Kohli's chances of beating SRT's 1998 record year

surajmal

1 hour ago, goose said:

Cook is in no way a challenger. By giving credence to this comparison you are are buying into the myth that Tendulkar's greatness stems from his longevity. 

I'm not.  Earlier in this thread, I explicitly said that Kohli's ODI brilliance, as impressive as it is, for sheer productivity and consistency, is not even close to Tendy's level, because VK for all his run production can never match the qualitative greatness of Tendy's batting. And he'll be among the first to tell you this.   The only reason Cook is still playing test cricket is because England cricket can't find openers of sufficient calibre to replace him (TINA factor).   And the only reason his numbers are even in the same zipcode as Tendy's is because England play a phuckton of tests every year, especially in today's era of cheap (relatively speaking) runs, while Tendy in his prime barely played half the number of tests per year that English batsmen get.  

Edited by sandeep
3 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

How many of those matches in 1998 were against Kenya and Zimbabwe ??

"Destroyed arguably the best cricket side the world had ever seen " 

Such dishonest and silly hyperbole can only come from a dimwit fanbuoy.

Who were the ODI bowlers in this " best cricket side the world had ever seen " team ?

Tom Moody, Steve Waugh, Kasprowicz, Fleming , and a Shane Warne returning from shoulder injury and getting tonked by every top order Indian batter -- and this is the " greatest ODI Bowlers " the world has ever seen.

And what was the wicket ? -- Sharjah patta tracks.

Everybody with little bit of cricket understanding and more importantly honesty would know that McGrath OWNED Tendulkar- ODIs or Test cricket. Tendulkars avg in both ODIS and Test Cricket drops more than 50 % when McGrath is playing vs not.

Tendulkar made some merry on Sharjah pattas in 1998 against a way below par Aussie attack and the BS about this goes on and on ..

For an unbiased observer - Kohlis assault on Malingas 140K plus Yorkers in Australia and that blistering knock to make us qualify for the finals was 100 times a stronger display of batting skill.

Sharjah wasn't the only time Tendy bossed the Aussies.  And he did it in test cricket as well, both home and away.   In spite of being given out "Shoulder before wicket" in Australia.   The rest of your rant is not worthy of a considered response from me.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Sharjah wasn't the only time Tendy bossed the Aussies.  And he did it in test cricket as well, both home and away.   In spite of being given out "Shoulder before wicket" in Australia.   The rest of your rant is not worthy of a considered response from me.  

You are too ignorant to reply with facts - in response to facts. It is not my " ranting " but your dishonesty/ ignorance that is the problem.

^ Koi Nai. You have always been a chicken when confronted with facts.

Tendulkar vs Mcgrath 2 WC encounters:

1999 knock-out - Out for single digits ( Mcgrath )

2003 finals - Out for single digits ( Mcgrath ) 

^ I thought big players raise their games in clutch matches. Has it not been the case with most sporting legends ? Who was the bigger player here ?

Tendulkar in ODIS  vs Aus when Mcgrath is playing.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=default;player_involve=2101;template=results;type=batting  - Avg drops to 36. 

Tendulkar's fanboys can keep getting countless orgasms about his Sharjah patta exploits against Tom Moody, Fleming, Steve Waugh etc...but the fact is when it mattered vs. Australia - Mcgrath was his BOSS.

Edited by narenpande1

Best part of 1998 was the epic Tendulkar-Warne duel early in the year. It was being hyped up as the contest of the century and SRT was ready. He dug holes outside the leg stump and made Sivaramakrishnan and a few other talented leggies bowl in that rough in Chepauk for over a month in the lead up to the series. 1st he bajaoed the Aussies in that Bombay-Aus warm up and continued the rich vein of form to the test series. Warne got him out for 4 in the 1st innings at Chepauk and bowled a few jaffas in the 2nd innings to him but 1998 Tendu was different, words don't do justice to his greatness. Those pitches would be called rank turners by today's gora snowflakes and the way Sachin treated the greatest spinner of all time....MAGIC.

