Lack of preparation for a new guy like Dananjaya

I am puzzled by the top order's lack of preparation to face a gimmick-bowler like Dananjaya.  After MSD and BK watched him for a while, they were able to read him from the hand and picked him apart, something that the front-liners failed to do.  First of all, this was the guy's 4th ODI, not his debut.  So, there must have been film available of his bowling somewhere.  All it would have taken, IMO, is 30 min of film study to pick his variations.  We have video experts on the team to put together a few clips and share it with all the batsmen and for Bangar to follow up and make sure everyone watched it, no?  It did not cost us the match and I shouldn't fret over it so much, but in this day and age of technology there is no excuse for 6 guys to go in totally oblivious to what he was doing, when 2 others, including a non-frontliner figured him out within 4 - 5 overs.  

Is it complacency or plain lack of planning by the coaching staff?

1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

I am puzzled by the top order's lack of preparation to face a gimmick-bowler like Dananjaya.  After MSD and BK watched him for a while, they were able to read him from the hand and picked him apart, something that the front-liners failed to do.  First of all, this was the guy's 4th ODI, not his debut.  So, there must have been film available of his bowling somewhere.  All it would have taken, IMO, is 30 min of film study to pick his variations.  We have video experts on the team to put together a few clips and share it with all the batsmen and for Bangar to follow up and make sure everyone watched it, no?  It did not cost us the match and I shouldn't fret over it so much, but in this day and age of technology there is no excuse for 6 guys to go in totally oblivious to what he was doing, when 2 others, including a non-frontliner figured him out within 4 - 5 overs.  

Is it complacency or plain lack of planning by the coaching staff?

this is what it is, particularly cheerleader uncle, who is more busy being bombastic. video analysis and bowler dynamics vis-a-vis batsman's prep is purely tactical this happens with coaching staff's inputs. But i think the current lot of coaching lot are not proactive, very reactive and bombastic, scratch eachothers back kind of people, all will be well when things go well.

16 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Well the team did not know till toss time that he would be played in the XI, so not really surprised they were unprepared.

Ha! That's a good perspective.  I hadn't thought of it, and it tempers my frustration.

But wouldn't you expect a professional outfit to prepare for all bowlers in the XIV, just in case?  It just doesn't seem like a huge time commitment on their part ... especially considering BK figured him out in a few overs.    

Edited by Brainfade
47 minutes ago, Brainfade said:

Ha! That's a good perspective.  I hadn't thought of it, and it tempers my frustration.

But wouldn't you expect a professional outfit to prepare for all bowlers in the XIV, just in case?  It just doesn't seem like a huge time commitment on their part ... especially considering BK figured him out in a few overs.    

Agreed they were a bit complacent given none of their bowlers in the test series or Odis caused any problems. So I suppose the team took it a little easy.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Defending with bat and pad not together.... now that is supposed to be a basic even at club level  !

We had underestimated the opponent a bit too much.  !

The wickets fell so quickly that the entire middle order didn't really get a chance to switch from "We are cruising this one" into "let's be a little watchful of this new guy a bit".   

Just to be clear, I'm being sarcastic - not making excuses for that foolishness on show yesterday.