Trichromatic

Star bags IPL media rights for INR 16, 347 crores

Star got it pretty cheap tbh ,considering its the whole package of india+global rights ,as well as online streaming and stuff.

Sony bid 11,000 cr just for india rights whereas Star bid 6,100 cr for india rights but won due to consolidated bid in all categories.

Edited by RAZPOR

5 minutes ago, RAZPOR said:

Star got it pretty cheap tbh ,considering its the whole package of india+global rights ,as well as online streaming and stuff.

Sony bid 11,000 cr just for india rights whereas Star bid 6,100 cr for india rights but won due to consolidated bid in all categories.

It's not cheap for them. Although they bid 6k for India rights, but they would have expected themselves to win global rights. They certainly didn't estimate other rights to be of 10k. 

If BCCI had allowed bidders to win in individual catergory, total would have been 15,800 crores which is lower than global bid by star.

1 minute ago, Trichromatic said:

It's not cheap for them. Although they bid 6k for India rights, but they would have expected themselves to win global rights. They certainly didn't estimate other rights to be of 10k. 

If BCCI had allowed bidders to win in individual catergory, total would have been 15,800 crores which is lower than global bid by star.

You are right .

I got wrong info from some crappy source.

Btw 

Facebook bidfing 3900cr just for india digital rights is a great sign,next bid in 5 years would easily fetch 5 billion+

3 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Time to start expanding  - number of teams as well as length of the season. 

+ 1. In long run (next b10 years), A more structured approach like we have in European fottball say English premier league, La Liga. Concept of qualifying and relegation will make huge difference

2 minutes ago, mishra said:

+ 1. In long run (next b10 years), A more structured approach like we have in European fottball say English premier league, La Liga. Concept of qualifying and relegation will make huge difference

I like the american version better - Its simpler and IPL is already doing it, season >> playoffs. Tweak the players' rights aspect though. Do away with auctions and go the free agents/drafts (for young players)/ trades route.  

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Still less than ICC revenues :frown:

ICC revenues are for 12 months of cricket, IPL is for 2.  

I want the IPL to be 10+ teams before this contract is up.   And I want the IPL season to start earlier.  Ultimately, overlap in timing with the greenbro Pure SattayBaaz League, and crush it.  

On the subject of our bichde greenbros,  Just 2 IPL games ($8.5 mm per game) will earn Indian Cricket board more profits via TV rights, than 3 seasons ($15 mm) of the Phateechar Satteybaaz Langar combined.   2 things that are obvious from that.  One, the aukaat of PSK.  and Two - PCB officials definitely pocketed a healthy couple of million dollars by underselling the rights.   While Pakistani domestic cricketers play with desi made "Gray" balls that fall apart after 5-10 overs, Najam Sethi and his posse travel the world in style, tossing Giles Clarke's salad.  

Edited by sandeep

^ Green bros will attempt to kill some non Pakistan Premier Satta League player way before IPL gets bigger. Or may be some coach/player will commit so called "Suicide" in team Hotel.

All I care about is BCCI becoming big enough to start sponsoring cricket players and stadias at small town levels

7 minutes ago, mishra said:

^ Green bros will attempt to kill some non Pakistan Premier Satta League player way before IPL gets bigger. Or may be some coach/player will commit so called "Suicide" in team Hotel.

All I care about is BCCI becoming big enough to start sponsoring cricket players and stadias at small town levels

To some degree it has already happened.  Places like Goa, Dharamsala, Ranchi, Indore, Rajkot have international class stadiums.  

But agree, more of these profits should be invested in access, infrastructure, and player compensation at the domestic level.   Australian domestic cricketers have been among the highest paid in the world for more than 20 years.  This ensures that high level athletes are attracted to the sport, and able to dedicate their time to polishing their skills.  Its not a co-incidence that Australia regularly dominates cricket on the world stage.   A well-compensated player base means a well trained and motivated player base - one that will consistently produce high-calibre talent.   

14 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Is that the going value for Indian cricket ? I believe it sold out many years back. Specifically that time when Dhoni opted out of SL tour because of fatigue after IPL. I knew that cricket had been sold then. 

