Dhoni has the highest ODI batting average of any batsmen who played 300 or more games !!!

velu

How can the finisher end up with lower strike rate than guy who is setting up at no3.

Dhoni's meows will be clamouring about his not outs and his avgs. He was given perfect platform to launch but he is done and it is fruitless and foolish to expect him to have same ability this late in his career.

Either Dhoni needs to be no 4 or he needs to be kicked out of the team if they think he is not good enough there.They don't think he is good enough at no4 as he is completely struggling to rotate strike.

What this Indian team needs is Dhoni and Yuvraj of 2006.BTW not sold on anyone else who played today.

13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How can the finisher end up with lower strike rate than guy who is setting up at no3.

Dhoni's meows will be clamouring about his not outs and his avgs. He was given perfect platform to launch but he is done and it is fruitless and foolish to expect him to have same ability this late in his career.

Either Dhoni needs to be no 4 or he needs to be kicked out of the team if they think he is not good enough there.They don't think he is good enough at no4 as he is completely struggling to rotate strike.

What this Indian team needs is Dhoni and Yuvraj of 2006.BTW not sold on anyone else who played today.

Pandey's consistency arguably make him a better candidate for the #4 ODI spot than Dhoni.  If Jadhav continues his high SR, high consistency rate, or we slot in a Krunal Pandya type big hitter at #7 behind Gujju Lukdya, we may be able to afford carrying Pandey and Dhoni in the lineup.  

Today's Dhoni is not Dhoni of 2006, who would really be a perfect fit at #5 or 6 for us right now, but not sure why Indian cricket fans keep harping over something that's not going to happen and petulantly hate on Dhoni simply because he doesn't fit the round peg they want him to fit in.  Fact is that even this aging diminished Dhoni offers decent value as a #4 bat - with his experience and reliability, he is a quality #4 batsman, and since he keeps wickets, he frees up another slot in the XI.  Before I get a tirade of nonsense insults thrown at me, I said decent value, not exceptional value, decent.  Just because we don't have other slugging options available to us apart from Hardik Pandya, doesn't mean that Dhoni's useless and has to go unless he magically reverts to his younger self.  

TLDR:  Stop hating on India's best ODI captain ever, stop wishing for him to re-spawn into his younger self - evaluate him dispassionately for what he is.  Else you are just a sad victim of your own expectations.  

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Pandey's consistency arguably make him a better candidate for the #4 ODI spot than Dhoni.  If Jadhav continues his high SR, high consistency rate, or we slot in a Krunal Pandya type big hitter at #7 behind Gujju Lukdya, we may be able to afford carrying Pandey and Dhoni in the lineup.  

Today's Dhoni is not Dhoni of 2006, who would really be a perfect fit at #5 or 6 for us right now, but not sure why Indian cricket fans keep harping over something that's not going to happen and petulantly hate on Dhoni simply because he doesn't fit the round peg they want him to fit in.  Fact is that even this aging diminished Dhoni offers decent value as a #4 bat - with his experience and reliability, he is a quality #4 batsman, and since he keeps wickets, he frees up another slot in the XI.  Before I get a tirade of nonsense insults thrown at me, I said decent value, not exceptional value, decent.  Just because we don't have other slugging options available to us apart from Hardik Pandya, doesn't mean that Dhoni's useless and has to go unless he magically reverts to his younger self.  

TLDR:  Stop hating on India's best ODI captain ever, stop wishing for him to re-spawn into his younger self - evaluate him dispassionately for what he is.  Else you are just a sad victim of your own expectations.  

No one is hating Dhoni, why can't people understand. It is all about Indian team and Indian team's success.Nobody is expecting Dhoni to be Dhoni of 2006 except selectors.

These kind of series should be all about finding the future. I always said before CT Dhoni should be no4 and CT is done and dusted, it is time to move one and find ideal combination for 2019.I don't see how India is going to do anything good if Dhoni is still no5 or 6.

Just now, putrevus said:

No one is hating Dhoni, why can't people understand. It is all about Indian team and Indian team's success.Nobody is expecting Dhoni to be Dhoni of 2006 except selectors.

These kind of series should be all about finding the future. I always said before CT Dhoni should be no4 and CT is done and dusted, it is time to move one and find ideal combination for 2019.I don't see how India is going to do anything good if Dhoni is still no5 or 6.

When there are threads like "When will the Dhoni torture end" on the heels of an ODI innings where Dhoni stopped a collapse and took the innings to 375 while highly touted "can't miss" prospects like KLR laid stinky eggs, then it falls under the classification of Hate.  No ambiguities about it. 

I have absolutely no issues with those who are dissatisfied with Dhoni's current levels of batting performance.  I'm one of them.  But I have zero tolerance for the moroniacs who think that MSD no longer offers any value to the team and attribute all sorts of malicious intent to a player simply trying to do the best he can, as long as he can.  

13 minutes ago, sandeep said:

When there are threads like "When will the Dhoni torture end" on the heels of an ODI innings where Dhoni stopped a collapse and took the innings to 375 while highly touted "can't miss" prospects like KLR laid stinky eggs, then it falls under the classification of Hate.  No ambiguities about it. 

I have absolutely no issues with those who are dissatisfied with Dhoni's current levels of batting performance.  I'm one of them.  But I have zero tolerance for the moroniacs who think that MSD no longer offers any value to the team and attribute all sorts of malicious intent to a player simply trying to do the best he can, as long as he can.  

I am not at all dissatisfied about Dhoni's performance , team should be never about one player no matter how great he is or was in case of Dhoni.

Selections should be all about future , you cannot expect some youngster to perform in world cup unless he is given 20-30 matches to get used to system and team.How will you find out about future if you keep trotting Dhoni at no5 or no 6.What will you do if Dhoni is suddenly out of form and decides to retire.

