India need better opposition

G_B_

5 hours ago, goose said:

daft question but what exactly does SL need the extra money for?

They aren't exactly bringing in a lot of cash from their local TV and stadium revenue.   ICC revenue share and money from hosting touring teams from richer TV markets forms the lions share of their income.   Their administrators are the typical corrupt babu types, and have blown a lot of money recently building white elephant stadiums that don't really get used aside from the odd international game.   

In one of Andrew Fernando's recent articles slamming the board, he pointed out that the board had failed to organize their premier 4 team First Class tournament for the last 2 years, despite announcing it multiple times.  Not sure if its due to lack of funds, or lack of intent.  Bottomline, SL Cricket has a lot of room for improvement in terms of how its managed.   

Edited by sandeep
1 hour ago, sandeep said:

They aren't exactly bringing in a lot of cash from their local TV and stadium revenue.   ICC revenue share and money from hosting touring teams from richer TV markets forms the lions share of their income.   Their administrators are the typical corrupt babu types, and have blown a lot of money recently building white elephant stadiums that don't really get used aside from the odd international game.   

In one of Andrew Fernando's recent articles slamming the board, he pointed out that the board had failed to organize their premier 4 team First Class tournament for the last 2 years, despite announcing it multiple times.  Not sure if its due to lack of funds, or lack of intent.  Bottomline, SL Cricket has a lot of room for improvement in terms of how its managed.   

strikes me as being similar to the old argument of welfare state versus making work pay.

35 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

The Same SL team bullied us for a good 5 years with Jayasuriya and co, i for one am enjoying this long series of phainty we are giving them day in and day out, since Dhoni had taken over as captain, its been all India ever since.

it was never to this extent, they merely competed in India and beat in SL. SL never won a test in India. telling stat. India now totally dominates SL, last i remember is Zim

14 minutes ago, goose said:

strikes me as being similar to the old argument of welfare state versus making work pay.

I think the problem is that you are approaching the issue from a pre-determined position - You clearly believe that international cricket needs reforms that introduce financial consequences for losing, and everything else flows from there.   I don't necessarily disagree with you on your theory,  but in my opinion, that's tertiary or lower.   The larger issue for Cricket is the fact that at any given time, there are only 5 or fewer countries who are really able to field teams that can compete at a top-class level.   Its more important for the game to figure out a strategy that increases that number, rather than think in punitive terms.    Especially in the coming years, when international cricket fixtures outside of World Cup tournaments are bound to shrink.   

Of course, no person or organization should continue to collect rewards for poor performance, and accountability is important.  But the odds of sports teams and organizations getting better by reducing the resources they have, are not high.  

What has Indian cricket achieved playing Westindies and Srilanka in 10 straight matches?

sure our overall win-loss % has improved but how did it in anyway benefit Indian cricket.

Players have improved their stats

apart from that

who are the new talents we unearthed?

can we say that we have the perfect x1 for all conditions with capable backups after this long boring season?

Without turning this into Dhoni bashing- I have always maintained he is our greatest LOI MVP since Kapil but do we have a backup for him when he eventually retires?

can we be confident against big teams if Kohli is injured god forbid in a crucial must win game?

there was a period after 2005 when even if SRT Dravid Kumble where rested we would roll over opposition-can we feel the same confidence now if our main players are injured/rested?

Just now, maniac said:

What has Indian cricket achieved playing Westindies and Srilanka in 10 straight matches?

sure our overall win-loss % has improved but how did it in anyway benefit Indian cricket.

apart from that

can we say that we have the perfect x1 for all conditions with capable backups after this long boring season?

Without turning this into Dhoni bashing- I have always maintained he is our greatest LOI MVP since Kapil but do we have a backup for him when he eventually retires?

can we be confident against big teams if Kohli is injured god forbid in a crucial must win game?

there was a period after 2005 when even if SRT Dravid Kumble where rested we would roll over opposition-can we feel the same confidence now if our main players are injured/rested?

We wont miss a beat if Dhoni is kicked out next game....

3 minutes ago, LORD_analyst said:

India is due to play with sri lanka in nov-dec   at the cost of delaying competitive SA tour .....huh are they high???

There's a backstory there.  South Africa is trying to milk maximum $$$ from the Indian tour - they want India to play max number of ODIs, T20s, and also have India play their "boxing day" and New Year's test.  While they are actively and openly working against BCCI interests at the ICC level.   So the BCCI are retaliating by reducing Indian team's availability - no hope for SA to host India in December and early Jan.  And say goodbye to that massive number of LOI fixtures.   BCCI are doing what they can to increase India's chances in the test series though - they insisted on a warm-up game before the tests, for example.  

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

apart from that

Rare instance where I agree with Froggy.  Lot of room for improvement in terms of selection policy and auditioning talent.  

This is what happens when cricket decisions are made with non-cricket priorities in mind - such as TV revenue, favors for the opposition board, etc etc.  

The saving grace is that our 'A' team has played away tours with full tests and ODIs in South Africa and Australia in the last 12 months or so.   That is pretty good.  

1 hour ago, maniac said:

The only thing achieved in the WI ODI series was Kuldeep getting 5 games.

Nothing else of interest on that tour really as no other youngsters were tried.

The SL tour is different 

We have tried Shardul, Chahal, Pandey, Rahul at 4, Axar and Kuldeep.