Players mature quickly under new team culture - Kohli

Tibarn

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20339894/players-mature-quickly-new-team-culture-virat-kohli

This Indian team has rid itself of a culture in which newcomers were picked upon and judged, according to Virat Kohli. Though he didn't specify whether that culture was something that existed in teams before his captaincy, or the one that Anil Kumble coached (and of which Kohli was captain), the assessment has the potential to be interpreted as a dig at a previous tenure.

Though the whitewash of Sri Lanka could be seen as a continuation of a sterling run of Test successes, with Ravi Shastri having replaced Kumble as coach, a line has been drawn under that tenure and this. Kumble left ultimately because of what he cited as an "untenable" relationship with Kohli, and after some players had complained of his "intimidating" style of man-management.

And whether or not Kohli was referring to those issues, he was clear that a new culture was emerging. "Culture can only be built when everyone buys into it," Kohli said. "And the way that can happen is when you don't have any judgements, people coming in and if you don't look at them with a critical eye, watching everything they are doing and trying to pick on small things. I think that is something that we have gotten rid of totally.

"In this team, we are more like a bunch of friends playing together rather than a senior or a junior. We don't even think of the number of games an X has played or a Y has played within the change room. It is all about who you see every day. You can joke around with anyone inside the group, and that I feel is something that makes me feel proud of this particular unit. The way we have embraced each other and accepted each other with our different personalities and individuality, and that is the reason why people coming in feel like they don't have to do anything different from what they know already. It gives them an opportunity to go out there and believe in themselves and you never know. If you keep the environment like that, then people will take lesser time to go out there and become mature cricketers because they don't feel any pressure from the group itself. That I feel is something we all are proud of because we have been able to create that together."

That's a pretty damning statement by Kohli. Who do you guys think he is condemning: Kumble's tenure as coach or Duncan Fletcher-Dhoni's tenure? 

I'm thinking he is talking about Kumble as coach. 

Unfortunate to see such comments even when we are winning. False aggression, if not opposition go against your own men. They would have blamed Kumble left,right, center if we had lost. Blowing their own trumpet ever since Shastri has come in. Too shallow if they continue to take digs at every chance they get. 

or maybe Kohli wasn't referring to Kumble at all and Cricinfo is digging a conspiracy where there is none. 

it was Sachin - Saurav - Rahul - Anil these four players who changed the vicious bullying and hierarchical set up in the dressing room. during the days of Kapil and Azhar the juniors would get regularly bullied. There are stories of Manoj Prabhakar, Sidhu and other players of that era even slapping junior players who had a bad day. Srinath hasn't found his voice until Kapil left. 

Anil Kumble might have been a uncompromising martinet, but lets not accuse him of being part of a "bad dressing room culture"

I can't believe that Kumble was bad at man management. He did a fine job as captain and no one had any negative feedback against him. Ishant's famous spell to Ponting was during Kumble's time as captain. He praised his captain iirc. When Kumble retired, Dhoni carried him on his shoulders doing a lap in the stadium. That is a spontaneous gesture which is done only when someone has respect and admiration for another person.   Even in IPL Kumble led the disastrous RCB to the final in season 2 with youngster Manish Pandey doing great.  He too had only good things to  say about his captain as far as I can remember.        .                                            Kohli should focus on being positive and really encourage youngsters instead of merely making statements. His reluctance to pick Pant and Kuldeep, his ill treatment of Pujara, support of project Raina in tests at the behest of cheerleader Shastri are all too well known. Even amidst all these home series wins, he went awol during the biggest series of all against the Aussies. Let him do well and guide the team to at-least a respectable draw in a tough overseas series and then gloat about that success. Right now is premature.