Just now, putrevus said:

I am not at all dissatisfied about Dhoni's performance , team should be never about one player no matter how great he is or was in case of Dhoni.

Selections should be all about future , you cannot expect some youngster to perform in world cup unless he is given 20-30 matches to get used to system and team.How will you find out about future if you keep trotting Dhoni at no5 or no 6.What will you do if Dhoni is suddenly out of form and decides to retire.

I don't disagree with you about planning for the future.  That's why I think Pandey should be a lock at #4, KLR should be in the ODI mix at all times as reserve opener or middle-order bat, and we need to start auditioning another big-hitting allrounder for the #7 spot, with Hardik Pandya at #6.   

But you can't just dump either Dhoni or Kedar Jadhav just like that - both are currently doing well enough to add decent value to the XI.  You have to have a fair and equitable process in place.  Too much ruthlessness may result in players acting selfishly out of self-preservation.  

In Dhoni's case, replacing a wicket-keeper doesn't happen overnight.  I think its high time that the likes of Rishabh Pant / Sanju Samson are brought into our LOI setup and given multiple opportunities either as keeper-batsmen, or as pure bats.   Dhoni's countdown has begun.  I'm not denying that.  But I'm saying that he still is serviceable enough, and our replacements un-ready enough to allow for him to audition as a wicket-keeper + non-power hitting #5 bat.   

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

I don't disagree with you about planning for the future.  That's why I think Pandey should be a lock at #4, KLR should be in the ODI mix at all times as reserve opener or middle-order bat, and we need to start auditioning another big-hitting allrounder for the #7 spot, with Hardik Pandya at #6.   

But you can't just dump either Dhoni or Kedar Jadhav just like that - both are currently doing well enough to add decent value to the XI.  You have to have a fair and equitable process in place.  Too much ruthlessness may result in players acting selfishly out of self-preservation.  

In Dhoni's case, replacing a wicket-keeper doesn't happen overnight.  I think its high time that the likes of Rishabh Pant / Sanju Samson are brought into our LOI setup and given multiple opportunities either as keeper-batsmen, or as pure bats.   Dhoni's countdown has begun.  I'm not denying that.  But I'm saying that he still is serviceable enough, and our replacements un-ready enough to allow for him to audition as a wicket-keeper + non-power hitting #5 bat.   

You will never find another Dhoni.But you need to find another keeper , so if they don't want to discard him then they have to let youngster play at least couple of matches every series just as they are playing Shardul in this ODI.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

You will never find another Dhoni.But you need to find another keeper , so if they don't want to discard him then they have to let youngster play at least couple of matches every series just as they are playing Shardul in this ODI.

Agree 110%  But by any sane yardstick, you can't tag Dhoni's performance today as a failure or "torture".  

Edited by sandeep
3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Agree 110%  But by any sane yardstick, you can't tag Dhoni's performance today as a failure or "torture".  

It is not about this game match or series. It is about India lacking finishers. This is Dhoni stat line in Sachin's 200 match. These odis should be all about finding next player who could replicate Dhoni. We will never find another Dhoni but we need to keep trying.

MS Dhoni (c) †

not out

11 minutes ago, putrevus said:

It is not about this game match or series. It is about India lacking finishers. This is Dhoni stat line in Sachin's 200 match. These odis should be all about finding next player who could replicate Dhoni. We will never find another Dhoni but we need to keep trying.

MS Dhoni (c) †

not out

Well he knows other guy ll play for milestone hence we needed someone who can play for the Team at that point. Once we got rid of cancer this team is full of match winners. We are winning it 4-0 just knock it off

25 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Well he knows other guy ll play for milestone hence we needed someone who can play for the Team at that point. Once we got rid of cancer this team is full of match winners. We are winning it 4-0 just knock it off

Sorry I don't have time for this.bye

34 minutes ago, putrevus said:

MS Dhoni (c) †

not out

Dhoni's not going to turn back the clock.   Find the power hitting elsewhere. Use Dhoni as a stable #5 bat, with #6 and 7 bringing the thump.  Why do people insist on demanding him to do what he did in the past?   An ODI lineup doesn't need 150 SR bats in all slots.  He can still be part of the solution.   Judge him by the new statistical metrics of his new role and abilities.   Can he consistently be that stable reliable bat without killing the innings momentum?   I'm OK with today's innings and the 10 fewer runs he scored than the perfect utopian high SR batsman, as long as he maintains a 35+ average (without not outs) with 85+ SR., and doesn't fail 80% of the time.  i.e. high levels of reliability.  That along with his keeping and experience are sufficient to keep him in the mix as long as he maintains the required fitness levels.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Dhoni's not going to turn back the clock.   Find the power hitting elsewhere. Use Dhoni as a stable #5 bat, with #6 and 7 bringing the thump.  Why do people insist on demanding him to do what he did in the past?   An ODI lineup doesn't need 150 SR bats in all slots.  He can still be part of the solution.   Judge him by the new statistical metrics of his new role and abilities.   Can he consistently be that stable reliable bat without killing the innings momentum?   I'm OK with today's innings and the 10 fewer runs he scored than the perfect utopian high SR batsman, as long as he maintains a 35+ average (without not outs) with 85+ SR., and doesn't fail 80% of the time.  i.e. high levels of reliability.  That along with his keeping and experience are sufficient to keep him in the mix as long as he maintains the required fitness levels.  

I don't have anything else to add on this.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

There should be dislike option apart from down vote. :thinking: Dislike/downvote is for bolded.

Dhoni should be ideally out. But if he is in he should bat at 6 or 7 position. Anything above he doesn't deserve and is a liability.

Edited by Pollack