Delhi accident victim cried for help for 12 hrs, man offered water but stole bag

Stuge

Of the countless pedestrians, who walked past an injured Narender Kumar near Kashmere Gate interstate bus terminus in north Delhi for over 12 hours, many had stopped to look at him before walking away.

But the apathy shown by people towards an accident victim is not the only shocking part here. The city revealed an uglier side when a couple of passersby made away with his phone, a bag of cash and Rs 12 that had fallen out of his pocket instead of rushing him to a hospital or informing the police.

“I had injured my spine after being hit by a speeding car. So, I could not move from my position. But I had not bled and was conscious the entire time,” Kumar told HT over phone from Safdarjung Hospital on Friday.

“People stopped to look at me. I pleaded with them for help, but they didn’t care. Since I was not bleeding, many thought I must have been drunk,” he said.

Kumar, who works as a driver in Jaipur, Rajasthan, was hit by a speeding car while crossing a road near Kashmere Gate on August 15. The car has remained unidentified. Kumar is admitted to the hospital where the police took him after receiving a call from a passerby around 5 am on Wednesday, almost 12 hours after the accident.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi-news/delhi-accident-victim-cried-for-help-for-12-hrs-man-offered-water-but-stole-bag/story-Ew49M1K6MPJpdFl3uM8ZrN.html