Wadekar just turned senile.

gator

Former chairman of selectors Ajit Wadekar says Mohammad Kaif deserves a place in the Indian squad for the 2007 World Cup, in the West Indies. "Kaif has done quite well in the past. He has performed well whenever given a chance lower down the order, so I am surprised to see him being neglected," Wadekar told rediff.com on Friday. Kaif performed well in the one-day series in the West Indies last year, scoring three half-centuries in five matches, but since then has failed to find a permanent place in the batting order. After India's debacle in the one-dayers in South Africa, he was dropped from the team and has since then not been recalled, giving a clear signal that the selectors are not considering him for the World Cup. However, Wadekar feels Kaif's brilliance in the field should give him the nod ahead of a few others for the mega event in March-April. "After all, in today's cricket runs saved are run scored, so that's why Kaif is very important in the team. As you have seen in the past, he has played some very crucial match-winning innings coming in late down the order," added the former India captain and coach. "Kaif deserves more chances. He must be picked for World Cup," he said. Wadekar also feels that though places must not be taken for granted, Virender Sehwag, if back in form, could just make the difference. "India require a player like Sehwag who can get you those quick starts. A blazing start lays the perfect foundation for players like Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar," he added. He said either Mahendra Singh Dhoni or Dinesh Karthik should be included, since Dravid can take up wicketkeeping duties in case of an emergency. "I would certainly prefer Karthik, since, I think, he is a good wicketkeeper and is in good batting form." There is no place for Uttar Pradesh youngster Suresh Raina or Mumbai spinner Ramesh Powar in Wadekar's squad. The 15-member Indian squad for the World Cup will be picked on Monday, February 12, in Mumbai.

Re: Wadekar just turned senile. He has a point though... Dhoni didn't too well in the ODIs in West Indies now did he? Just a reminder... averages after the Windies tour... Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St M Kaif 5 5 1 205 66* 51.25 67.88 - 3 2 - V Sehwag 5 5 0 237 97 47.40 95.56 - 2 3 - Yuvraj Singh 4 4 0 183 93 45.75 70.93 - 2 - - R Dravid 5 5 0 149 105 29.80 78.01 1 - 3 - MS Dhoni 5 5 1 95 46* 23.75 78.51 - - 5 - Harbhajan Singh 5 3 1 35 26 17.50 76.08 - - 1 - SK Raina 5 5 1 69 27 17.25 55.64 - - 2 - Y Venugopal Rao 1 1 0 11 11 11.00 39.28 - - - -

Re: Wadekar just turned senile.

Teams can't be picked based on some numbers that depict someone's average a year ago. Kaif's batting fell miserably apart after that WI series. People in form should be picked and not based on some numbers.
Kaif has avg 16 after WI series. Sehwag on the other hand has avg 14 during the same period. Dravid prior to WI series played in India was also avg in teens. My point is not many players were in form prior to WI series played in India. Almost all of them were avg the same. Everyone got a chance but not Kaif. Infact Sehwag will carry this horrible form to world cup, Pathan only player i can think who was asked to return mid tour will also be going to world cup, uttapa with one 70 in 40 is also going so is i-am-about-to-breakdown munaf. Our team looks great on paper but it wont survive world cup. I would be surprised if we make it to semi's. hammering second line of WI bowlers on home ground doesnt mean we are on our way to winning world cup.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Wadekar just turned senile. Kaif at his best could produce a century once in ablue moon wit a strike rate of 70 and we all knowwhat sehwag is capable of. I won't bother commenting about dravid's ability..

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Wadekar just turned senile.

We dont need kaif when sehwag' date=' sachin n co are on fire. We need kaif when none of them is firing and of late its been happening quiet often.[/quote'] and kaif has been firing all along.. ak to medicore talent to start with and then not firing.. thanks but no thanks :wtg:

Re: Wadekar just turned senile. i accept kaif is not a complete batsman but he makes up with the grit he shows while batting. On a doggy pitch while chasing 220 at 100/4 i would prefer a less talented kaif walking out than a dhoni or sehwag, however kartick does comes across as a good replacement for kaif. What does a team filled with openers need, a middle order batsman not another young opener. Anyways this whole discussion is futile we all know kaif wont make it to world cup.