Pandya’s red-hot ton tempered by Dhoni’s calmness

SK_IH

“(It was the) first time in my life I have not had the 90s butterflies. I don’t remember previous centuries, but I used to have butterflies in my stomach from what I can remember. I have said when I bat I am in a different zone. I don’t think about my personal scores and achievements. It has helped me. One thing I learned from Mahi bhai is that you always put your team ahead, see the scoreboard and play accordingly. That has helped me throughout.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-vs-sri-lanka-2017/india-vs-sri-lanka-hardik-pandya-credits-ms-dhoni-for-keeping-cool-head/story-LB7unEjZ7FCCGQgHMXiCxM.html

Good to see Pandya has learned something which jaddu has not in last 10 years.It was apparent how he was talking to  kuldeep and other tailenders.He is no brianless hack thats for sure.

47 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Dhoni as a mentor is definitely good for youngsters. No matter how much criticism against him. He is legend in guiding youngsters. There is always sense of calmness in dealing with tense situations for dhoni.

Yes being calm is important , but the more important point is about putting your team ahead of your personal goals . We have come a long way from 90s though , I think MSD has had a massive influence . These days you dont see players care too much about their 100s . Virat is the same in that aspect , when he bats you know all hes thinking about is teams win !

Rohit sharma is the one bad apple we need to get rid off . 

3 hours ago, SK_IH said:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-vs-sri-lanka-2017/india-vs-sri-lanka-hardik-pandya-credits-ms-dhoni-for-keeping-cool-head/story-LB7unEjZ7FCCGQgHMXiCxM.html

Good to see Pandya has learned something which jaddu has not in last 10 years.It was apparent how he was talking to  kuldeep and other tailenders.He is no brianless hack thats for sure.

I think the first 30 odd runs he scored to get the team to a safe zone said more about him than the 70 odd he blasted later . 

8 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I think the first 30 odd runs he scored to get the team to a safe zone said more about him than the 70 odd he blasted later . 

Yup.   My favorite line to read when I woke up and found out that Pandya had done well with the bat was this line in the day's match report:

That partnership came at 3.17 an over, indicative of how hard Sri Lanka's bowlers made both Kuldeep and Pandya work for their runs. During this phase of his innings, Pandya treated the bowling with respect, keeping an eye out for the odd short ball from the fast bowlers, which he put away with pulls, punches and ramps over the keeper.

Otherwise, he simply took the singles on offer against Sri Lanka's defensive fields. The bowlers and Pandya circled each other warily in this period; they knew of his hitting ability, he knew they knew, and for now he would bide his time.

Sure everyone is thrilled to bits over him smacking the hapless Lankans around and getting his maiden 100.  But I loved the fact that he batted with a plan and some sense of responsibility.   He's done that in the ODIs he's played as well - hasn't always succeeded - but its his approach that I value.  He may not have the tightest technique around with that swinging pendulum of a backlift, but the guy approaches his batting the right way.   Got a long way to go to improve on the bowling side - and I don't think he's got the stamina to give you 15-20 overs in a test day, but as a package he's going to be hard to keep out of the test XI.   

On 14/08/2017 at 11:30 AM, gattaca said:

Dhoni as a mentor is definitely good for youngsters. No matter how much criticism against him. He is legend in guiding youngsters. There is always sense of calmness in dealing with tense situations for dhoni.

On 14/08/2017 at 0:32 PM, jusarrived said:

Yes being calm is important , but the more important point is about putting your team ahead of your personal goals . We have come a long way from 90s though , I think MSD has had a massive influence . These days you dont see players care too much about their 100s . Virat is the same in that aspect , when he bats you know all hes thinking about is teams win !

Rohit sharma is the one bad apple we need to get rid off . 

Hahane hasn't learned jack **** from Dhoni...actually he tries but he is really awful. Dhoni himself is not playing according to situation and scoreboard nowadays. 

Rohit is just Rohit. Sajdeh is the reason why he has got those double hundreds and some nice centuries in meaningless bilateral.

1 hour ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Hahane hasn't learned jack **** from Dhoni...actually he tries but he is really awful. Dhoni himself is not playing according to situation and scoreboard nowadays. 

Rohit is just Rohit. Sajdeh is the reason why he has got those double hundreds and some nice centuries in meaningless bilateral.

So did sajdeh bowled to rohit ?