Sorry for the rant. 

Buddy this is called evolution. Not sold.

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! Hope BCCI isn't listening to such people, even Gemini circus doesn't stay more than that in one place.

Edited by Gollum

Just now, Gollum said:

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! 

6 months is too much.  About 3.5 months is reasonable.  With more gaps between games.  

15 years from now, I want the IPL to have at least 12 India based franchises, and one in Sri Lanka and the Middle-east.  Expansion of the calendar to 3+ months and the geographic base, both local and international, is easy to achieve, and a massive revenue generator.  Anything less will be a failure.  

Just now, Gollum said:

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! 

3-4+- month will be ideal. That gives ICC about 2-3 quarters to plan various tournaments or accoomodate various other series.

Since India is a big country, A relaxed itenary and schedule for players will actually improve overall IPL viewership. It can be argued otherwise to but I will prefer a much relaaxed schedule

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Hope the $$$$ trickles down to those who need it the most. But having 6 months IPL as some are suggesting is insanity !!! Hope BCCI isn't listening to such people, even Gemini circus doesn't stay more than that in one place.

Kirkit is not circus. It is a competition and a demanding sport.

25 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

If there was no winning in individual category then what was the point of having separate categories? Just label it as media rights. No other company except star and sony had any chance if only the overall bid is considered.

How other companies didn't have a chance? If star had bid 3% lower than their global bid, there would have been individual winners. Seems like good way to maximise profits. Only star went for global bid.

5 hours ago, mishra said:

:phehe:

1 hour ago, diga said:

roughly 500m$  + production expenses per year for IPL alone... would be interesting to see how Star earns it back

Mr diga is: ipl = -ve (infinity) ?

Your equation is incorrect.

36 minutes ago, Imtiaz said:

Hahah Sach mn Mera to ab khara ho jata hy india walon ki hum sy obsession/hate dekh ky.

I mean Seriously Ipl is way ahead of PSL in terms of everything and thats not rocket science to understand. Why you have to bring it in Ipl conversation is beyond me considering its no match or threat at this Stage infact You are giving useful milege to psl

This thread is discussing the business of T20 leagues.  And as such, all leagues CPL, BBL, PSL fall under that subject.  And not just the PSL, I want the BCCI to finalize a "IPL Cricket Carnival" at the same time when ECB launches their own version.   

There were timesin the past when in spite of political turbulence, BCCI and PCB used to work together for mutual benefit.   Given that the PCB has decided to change tack and work with the likes of Giles Clarke, there is no reason why BCCI shouldn't take appropriate measures to cut off rival leagues at the knees.   If you want to be hostile to India, then be prepared for hostility back.  Simple as that.  

Banjo, you keep sending terrorists and murderers to our country, and hide behind nukes and China, and you want Indian board to give you a home tour and the $100 million Khairaat  that comes with that.   Fact off.  Take that bhikmangi elsewhere.  Maybe Giles Clarke will throw a few more "World XI" games your way if Najam Sethi swallows instead of spitting.  

Edited by sandeep

On Monday, September 04, 2017 at 10:45 PM, diga said:

roughly 500m$  + production expenses per year for IPL alone... would be interesting to see how Star earns it back

that's for global rights and star will sell the rights in different countries to the highest bidder. These people know very well to extract money out of our pockets. So, I wouldn't be worried about their breaking even when they are about to swim in moolahs because of most watched league in the world.

Such high bids are not good from consumers point of view. This bid translates to almost Rs.25 lakh per ball / Rs. 1.5 crore per over. To recover this money and extract value from monopoly on cricket rights in Indian subcontinent, Star is going to raise subscription amounts immensely in future.  We may get to a scenario where some marquee matches like IPL finals & semi-finals may become PAY-PER-VIEW .

We already had one instance where Nimbus ( Neo Sports) was unable to monetize the rights to the expected value and defaulted on payments to BCCI in 2013 . Also , with Indian consumers getting more exposure to global sports along with too much of cricket on TV , football and other sports like Kabaddi are going to make a dent in cricket TRPs in future. 

Edited by Soorma_Bhopali

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Guest, sign in to access all features.