Indian cricket has come along way..stats

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=11;filter=advanced;orderby=won;spanmin1=01+Jan+2008;spanval1=span;template=results;type=team

Last 10 years...we have the most wins in ALL cricket ( Tests/ODIs/T20s) ...and the best W/L ratio.

For those of us who grew up watching cricket in the 90's - where India was a mid table team - this is a huge leap.

I think we will continue to have a prolonged period of much more domination...we have just gotten started.

The consistency is definitely there to be seen. Back in 90s, we were good at home in tests but not that good in ODIs both at home and foreign conditions. Now India is a much more all round consistent side in LOIs but still need to win consistently overseas in tests to become a genuinely great team. Indian cricket needs to groom a pool of fast bowlers to achieve that. Its an area in which we have seen consistent improvement for the last 10 years, so I believe India could become a really good test side overseas as well.

11 minutes ago, goose said:

Rubbish. India haven't done anything in Eng or Aus for some time. If they fail against these two and RSA in 2018 we'll be a laughing stock. Do well and the needle flips completely since current efforts will be seen as part of a bigger march to something special.

He is comparing this against the Indian team in the 90s. We were a very average team then and did absolutely nothing away from home. At home also, except for the two whitewashes in 93, we were not so ruthlessly dominant either as we are today.

In the 90's, we were rightly called ' Lions at home and sheeps abroad'. Which holds true even today to some extent, although not as bad.

We were so pathetic in 90's that I can compare those teams to the present Sri Lankan team, even though we had great players like Azhar, Sachin and the likes. They just didnt know how to win.

This is something I have noticed recently, that Pakistan, even after having formidable bowling with the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaq and Saqlain, they didn't do much abroad. But still would give a better fight than India, and hence we were so much in awe of them.

9 hours ago, goose said:

Rubbish. India haven't done anything in Eng or Aus for some time. If they fail against these two and RSA in 2018 we'll be a laughing stock. Do well and the needle flips completely since current efforts will be seen as part of a bigger march to something special.

CB series 2007,2007WT20,CT2013,AUS 3-0 WhiteWash,CT2017 Finals and more.....

Aparently all these were held in ENG/SA/AUS

All for the record AUS/ENG/SA haven't done anything in Asia in the last 10 years...at all.

we will further see the infrastructure gains of come through in next decade.

With regards to test cricket. IMO the BCCI in the 80s and 90s had a financial inclination to ensure that 5 whole days were played out.

Now that compulsion is not there we are just winning nearly all matches at home.

it also must be said, its also a case of weakening of opposition as well. Windies and SL I feel are borderline minnows now. in tests. The Zimbabwe of 80s and 90s were probably stronger than these two outfits in test cricket

Untill the likes of BD who have the potential replace these two fallen outfits as credible opposition I feel W/L will rise for most of the top teams like India SA England and Aus.

Test cricket especially is thinning out. Even Pakistan lets wait and see what life post Misbah and Younis holds for them. India have managed to replace Sachin Laxman Kumble and Dravid and improve their W/L ratio.

3 minutes ago, goose said:

India getting stronger at home + India getting stronger in ODI everywhere + India poor away = India in decline overall.

india have improve their away test performance. Losses in tests in England aus and SA have been nullified by wins in bd sl and windies.

6 minutes ago, goose said:

India getting stronger at home + India getting stronger in ODI everywhere + India poor away = India in decline overall.

If you keep aside England tour, we have not been poor in any series away. Even in England, we won the first test. In SA, we were so close to win the first test. In NZ, we were in position to win both tests. In Aus, we gave stiff fight to Aus and drew two tests. So, we were not exactly poor. We did win much does not mean we were poor. In 90s, we never even compete overseas.

4 hours ago, goose said:

The overall graph might be pointing upward but that is not my point. The difference between home performance and away performance, that gap...that's not really changed. 

Well, we did win a test in England last time around - came very close to winning one in SA as well.  If VK doesn't go for that arrogant lofted pull shot off of Lyon, or if Saha doesn't get stumped and manages to score another 30-odd, we would have had a win in Adelaide as well.   Compared to the 1990s, when we used to get totally steamrolled, these are signs of improvement.  But overall, I agree with you.  We have yet to win away from home.  In fact, we need to win consistently away from home, to really claim 'domination'.   

We shouldn't be content. Our one sport focus, huge talent pool, massive fan interest, big $$$ should combine to make us unbeatable in cricket. Our present record isn't that impressive tbh if you take the factors into account. i want us to be invincible, like the Americans in basketball, Soviets in chess, Jamaicans in sprint etc. Anything less than that is unpardonable especially if you take into account the decline of many erstwhile cricketing powers and the shift in focus from cricket to other sports in countries like Aus, Eng, SA.

Edited by Gollum
On 21/08/2017 at 11:36 AM, Rightarmfast said:

In the 90's, we were rightly called ' Lions at home and sheeps abroad'. Which holds true even today to some extent, although not as bad.

We were so pathetic in 90's that I can compare those teams to the present Sri Lankan team, even though we had great players like Azhar, Sachin and the likes. They just didnt know how to win.

This is something I have noticed recently, that Pakistan, even after having formidable bowling with the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaq and Saqlain, they didn't do much abroad. But still would give a better fight than India, and hence we were so much in awe of them.

Pakistan have a miles better win loss ratio . What do you mean by didnt do much ?? . They were brillianf away from home in the 90s because of the said bowlers.

India with  win loss of 27 percent have a lot of catching up to do.

Yes present day India has come a long way and will gradually improve the  horrible winloss ratio in test matches but the test is yet to come. By December India would have played its last 31 tests either at home or against the likes of bang , sri and wi  . Tougher tours will define india . They need to at least start competing in places like England for a start.

Edited by the don