How good is Shami?

gakgupta

Top class bowler no doubt about that. Only his fitness is holding him back. Like [mention=8417]express bowling[/mention] said most skillful Indian pacer. He's got everything - pace, perfect seam position, control, reverse swing, bouncers, yorkers and ability to set up the batsman. Eagerly waiting to see him bowl in SA. 
More importantly, he uses his brain.....very unlike indian

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Shami has improved a lot as a test bowler after he came back in July 2016 from his knee operation.  He had taken a 15 month break and came back a much better test bowler.  He has modified his run-up, taking smaller steps and is more upright while delivering, resulting in more bounce.  He has added a bit more muscle too and hitting the deck harder now. He was always quick but his ability to sustain pace has become better in the last 14 months.

Never have I seen an Indian fast bowler with such a complete range of skills.  just like @Mosher  has written above,

he has ......Ability to set up batsmen, genuine pace, excellent accuracy, great seam position, good bounce, great bouncers, seam movement both ways, swing, reverse swing, late-dipping yorkers, making the batsmen play a lot  .... what a range of skills !

If only he can stay fit  !

He is not the same bowler he was in 2014.... looking at him, we tend to forget that he has  played international cricket for only 4 years, with a 15 month injury break ..... so, effectively,  less than 3 years of international cricket....and is still  learning.

I rate him the best fast bowler in the world while bowling in the sub-continent.   Let's see how he does out of Asia .... but the way he is bowling in the last 14 months in tests, he should do well if fit.  

He is a thinking bowler and that will hold him in good stead.

Edited by express bowling
9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Multiple injuries happen at any age for fast bowlers..... look at Starc, Pattinson, Cummins

May be the reason is modern fitness programmes. Holding says too much gym will not help a fast bowler and might injure them.Even the ones you mentioned are all Australian bowlers too.pattinson bulked up a lot than in 2012 when played with us.

Edited by gattaca
Shami has improved a lot as a test bowler after he came back from his knee operation in July 2016.  He had taken a 15 month break and came back a much better test bowler.  He has modified his run-up, taking smaller steps and is more upright while delivering, resulting in more bounce.  He has added a bit more muscle too and hitting the deck harder now. He was always quick but his ability to sustain pace has become better in the last 14 months.

Never have I seen an Indian fast bowler with such a complete range of skills.  just like [mention=21046]Mosher[/mention]  has written above,

he has ......Ability to set up batsmen, genuine pace, excellent accuracy, great seam position, good bounce, great bouncers, seam movement both ways, swing, reverse swing, late-dipping yorkers, making the batsmen play a lot  .... what a range of skills !

He is not the same bowler he was in 2014.... looking at him, we tend to forget that he has  played international cricket for only 4 years, with a 15 month injury break ..... so effectively less than 3 years of international cricket....and is still  learning.

I rate him the best fast bowler in the world while bowling in the sub-continent.   Let's see how he does out of Asia .... but the way he is bowling in the last 14 months in tests, he should do well if fit.  

Very very good analysis....

After reading you post, something strikes me......most of the indian pace bowlers regresses after good year or two.....but it is completely different for Shami....

In many aspects, he reminds me of Zaheer Khan....

2 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

Very very good analysis....

After reading you post, something strikes me......most of the indian pace bowlers regresses after good year or two.....but it is completely different for Shami....

In many aspects, he reminds me of Zaheer Khan....

He is already better than Zak of first 4-5 years.

Shami is fine as support bowler who can bowl ten overs in full tilt , his real test will be when he is asked 25 overs in a day.When he is bowling 20 -25 overs in day and will he be effective and also pickup 5fers is the question ,till he does he will remain a question mark as a strike bowler.

Edited by putrevus
4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shami has improved a lot as a test bowler after he came back in July 2016 from his knee operation.  He had taken a 15 month break and came back a much better test bowler.  He has modified his run-up, taking smaller steps and is more upright while delivering, resulting in more bounce.  He has added a bit more muscle too and hitting the deck harder now. He was always quick but his ability to sustain pace has become better in the last 14 months.

