, we get "scientia", which meant knowledge. From scientia, we get "science". Which implies that science is, etymologically, **** 

:p:

PS appears as if the word is automatically blocked out :dontknow:

Edited by zen

That means science is shifting fact from BS

It's no wonder certain people are allergic to it and only care about it as a buzzword.( especially when it doesn't confirm their previous beliefs and assumptions).

Edited by Tibarn

On 8/12/2017 at 8:46 PM, Tibarn said:

That means science is shifting fact from BS

It's no wonder certain people are allergic to it and only care about it as a buzzword.( especially when it doesn't confirm their previous beliefs and assumptions).

Did you mean "does" there? Because people do not seem to have issues as long as it does not contradict their pre-existing beliefs and assumptions. But when they do, they seem to do two things:

1) either take a fight saying science is wrong, i.e. evolution is a myth kind of BS   OR

2) my holy book already contains the fact that "big bang" happened. So, Science has not given me any new knowledge. 

The former route is taken when the scientific fact is not too obvious to common folk and the later approach is taken for those things that seems to have a near universal agreement among the masses and hence cannot be negated openly. 

2 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Did you mean "does" there? Because people do not seem to have issues as long as it does not contradict their pre-existing beliefs and assumptions. But when they do, they seem to do two things:

1) either take a fight saying science is wrong, i.e. evolution is a myth kind of BS   OR

2) my holy book already contains the fact that "big bang" happened. So, Science has not given me any new knowledge. 

The former route is taken when the scientific fact is not too obvious to common folk and the later approach is taken for those things that seems to have a near universal agreement among the masses and hence cannot be negated openly. 

Isn't this laying the blame only on overtly religious people?  I've found self-proclaimed "rationalists" and self-professed atheists also hold many beliefs which they claim are "scientific" and "secular" which are neither based in science nor of "secular" origin. They are just as, if not more, likely in my experience to follow your 1) regarding picking fights and saying science is wrong when it contradicts their pre-existing ideas.