Anderson's standing in the pantheon of Test fast bowling legends/greats?

Sooda

Where would you rank him amongst test pacebowlers of all time  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you rank him amongst test pacebowlers of all time

• In the top 10
    • In the top 15
    • In the top 20

Won't call him a green track bully...used to be one at the start but has had decent returns in all countries in his 2nd phase....500 wickets is no joke and that too for a fast bowler.

Definetely an ATG.

one might argue that he will not find a slot in the world ATGx1 of all time but then again so will a lot of others like say Sangakkara,Kumble,Waqar,Ponting,Hadlee etc he is definetely right up there.

people calling him clouderson and GTB have no idea...with a new ball in any conditoythe guy looks threatening...also added reverse swing later on.

Pace? you mean you want Indian bowlers to reduce their pace by 10 miles and bowl? And economy rate? Well, it will be interesting to see the economy rate of this pace attack of India in england and new zealand!

You mean to say Ishant/ Bhuvi are bowling faster than Anderson.

If any of them can replicate Anderson when they play in England. India will have great chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 9/9/2017 at 9:19 AM, kira said:

What were you smoking while creating this thread?

He has taken five hundred test wickets.  The biggest gripe one could have is with his home/away record disparity- if you rate Kumble as an all time great then it is hypocritical to not say the same of Anderson

I would say top 15 or so of all time- I dont think there are twenty test pacemen better than he is

1 hour ago, Sooda said:

He has taken five hundred test wickets.  The biggest gripe one could have is with his home/away record disparity- if you rate Kumble as an all time great then it is hypocritical to not say the same of Anderson

I would say top 15 or so of all time- I dont think there are twenty test pacemen better than he is

First of all, who in the blue hell told you that I rate kumble as an ATG, I am not hypocritical, you are just ignorant.

Kumble isn't an ATG, he's an Indian Great

Secondly,

Marshall

Mcgrath

Steyn

Hadlee

Ambrose

Garner

Akram

Donald

Holding

Pollock

Waqar Younis

Lillee

Walsh

These guys are easily, comfortably, without a shadow of doubt way way better than clouderson, and this list is just off the top of my head, there are many others who are arguably better than clouderson based on a better away record. 

On 9/10/2017 at 0:41 AM, Stumped said:

KPH would make a bit more sense, but he clearly stated miles.

Whenever I see him, I see him bowling around 79mph to a max of 83 mph. At times he cranks it up to 85mph. Umesh, Shami, normally bowl around 90-92mph quite often. Thats a difference in excess of 7-10 mph. So yes, I stand by my words. 

20 hours ago, putrevus said:

You mean to say Ishant/ Bhuvi are bowling faster than Anderson.

If any of them can replicate Anderson when they play in England. India will have great chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean to say Umesh, shami, Ishant, Bhuvi and even Bumrah are bowling quicker than Anderson. Whether they replicate his performance or not, but if they play continuosly in such conditions for 3-5 years, their stats too would start looking close to an ATG stat

7 hours ago, kira said:

First of all, who in the blue hell told you that I rate kumble as an ATG, I am not hypocritical, you are just ignorant.

Kumble isn't an ATG, he's an Indian Great

Secondly,

Marshall

Mcgrath

Steyn

Hadlee

Ambrose

Garner

Akram

Donald

Holding

Pollock

Waqar Younis

Lillee

Walsh

These guys are easily, comfortably, without a shadow of doubt way way better than clouderson, and this list is just off the top of my head, there are many others who are arguably better than clouderson based on a better away record. 

What is Waqar's record in india, Aus and SA?

how many games has Lillee played in India?

Garner is another guy who was fast and had a good run but never a sustained level of performance

I can say Anderson is better than these 3 for sure

Also the 3rd highest test wicket taker of all time is not an ATG? Learn new things everyday

Edited by maniac
On 9/9/2017 at 1:18 PM, Rightarmfast said:

I have 4 words... Lolz... certainly a great for england team, but in my book he is not in the top 10 or 20. 

those are 4 letters, numpty! Lern the difference between words and letters

He is probably better than any Indian pacer ever at this point

Edited by AmreekanDesi

The simple facts are that since 1 Jan 2008, the stats are as follows:

James Anderson has played 109 Tests (no small sample!) and averaged 25.7!

Apart from Australia against whom he averages 33, Jimmy Anerson has a sub-30 average against ALL teams!

Also Jimmy Anderson has a sub-25 average in the following countries: UAE (huge achievement), Sri Lanka (huge achievement), West Indies and England.

And he has a sub 40 average in all countries.

Only in India does he have a really poor average of 39, which was courtesy of last tour where he was injured

The facts are that he has a much better all round record than the likes of Anil Kumnle, Thompson, Lillee etc

13 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Which Indian pacer got the same easy condition to bowl in, and was excused for non performance abroad?

Post 2008 return He averages 20 in UAE and Sri Lanka

Did well in WI. In India his overall average is poor at 39 but he did have a good tour as well so has some success

He has some holes in his record but if you go in that detail then forget our pacers, even our spinners have huge holes in their records (Kumble, Bhajji and obv Ashwin)

EDIT: In India his overall avg is 33 which is pretty decent

Edited by AmreekanDesi