Kohli bhakts better STFU, Kohli is a FTB who can't buy a run against quality swing or seam or spin. At the peak of his career we saw how badly he flunked against Eng in 2014 and this year's Aus series. By contrast Tendu never flunked till the 2002 NZ series by which time he was no longer the beast of old. So stop the silly comparisons with real legends. Kohli isn't among the top 5 ODI batsmen of all time and not among the top 50 test batsmen of all time. Sachin is 2nd greatest in ODIs and in top 5 in tests. 

14 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

^ Koi Nai. You have always been a chicken when confronted with facts.

Tendulkar vs Mcgrath 2 WC encounters:

1999 knock-out - Out for single digits ( Mcgrath )

2003 finals - Out for single digits ( Mcgrath ) 

^ I thought big players raise their games in clutch matches. Has it not been the case with most sporting legends ? Who was the bigger player here ?

Tendulkar in ODIS  vs Aus when Mcgrath is playing.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=default;player_involve=2101;template=results;type=batting  - Avg drops to 36. 

Tendulkar's fanboys can keep getting countless orgasms about his Sharjah patta exploits against Tom Moody, Fleming, Steve Waugh etc...but the fact is when it mattered vs. Australia - Mcgrath was his BOSS.

I agree Mcgrath was Tendu's nemesis just like Nadal to Federer or Lin Dan to Lee Chong Wei or Kasparov to Anand. Both are the black caviar among the ATGs. No shame in losing to Mcgrath, he was a true champion who owned most of the superstar batsmen of his era. Problem is Kohli doesn't belong in that league. i have seen enough of Kohli's clown ass technique and believe me....he would have **** his pants against a Pollock, forget Mcgrath. Mcgrath would have made the brat cry, through the toy out of the pram, would have got him out every 6th ball and Kohli wouldn't get a run.

45 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

How many of those matches in 1998 were against Kenya and Zimbabwe ??

"Destroyed arguably the best cricket side the world had ever seen " 

Such dishonest and silly hyperbole can only come from a dimwit fanbuoy.

Who were the ODI bowlers in this " best cricket side the world had ever seen " team ?

Tom Moody, Steve Waugh, Kasprowicz, Fleming , and a Shane Warne returning from shoulder injury and getting tonked by every top order Indian batter -- and this is the " greatest ODI Bowlers " the world has ever seen.

And what was the wicket ? -- Sharjah patta tracks.

Everybody with little bit of cricket understanding and more importantly honesty would know that McGrath OWNED Tendulkar- ODIs or Test cricket. Tendulkars avg in both ODIS and Test Cricket drops more than 50 % when McGrath is playing vs not.

Tendulkar made some merry on Sharjah pattas in 1998 against a way below par Aussie attack and the BS about this goes on and on ..

For an unbiased observer - Kohlis assault on Malingas 140K plus Yorkers in Australia and that blistering knock to make us qualify for the finals was 100 times a stronger display of batting skill.

There was a certain 'Damien Fleming' in the attack, who wasn't exactly Glen Mcgrath but looked pretty threatening in all of the matches. He WAS bowling mean, sharp and dangerous. During the time the match was played, even Mcgrath would have suffered against Sachin, that I would say for sure. 

So I don't think anybody's making any hype of Sachin. Times were different, people didnt play as fast as Sachin used to play then, it was pre 20:20. Compared to Australia, Indian bowling was worse. Why didn't any of Aussie batters play better than Sachin if it was too easy? 

Please don't forget Henry Olonga at that time was bowling pretty fast too. So, the bowling wasnt as poor as you are making it out to be. It was a pretty good attack.

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I agree Mcgrath was Tendu's nemesis just like Nadal to Federer or Lin Dan to Lee Chong Wei or Kasparov to Anand. Both are the black caviar among the ATGs. No shame in losing to Mcgrath, he was a true champion who owned most of the superstar batsmen of his era. Problem is Kohli doesn't belong in that league. i have seen enough of Kohli's clown ass technique and believe me....he would have **** his pants against a Pollock, forget Mcgrath. Mcgrath would have made the brat cry, through the toy out of the pram, would have got him out every 6th ball and Kohli wouldn't get a run.

yeah..Kohli has such a clown @ss technique that not a single bowler on the planet has a wood over him. 

