Rahul at 4 but Hitman will open?

SK_IH

Dot dot dot dot 444 dot dot 4 and go missing when the pressure is on.

looks like hitman  is locked in as opener for world cup 2019 and its not great news.this guy brings nothing special in the opening slot and he is one player you never miss when he is injured or not playing but he is certainty in openers slot,why?

Like it or not, this is how the Indian team operates.  New batsmen have to start lower in the order and 'earn' their way to their preferred batting slots by dint of consistent performances and "seniority".   Even the likes of Tendy, Sehwag and Kohli started lower in the order.  Rare exception is when the team has a vacancy in the top 3 slots and a newbie can luckily slot right in.   If you want to be a cricket star in India - you need to one of the glory hound batting positions i.e. 1, 2 or 3.  That's where you get maximum opportunities to score big runs.   Do that often enough and you too can have your own clothing line, and sell everything from baniayaans  to Butter.  

21 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Like it or not, this is how the Indian team operates.  New batsmen have to start lower in the order and 'earn' their way to their preferred batting slots by dint of consistent performances and "seniority".   Even the likes of Tendy, Sehwag and Kohli started lower in the order.  Rare exception is when the team has a vacancy in the top 3 slots and a newbie can luckily slot right in.   If you want to be a cricket star in India - you need to one of the glory hound batting positions i.e. 1, 2 or 3.  That's where you get maximum opportunities to score big runs.   Do that often enough and you too can have your own clothing line, and sell everything from baniayaans  to Butter.  

my problem is why give everything to him on platter according to his convenience.if he cant or finds it hard to play in the middle order,then get lost simple.times have changed ,we dont need his selfish cricket opening the batting.And also if he was someone like a yuvi in his prime who would win tournaments when on form he should be a certainty but the thing with this guy is he will never perform when it is tough.Its always a pleasant surprise when you see this guy score in consecutive games

5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

my problem is why give everything to him on platter according to his convenience.if he cant or finds it hard to play in the middle order,then get lost simple.times have changed ,we dont need his selfish cricket opening the batting.And also if he was someone like a yuvi in his prime who would win tournaments when on form he should be a certainty but the thing with this guy is he will never perform when it is tough.Its always a pleasant surprise when you see this guy score in consecutive games

You're gonna get @maniac running after you with his lungi all tied above the knees at this rate. :p:

Rohit's inconsistency and his poor strike rotation drives me nuts, but he's still a decent opener.   He's no spring chicken anymore anyway, and with the young guns coming through, his "inheritance" and ownership of the ODI opening slot is not lasting forever.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

You're gonna get @maniac running after you with his lungi all tied above the knees at this rate. :p:

Rohit's inconsistency and his poor strike rotation drives me nuts, but he's still a decent opener.   He's no spring chicken anymore anyway, and with the young guns coming through, his "inheritance" and ownership of the ODI opening slot is not lasting forever.  

i agree but thats my point is he the best in india to do that.he is just a decent batsman who is never missed when he is absent from the team.those 200s will prove too costly for india.

if i were a journalist,i ll ask this joker why he wants to open for india but doesnt open for mi 

9 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

i agree but thats my point is he the best in india to do that.he is just a decent batsman who is never missed when he is absent from the team.those 200s will prove too costly for india.

if i were a journalist,i ll ask this joker why he wants to open for india but doesnt open for mi 

Different formats SK.   And you are writing off tailunt a bit too much.  Bit too harsh on him to be fair.  He may not deliver in all the games, but he does end up setting up games when he clicks.

Edited by sandeep
2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Different formats SK.   And you are writing off tailunt a bit too much.  Bit too harsh on him to be fair.  He may not deliver in all the games, but he does end up setting up games when he clicks.

but he opens for ind in t20 also.

Look I am not writing him off but his selfish defensive batting really kills the momentum at the start of innings.It gets on my nerve that its been 10 years since his debut but still all his faults persists and he has not gone onto next level.Also he finds it hard when the pitch is not a complete patta like he enjoyed in aus 2016

28 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

but he opens for ind in t20 also.

Look I am not writing him off but his selfish defensive batting really kills the momentum at the start of innings.It gets on my nerve that its been 10 years since his debut but still all his faults persists and he has not gone onto next level.Also he finds it hard when the pitch is not a complete patta like he enjoyed in aus 2016

Well MI has Parthiv as the long-time keeper, and Patel can't bat anywhere else in the order really.   In T20, middle order and finishing is the harder job anyway, so I don't fault Rohit for "not opening" for MI.   If anything, he's taking on a challenge.   

But yes, he does have his issues as an ODI opener, that is indisputable.  But he also does have his strengths - those are undeniable as well.

49 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Rahul should be opening with Dhawan as Rohit back up opener.

Kohli, Iyer, Manish and Jhadav should be in middle order. Raina as back up middle order batsman

Pant should be keeper

What has raina done to earn back his place, has his bouncer weakness faded away or we shud go with 10 players against sides like SA , Aus 

Rohit hasnt done anything to be dropped, he has to improve but doesnt mean u drop someone easy

The way we give certain positions to someone new like Iyer, manish, pant ......well let them seal their spot 1st and they wnt come n start scoring consistently so a balance btw exp n new player has to be always striked