4K UHD HDR

zen

First, let's be clear that this is not a movie review thread but to discuss which movies and shows look great on 4K HDR (picture and sound quality) :dance:

In 4K HDR blue rays, Planet Earth 2 looks absolutely brilliant on screen :shock:  .... Logan looks good too

I have heard nice things about 4k HDR versions of John Wick, Lucy, The Revenant, etc. 

PS

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/best-4k-blu-rays/

Edited by zen

16 hours ago, dial_100 said:

Is it out on NF yet or Hulu or Amazon? I bought the whole 1st season but it was not HD. 

I guess you are referring to Planet Earth. I have noticed it on Netflix. Not sure about the availability of PE 2 on streaming channels

I have Planet Earth 2 on 4K HDR and it looks absolutely stunning. HDR, especially if it is used properly by the film-makers, is the way to go 

PS

Edited by zen

Any IMAX movie would do. The Dark Knight is the master of it, largely due to the fact that the CGI is very minimal. That's the reason why Interstellar looks a bit off. Remember the truck flip scene? Instead of cg or miniature, he really flipped the truck. 

Ironically, some critics told that 'cg' looked unrealistic. 

Current open source common standard is HDR 10. Appears as if to support HDR 10+, the equipment should have the new HDMI 2.1, which would largely be on 2018 models .... Software upgrades would restrict HDR 10+ content on current equipment with HDMI 2.0a/b to streaming services only (and not from UHD 4K HDR player to 4K HDR TV)

Most 2016 and 2017 devices would have HDMI 2.0a or 2.0b (unless of course somehow the HDMI hardware can be upgraded to HDMI 2.1 via software upgrade) 

Btw, HDR 10+ is expected to be the open source equivalent of Dolby Vision, the best standard of HDR currently as it uses dynamic metadata

Edited by zen

From Samsung:

HDR10+ INFORMATION:

Here are the facts, confirmed via email from the product development director and the two leading engineers at Samsung:

There is no upgrade path for HDR10+ (AKA, "dynamic HDR 10") available ahead of the hardware update to HDMI 2.1 which is required to support HDR10+ from UHD Blu-Ray discs. 

Model year 2016 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0a inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2017 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0b inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.

Model year 2018 Samsung HDR TVs will support HDR10+ via streaming as well as on their HDMI 2.1 inputs.

Current status:

hdrformatsupportsept2017.jpg

Appears as if not many are in to UHD and HDR yet. Will wrap the thread with some of the best UHD / HDR presentations that I own or watched this year:

• Planet Earth 2 
  • Dunkirk (mind blowing PQ. It is like looking out of the window in to a new world :shocked: .... a reference disc .... Sadly had to return the disc as it made too much spinning noise. May get another one)
  • Logan
  • John Wick 2 
  • War on Planet of Apes (you can count the hair on apes furs) 
  • Assassin's Creed

Honorable mention

• Bridge on River Kwai (Not much an upgrade over Blue Ray. You can see a lot of film grain too but if you want to enjoy the exceptional film, UHD is the best)

Others

• Ice Age Collision Course- Ok transfer but animation always looks good
  • Wonder Woman - Ok transfer (Colors pop. Has some film grain though which some folks may not prefer) 

Rented (Sharp copies)

• Lucy
  • Lego Batman
  • Despicable Me 3

Holiday Season is coming :yay:

Edited by zen

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Appears as if not many are in to UHD and HDR yet. Will wrap the thread with some of the best UHD / HDR presentations that I own or watched this year:

• Planet Earth 2 
  • Dunkirk (mind blowing PQ. It is like looking out of the window in to a new world :shocked: .... Sadly had to return the disc as it made too much spinning noise. May get another one)
  • Logan
  • John Wick 2 
  • War on Planet of Apes (you can count the hair on apes furs) 
  • Wonder Woman (Colors pop. Has some film grain though which some folks may not prefer) 

Honorable mention

• Bridge on River Kwai (Not much an upgrade over Blue Ray. You can see a lot of film grain too but if you want to enjoy the exceptional film, UHD is the best)

Others

• Assassins Creed - OK transfer 
  • Ice Age - Ok transfer but animation always looks good

Rented (Sharp copies)

• Lucy
  • Lego Batman
  • Despicable Me 3

Holiday Season is coming :yay:

Logan's landscapes (inspired from "shane") must be spectacular in UHD as must Gal Gadot in WW.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Logan's landscapes (inspired from "shane") must be spectacular in UHD as must Gal Gadot in WW.

Relatively speaking, more than UHD (4K), it is the HDR (High Dynamic Range) which is a part of 4K discs that makes the difference 

Dunkirk's PQ is absolutely phenomenal 

Some more recommended titles in 4k HDR:

• Blue Planet 2 
  • Coco 
  • The Shape of Water 

"Gotham by Gaslight" (Steampunk genre, which I like).  While the quality of animation is basic, the 4K version gives the movie a premium feel vs the standard blue ray.  With the 4K, you also get the benefit of HDR (High Dynamic Range) which adds to the viewing experience. Blacks are inky and with dark scenes benefiting from the HDR. Color palette is expanded so the picture appears relatively different .... In comparison, on the blue ray the picture is brighter and warmer may be to compensate for the lack of HDR on the regular blue ray .... Could see the benefits of 4K HDR even on this type of animation 

Edited by zen