4K UHD HDR

zen

Inception - Very good transfer. Some shots can be soft due to Nolan's style for close ups 

Braveheart - Very good transfer esp for an old title. Some parts are soft though due to the source. HDR is impressive 

Gladiator - Very good transfer. NR makes indoor shots relatively soft at times

MI 4 - Brilliant transfer esp. the parts shot for IMAX . If the whole movie was like that this 4k disc would be reference quality

Kong Skull Island - Excellent transfer 

Edited by zen

On 9/10/2017 at 7:59 AM, zen said:

More positive reviews for PE 2 4K HDR blue ray disc:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/planet-earth-2-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review-opinion-2948946

Biggest problem with 4k movies is the lack of rental facilities of the discs. That will give you the best PQ and lossless Audio. The streaming 4k is pretty good on YT, Prime Video and Netflix, but audio is limited to age old 5.1 for most cases. I wish there was a good rental availability for 4k movie discs like Netflix or Redbox.

20 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

Biggest problem with 4k movies is the lack of rental facilities of the discs. That will give you the best PQ and lossless Audio. The streaming 4k is pretty good on YT, Prime Video and Netflix, but audio is limited to age old 5.1 for most cases. I wish there was a good rental availability for 4k movie discs like Netflix or Redbox.

Try Apple TV 4k. ITunes offers 4k in  HDR / Dolby Vision. I don’t have it yet but have heard good things about the quality .... Apple TV 4k supports Dolby Atmos audio too iirc 

Edited by zen

On 7/23/2018 at 3:52 PM, cric_fan said:

4K blurays are over priced. I usually wait until they have dropped in price before even thinking about purchasing.

In Canada, popular films range from $23 to $35 (+ tax) per movie .... Sometimes, they fall to $20 on sale but the price eventually rises to $25 range 

Edited by zen

Added two more movies to my 4K collection:

• Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • The Fifth Element 

Both of these movies are available on Netflix. Dracula is available in 4k without HDR on Netflix. I was not sure how much additional value the HDR on the 4K disc would bring. Also the film is from early 90s so it is not expected to be tack sharp like the latest movies shot on digital. Film Grain is supposed to get more pronounced and it was on the 4k version on the Netflix .... 4K disc reviews of this film were mixed too 

Boy, am I surprised. Though the film is not tack sharp, HDR has opened up the color palet. Dracula's red rob appears slightly different. On Netflix 4K it is more bright red and shiny. On the 4K HDR disc it appears a little muted and more natural. The blue inferno now appears tealish .... Also in many of the dark scenes, you are now able to see new details .... There is also a sepia tone to the disk, which gives it that "reading an old book" feel .... What the HDR is probably doing in this movie is extending the color palet and also making the colors more natural with the bright colors popping out when required .... there are nuances that separates it from the Netflix 4k version for those who can appreciate the differences .... Film grain is handled better on the disc than on the Netflix version .... On the 4K disc, some of the scenes also have a comic book feel to it which I like because of how the film is presented .... I was not expecting this to look too different from the Netflix 4k version, but I am happy to see HDR, along with the sepia tone, coming in to play here to give the film slightly different in feel .... This will probably become one of my favorite 4k disc because of the HDR implementation and how the film grain is handled even though it is not tack sharp overall 

On the 5th element disc after the initial quick check -> I am seeing the colors pop out, there is sharpness and depth to many of the scenes 

Edited by zen

I changed my HDMI cable to this and also changed setting so am seeing (or perceiving) better results

In no particular order, ignoring documentaries and animated films in my collection, below are some of the top transfers: 

• Darkest Hour (Reference quality. Beautifully shot film) 
  • Mission Impossible 4 (IMAX scenes are reference) 
  • Murder on Orient Express (Beautifully shot film. Most of the film is sharp. HDR is good)
  • The Patriot (Reference quality for an old title) 
  • John Wick 2 (Sharp and HDR shines) 

Other great to good transfers: 

• Assassins' Creed 
  • War for planet of apes 
  • Shape of Water (Beautifully shot film) 
  • Kong Skull Island (Another good looking film. Because of different cameras used, some of the scenes can be soft but it is not a big deal)
  • Logan (Some of the scenes can be soft but again it is not a big deal. UHD is still the best way to enjoy this film)

Older titles which got a new life:

• Inception
  • Gladiator
  • Braveheart
  • The Fifth Element (Most of the scenes are sharp. CGI scenes, because of their nature, are ok)
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula (Not too sharp but HDR is good esp. considering that most parts of the film are shot in a dark environment and the vibrant colors in the film. A beautifully shot film. Some scenes have a comic book feel to them. Overall, this is one of my favorite transfers) 

Ok to Avg transfers:

• Bridge on River Kwai (Good transfer esp. considering it is an old film (1950s).  HDR is good. Lots of grain though. Beautifully shot film) 
  • Wonder Woman (OK transfer. HDR is good. Usually not 4K sharp. Could have done a better job) 

Edited by zen

On 9/7/2018 at 1:01 PM, zen said:

I changed my HDMI cable to this and also changed setting so am seeing (or perceiving) better results

In no particular order, ignoring documentaries and animated films in my collection, below are some of the top transfers: 

• Darkest Hour (Reference quality. Beautifully shot film) 
  • Mission Impossible 4 (IMAX scenes are reference) 
  • Murder on Orient Express (Beautifully shot film. Most of the film is sharp. HDR is good)
  • The Patriot (Reference quality for an old title) 
  • John Wick 2 (Sharp and HDR shines) 

Other great to good transfers: 