Never have I seen an Indian fast bowler with such a complete range of skills.  just like @Mosher  has written above,

He is not the same bowler he was in 2014.... looking at him, we tend to forget that he has  played international cricket for only 4 years, with a 15 month injury break ..... so effectively less than 3 years of international cricket....and is still  learning.

actually in the earlier two tests he was looking fair but not very good and fast ..in this TEST he has looked 140 to 147k most of the time which has been too fast too hot to handle. 

in earlier 2 test he had not out bowled Umesh yadav but in this Test match SHAMMI has outbowled every one and has looked DANGEROUS, DEADLY, running and bowling LIKE A deadly COBRA throwing venom, or a soldier throwing hand grinades at Batsman..Batsman have not looked at scoring against him and he has RULED the srilankan batsman taking so many wickets and creating wicket taking opportunities almost at WILL.

1 minute ago, vishalvirsingh said:

actually in the earlier two tests he was looking fair but not very good and fast ..in this TEST he has looked 140 to 147k most of the time which has been too fast too hot to handle. 

in earlier 2 test he had not out bowled Umesh yadav but in this Test match SHAMMI has outbowled every one and has looked DANGEROUS, DEADLY, running and bowling LIKE A deadly COBRA throwing venom, or a soldier throwing hand grinades at Batsman..Batsman have not looked at scoring against him and he has RULED the srilankan batsman taking so many wickets and creating wicket taking opportunities almost at WILL.

Shami is playing a test series after 9 months.  It takes a bit of time to reach one's best.

But he was bowling 135 k to 145 k in the first 2 tests too, which he has upped to 137 k to 147 k in this test.

39 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Shami is fine as support bowler who can bowl ten overs in full tilt , his real test will be when he is asked 25 overs in a day.When he is bowling 20 -25 overs in day and will he be effective and also pickup 5fers is the question ,till he does he will remain a question mark as a strike bowler.

a genuine fast bowler does not need to ball more than 16 to 18 overs at good pace as he gets his bag full of wicket in his 16 to 18 overs.. i am happy to get 15 overs from shammi if he can fetch his 3 to 4 wickets in his 16 overs itself.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Only Kapil was better than Shami at this point of career.

r u Kidding...as a pacer kapil was good only till his legs were good , after his legs got treatment , he had turned into a under 130 K trundler and keeping his place just bcos he batted well as an allrounder.

i was a big kapil fan but i am true to share that he extended his bowling career by at least 2 to 3 years because he was an all rounder. i remember seeing him getting his last wicket after bowling at least 20+ overs ..he had turned into a wicket less bowler in his last 10 tests..he was hardly taking any wickets.

Actually he did not let any fast bowler grow..he only supported one pace bowler and that was chetan sharma.

raju kulkarni ,sanjeev sharma and few other pace bowlers emerged only to get lost during Kapil's times as I think Kapil never supported them ,actually javagal srinath who was atleast 20 K faster than kapil got his break through quite late ...kapil did well as an all rounder for india but he was a selfish pace bowler and since he had become a BIG PLAYER , he had impact in selections too.

except for winning a world cup..he never did well as a CAPtain..even as a coach kapil's performance was bad.

as all rounder he was good as he ended up batting well or bowling well and always pull on his weight. 

in his last 3 years he was under 130K and kinda an average Pacer who had a big name.

i was his big fan in his first half of his career and he always disappointed me in his last years.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

90 overs and 5 bowlers

That means 18 overs per head may work

The workhorse-pacer like Ishant or Bhuvi will bowl 20 +.  The spinner may do that too.

Shami may end up bowling 15 or 16 , something he is used to doing.

Which is why playing 5 bowlers will be so important to keep our strike pacers fresh.

Edited by express bowling