Dhoni's standing in the pantheon of ODI legends/greats?

SK_IH

Dhoni's standing in the pantheon of ODI legends/greats?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Dhoni's standing in the pantheon of ODI legends/greats?

• All time Great Top 5
    • All time Great Top 10
    • Indian Great,thats it
    • Good batsman,who selfishly played for his stats
    • Average batsman,nothing special

Lots of heated debate going on in the forum at the moment about Dhoni all about being padding stats and there is nothing great about his batting.Though there are some also who rate his batting quite highly like myself.So,I want to see whats the general view of point of ICF about Dhoni's status as a batsman in ODI cricket?

So please vote and also justify if you think he is selfish or no good?

Dhoni's USP and advantage is that he is a WK-Bat, bats in the middle order and has (had) great ability to be there till the end and finish games.

There is hardly another ODI cricketer ever who had this combination of skill set.

If you pick an all time ODI XI, Dhoni is almost assured to be picked as the WK-Bat. The closest rival would be Adam Gilchrist, but he was an opening batsman and there are plenty of other good (better) opening batsmen to choose from.

Even purely as a batsman, he is right up there esp. because of the position he bats at. There are very few great middle order ODI batsmen compared to top order batsmen.

My All Time ODI XI

1) S Tendulkar

2) S Jayasuriya

3) V Richards

4) V Kohli

5) AB DeVilliers

6) *+ MS Dhoni

7) K Dev

8) M Starc

9) S Warne

10) M Muralitharan

11) J Garner

#7 is contentious. I wanted a pace bowling all rounder there, neither a pure bowler nor a batting all rounder. Only Andrew Flintoff and Kapil Dev would fit my requirement. Went for Kapil Dev because of his excellent batting SR, low bowling ER, opening swing bowling and fielding.

Edited by philcric
5 hours ago, kira said:

Let's see:-

Below Tendulkar, VIV, Kohli, Warne, Akram, Mcgrath, Ponting, Murali, Gilchrist

So, yeah he might scrap through into top 10 unless I am forgetting someone

If you were putting together a World all-time XI, and you could only pick one of Gilchrist or Dhoni, there's no way you pick Gilly.   There are other candidates who can play the hard-hitting opener slot at least as well as Gilly (avg 35, SR 96), but hard to find anyone who can come close to Dhoni's stats at #6.  And in terms of glove-work, Dhoni would have the edge as well.

Unless, you want to just hate on old grey-beard.  Then, by all means, throw logic out the window, and just post a few funny pics of him lunging.