Whereas Tendulkar with his divine technique was not only owned by Mcgrath, but even the likes of Abdur Razzaq and Hansie Cronje

6 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

There was a certain 'Damien Fleming' in the attack, who wasn't exactly Glen Mcgrath but looked pretty threatening in all of the matches. He WAS bowling mean, sharp and dangerous. During the time the match was played, even Mcgrath would have suffered against Sachin, that I would say for sure. 

So I don't think anybody's making any hype of Sachin. Times were different, people didnt play as fast as Sachin used to play then, it was pre 20:20. Compared to Australia, Indian bowling was worse. Why didn't any of Aussie batters play better than Sachin if it was too easy? 

Please don't forget Henry Olonga at that time was bowling pretty fast too. So, the bowling wasnt as poor as you are making it out to be. It was a pretty good attack.

Damien Fleming was an " decent "  swing bowler. Nothing more, nothing less. To call an attack where he was the only decent bowler as " greatest to have ever played " as was attributed by that " goose " fanbouy is just pathetic hyperbole.

Pak ODI attack in those days was 10 times more lethal than the Aus - as no one had figured Saqlains doora then, Akhtar was at his lethal best and Akram and Co were too menacing in reverse swing conditions in Sharjah.

Edited by narenpande1
17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Calm down brother, don't get baited by frothing ignoramuses. No amount of facts can cure willful blindness. 

19 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

Damien Fleming was an " decent "  swing bowler. Nothing more, nothing less. To call an attack where he was the only decent bowler as " greatest to have ever played " as was attributed by that " goose " fanbouy is just pathetic hyperbole.

Pak ODI attack in those days was 10 times more lethal than the Aus - as no one had figured Saqlains doora then, Akhtar was at his lethal best and Akram and Co were too menacing in reverse swing conditions in Sharjah.

The same Pak attack against Sachin made memorable century in the 2nd innings of the test, and the same bowling attack who had to get Sachin out by hook and crook by running him out? 

To call Damien Fleming as a ' decent' bowler is laughable. He was way better than Waqar and Wasim in those times and way better than Razzaq And Mahmood. Akhtar was fast and hence, I cant and wont compare him to Akhtar.

So, Kasprowicz wasnt no mug with the ball either. It was a more than decent attack, just a level below a terrifying world class bowling attack.

16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Calm down brother, don't get baited by frothing ignoramuses. No amount of facts can cure willful blindness. 

LOLz..I am the only one who is talking/giving facts. Your lot have given no facts but you expect people to swallow your silly fanbouy subjective assessments down their throats. Dishonesty much.

1 minute ago, narenpande1 said:

LOLz..I am the only one who is talking/giving facts. Your lot have given no facts but you expect people to swallow your silly fanbouy subjective assessments down their throats. Dishonesty much.

that's your problem - you deal in facts. i deal in sport.

Just now, Rightarmfast said:

The same Pak attack against Sachin made memorable century in the 2nd innings of the test, and the same bowling attack who had to get Sachin out by hook and crook by running him out? 

To call Damien Fleming as a ' decent' bowler is laughable. He was way better than Waqar and Wasim in those times and way better than Razzaq And Mahmood. Akhtar was fast and hence, I cant and wont compare him to Akhtar.

So, Kasprowicz wasnt no mug with the ball either. It was a more than decent attack, just a level below a terrifying world class bowling attack.

HAHAHAHA...no comments.

What people totally discount is the fact that Kohli is also the captain. A very difficult SELFLESS JOB with huge added responsibility, when you are also the premier batsman in you your side.

Tendulkar had 2 stints as captain. We all know what happened with the pathetic results there.

In the second stint in 2000 - Tendulkar had the same the very same nucleus of players that Ganguly later inherited - and we all know how Ganguly turned it around when we were in the dumps.

The key difference between Tendulkar and Kohli - is that one looks only beyond himself and has the fiercest desire to win - win at all costs. Whereas the other... 

And it shows in the results