A guy who can get 50 and 100 in his first 3 games batting at No. 8 has to have something special

16 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Jayant Yadav did the same batting at No.9

He looked a good batsman to me with a proper technique, went to the line of the ball, did not play away from his body and played with a straight bat.... he looked a better batsman than a bowler to me

yea but if he has to get in the side he ll have to get back with his bowling specially when ashwin, jadeja n kuldeep are already there and he wont be playing overseas as an all rounder. 

He shud be a regular on A-tours and his bowling will improve with time , there wud be a time when ashwin will be injured and that wud be his time 

18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

He looked a good batsman to me with a proper technique, went to the line of the ball, did not play away from his body and played with a straight bat.... he looked a better batsman than a bowler to me

Bowling was not that impressive though. Perhaps in SC, he could be a good support bowler but will not be effective anywhere else. I think Kuldeep should get the nod over him in the side for 3rd spinner. There is enough batting(and all rounder options) available in the side that you dont need to include a bowler who can bat at 8. Better to go with a wicket taking option.

I dont think Pandya should bat higher than 5. He should be allowed to play his natural game wherever he bats irrespective of a few failures because that's when he is at his best. Batting too high up the order may not allow such an approach. It could also depend on the match situation and he could be promoted in some games if higher RR is required.  

40 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Don't know his fitness and availability, but he should have played on this SA A tour.  Ind batting could have used him.   

5 hours ago, kubrickian said:

Bowling was not that impressive though. Perhaps in SC, he could be a good support bowler but will not be effective anywhere else. I think Kuldeep should get the nod over him in the side for 3rd spinner. There is enough batting(and all rounder options) available in the side that you dont need to include a bowler who can bat at 8. Better to go with a wicket taking option.

Which is why I said,  " he looked like a better batsman than bowler to me ".

With the emergence of Kuldeep, the door is closed on him for the time being.

10 hours ago, express bowling said:

Was thinking the same, add wickets he took plus his performance was against England. Let's be realistic none want Jayant over hardik but as a captain kohli has to be fair and he does come across as bias. 

Jayant is technically more sound. He has even tighter technique than Ashwin. But Pandya's type of game is more like Kapil dev's approach. (Not comparing him with Kapil. Just the attitude) . Kapil despite team being in precarious positions always went on the offensive. Infact he paid the ultimate price of losing his test spot once for that approach. Pandya can be such a guy. Jayant's bowling is run of the mill stuff. That is why it is harder for him to come back. Pandya is much closer to a full time bowler.

He is picked as a all rounder and he has yet to provide me any evidence that he can actually bowl well.We all know he is cannon fodder in ODIs and by the looks of things he is strictly picked as a batsman who can bowl a couple of overs to spell the front line bowlers.I have zero confidence he can bowl 10-15 overs in SA and actually not concede 60-0.