Test Match #1852 - the test nobody talks about

goose

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14167/scorecard/297808/India-vs-Pakistan-3rd-Test

1. Ganguly scored 239 - not the first name on a list of double centurions that come to mind

2. Ganguly again! 91 batting second

3. Yuvraj never made it in tests but scores 169 here

4. Where is Tendulkar - injured, rested, dropped?

5. Pathan gets a 100

6. Ishant gets a 5fer - like when does that happen!

7. Kamran took 5 catches - see above

8. The last time India met Pakistan in test cricket - yes almost 10 years ago!

9. Jaffer opening with Gambler - again just no recollection of these two together at the crease.

10. over to you....

What exactly is there to talk about - Looks like a test that India should have won, but couldn't primarily because the bowling  took 168 overs to take 10 wickets in the 1st innings.   Sharma's 5-fer consists of the bottom half of the Pakistani XI, so again, nothing really of note.   Misbah tuk-tuked away to glory, saving the game for Pakistan.   Nothing else to note of, is there?

3 hours ago, goose said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14167/scorecard/297808/India-vs-Pakistan-3rd-Test

6. Ishant gets a 5fer - like when does that happen!

This has happened only once in India and it happened in the first innings in which Ishant bowled in India. In 54 innings in which he has bowled in India since that innings, it has never happened again. Even the figures in that Test 5/118 & 0/22 are above average at best. But he still finds himself in the Test squad all the time and continues to get games. Just goes to tell you how much mediocrity we accept in the name of a Tall Phasshtt Bowler.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

IIRC Kumble was bowling some deadly medium pace at the end of the game. Although some would say he pretty much did that for his entire career!

haha came here post same thing,those medium pacers bowled kamran and hameed 

aslo yousuf was plumb first ball,rudi didnt give that out ,pak would have folded for sure ,even yuvi was deadly with his arm ball :laugh:

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

watched that match live. Yasir Arafat ran through the top order on a greenish pitch then Ganguly and Yuvraj after a few scares held a huge partnership. It was Ishant's 2nd test if I remember correctly. 

was it greenish, i just remember  ball barely bouncing especially from arafat 

Only thing that mattered was, we could have declared earlier and go for the win. Rest all is pretty typical about test matches in India. Patta wicket with both sides scoring loads of runs and then pitch turning big time towards the end. 600+ and 500+ runs in 1st innings from both sides playing for 4 days almost says boring game written all over.

There  was  a green  patch  of  grass  on  the  pitch  afaik  and  it  was lively  for  fast  bowlers for  about  half  of  the  1st day. Had  dada  and  yuvi  not  scored  those  fast  runs,india would  have  most  likely be bundled out inside 250 ,we were 60/4 I believe.

The pitch settled down and it became  a batting  beauty for 3 days then there was  variable bounce on offer since day 4

11 hours ago, sandeep said:

What exactly is there to talk about - Looks like a test that India should have won, but couldn't primarily because the bowling  took 168 overs to take 10 wickets in the 1st innings.   Sharma's 5-fer consists of the bottom half of the Pakistani XI, so again, nothing really of note.   Misbah tuk-tuked away to glory, saving the game for Pakistan.   Nothing else to note of, is there?

You misunderstand me, so many facets of this india scorecard go against the grain of traditional india fan psyche, well at least mine. Ganguly, playing under captain Kumble scoring a double ton. Pathan scoring a 100. Ishant getting a 5fer. Sure these things happened but i thought it a particularly unusual group of cricketing oddities.