• Assassins' Creed 
  • War for planet of apes 
  • Shape of Water (Beautifully shot film) 
  • Kong Skull Island (Another good looking film. Because of different cameras used, some of the scenes can be soft but it is not a big deal)
  • Logan (Some of the scenes can be soft but again it is not a big deal. UHD is still the best way to enjoy this film)

Older titles which got a new life:

• Inception
  • Gladiator
  • Braveheart
  • The Fifth Element (Most of the scenes are sharp. CGI scenes, because of their nature, are ok)
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula (Not too sharp but HDR is good esp. considering that most parts of the film are shot in a dark environment and the vibrant colors in the film. A beautifully shot film. Some scenes have a comic book feel to them. Overall, this is one of my favorite transfers) 

Ok to Avg transfers:

• Bridge on River Kwai (Good transfer esp. considering it is an old film (1950s).  HDR is good. Lots of grain though. Beautifully shot film) 
  • Wonder Woman (OK transfer. HDR is good. Usually not 4K sharp. Could have done a better job) 

LOL, digital cables are not like analog cables. Spending $35 on a HDMI cable is insane when you can get the same performance from a $10 good construction high speed HDMI cable. And I am a audio-videophile with good equipment. I use these in my HT system and they are as good as any expensive cables for short runs. Now if you are running 20 ft+, yes there could a difference. For 6 ft or less, NO!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ9OQU2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00NQ9OQU2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=T5J8Z6Y3T6YNECZZ1YSJ&pd_rd_wg=mtMrK&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=DWtYT&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=a6f7b52a-d3ab-11e8-acb5-95f73567967b

1 hour ago, dandaroy said:

LOL, digital cables are not like analog cables. Spending $35 on a HDMI cable is insane when you can get the same performance from a $10 good construction high speed HDMI cable. And I am a audio-videophile with good equipment. I use these in my HT system and they are as good as any expensive cables for short runs. Now if you are running 20 ft+, yes there could a difference. For 6 ft or less, NO!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ9OQU2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00NQ9OQU2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=T5J8Z6Y3T6YNECZZ1YSJ&pd_rd_wg=mtMrK&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=DWtYT&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=a6f7b52a-d3ab-11e8-acb5-95f73567967b

I understand but I got that as I wanted the following bandwidth:

Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable

Dolby Vision™ compatible

Supports up to 4096x2160 resolution

Bandwidth up to 48 Gbps

The cable that you posted has the following bandwidth:

• Supports HDMI 2.0 & 2.0a Ports (4K @ 60Hz, 18 Gbps, 28 AWG) - Connect 4K/HD TV to Blu-Ray/DVD Player, Xbox, Play Station, PC, and other HDMI devices

11 hours ago, zen said:

I understand but I got that as I wanted the following bandwidth:

Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable

Dolby Vision™ compatible

Supports up to 4096x2160 resolution

Bandwidth up to 48 Gbps

The cable that you posted has the following bandwidth:

• Supports HDMI 2.0 & 2.0a Ports (4K @ 60Hz, 18 Gbps, 28 AWG) - Connect 4K/HD TV to Blu-Ray/DVD Player, Xbox, Play Station, PC, and other HDMI devices

that cable will support both 4k HDR-10 and Dolby Vision. There is nothing to support bandwidth up to 48 Gbps. 18 gbps will support any 4K high dynamic range format that is present today. Manufacturers will present arbitrary specs which are not necessary and jack up the prices when same performance can be obtained from a well made lower price cable. Belkin's price is not that outrageous. Some of the so called "audiophile" cable companies charge twice that amount for an HDMI cable. Sadly consumers do not do research and fall for that trap.  

10 hours ago, dandaroy said:

that cable will support both 4k HDR-10 and Dolby Vision. There is nothing to support bandwidth up to 48 Gbps. 18 gbps will support any 4K high dynamic range format that is present today. Manufacturers will present arbitrary specs which are not necessary and jack up the prices when same performance can be obtained from a well made lower price cable. Belkin's price is not that outrageous. Some of the so called "audiophile" cable companies charge twice that amount for an HDMI cable. Sadly consumers do not do research and fall for that trap.  

I agree that at times the difference could be marginal 

my main goal was to get the best out of the YCbCr 4:4:4 setting on my 4k blue ray player. It appeared dull vs YCbCr 4:2:2. I assumed it could be because of cable bandwidth as it could be creating bottlenecks so got the higher bandwidth cable .... with the new cable YCbCr 4:4:4 color setting appears to kick in nicely. However I made some other changes as well so cannot pinpoint the improvement to the cable alone 

PS like you said, in most cases, atm, you would not need the additional bandwidth if the 18 Gbps cable performs optimally (many cables don’t)

http://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2017/06/22/4k-60-444-hdr

“4K60 4:4:4 runs at 17.82Gbps, but only with the default 8-bit BT.709 color. That’s the same color gamut as 720p and 1080i/p. The whole point of HDR is to increase color volume, which it can’t do unless there’s first an increased color gamut. That means stepping up to BT.2020, which in turn means 10- or 12-bit deep color. The HDMI 2.0 spec also calls for a minimum 10-bit color with BT.2020.

Here's how it stands... 

Main + 2 sides;
(Remember it has to be under 18Gbps…)

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps

4K 30 4:4:4 10b-HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps

4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps

Main + 3 sides;

4K 60 4:4:4 10b-HDR = 22.28Gbps”

Edited by zen

The Matrix Trilogy looks good on 4k HDR .... The Matrix is also on Netflix. But on 4k the picture is sharp. the color such as reds on the machines pop out due to HDR. The green tint on scenes taking place inside the Matrix is also slightly different and somewhat more pleasing