If there was to be a 4th format in cricket- What would it be?

4 minutes ago, Zero_Unit said:

tis is me purely being creative here: ODI have two innings like a test match 25/25/25/25 overs. Each team bats twice. Double t20 is you want to call it, LOL

This was thought of much earlier and rejected / shelved by the ICC.

People who love T20s have their T20s.

ODIs are for fans who love the 50-over format.  

For me and many many others, the 50-over multi-nation tournaments, especially the World Cups,  are the most exciting LOIs.

24 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

make a format with restrictions on batsman and not on bowlers ,like  a batsman can face max 50 balls ,penalize the batsman if he edges the ball for runs etc .

:hysterical:

What have you been smoking?

I asked you to make a new format not a new sport :phehe:

Edited by sourab10forever

Institutionalized single player competitions, starting with all rounders.  

Cricket is a team game, but the individual battles can be immense.  Therefore, let's try individual mano a mano knockdowns.  

This used to happen in off and on before but my suggestion is to make it a regular part of the game, a format.

We start with annual competitions from club level up where all rounders compete in 5 over tournaments, in which all participants bat and bowl against each other.  It'll be like 5 over gunslinging shootouts!   (I know OP said 5-5 and 10-10s are not allowed, but I submit this is different)

Winners go up to the next stage and compete again, ultimately  deciding best all rounder at the club/ state/ regional and national level.  For example, top 20 all rounders of clubs in Karnataka, compete at the district level, and then the top 10 at the state and so on up.  

At the very top, an annual tournament for the best all rounder in the world.

There could be any number of variations. 

I think this would work.

Patenting it here.

Edited by NameGoesHere

Do the toss and go home 

or

10/10 or SRT SUGGEST TO ICC 

TEST MATCHES SHIULD BE :

First innings same as test 

second innings same as test

third innings 50 overs

Fourth innings 50 overs.

( I think most over seas test matches completed in 4 days now )

ICC think ,""it's good idea so people not loose interest in test matches ""

but SRT's idea not Materialized because Rules and regulation not accepted 

by other members of ICC.

SRT wants 25 teams in IPL by 2020 , Lets see how its work out.i think plenty of talent 

in Global cricket world if more than 4 over seas player includes in each IPL teams.

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Minor tweaks to the T20 format ----

Make it 25-25 instead of 20-20  ......the matches get over a bit too quickly. The intensity of the matches would still be very high.

Allow 2 bowlers to bowl 8 overs and 7 overs respectively ..... and the others 5 overs each.  This would improve the quality of competition.

Rules and regulation should change in 20/20 because POWER PLAY RULES favors Batsman more than bowler we can see 180/190 match after match in SOA and Eng domestic in t20 

11 hours ago, ykvyas said:

a limited overs test match format - with max overs cap e.g. 100 overs.

Exactly what I was thinking.

4 day test matches (day-night).

100 overs per day.

A team can bat only 1 day (100 overs) per innings.

Definite win/loss result. Taking 20 wickets not mandatory to win. The team which scores more wins.

This would somewhat combine the skill set of both LOIs and Tests. Good for the spectators too because of a definite win/loss result and also decent increase in the pace of the game.

Of course the rules have to be refined. What happens when a team loses only 5 wickets in their first innings of 100 overs. Do they carry forward those wickets into the second innings. What happens when  team gets bowled out before 100 overs. Do the other team gets those extra overs to bat. And rain interruptions, what if 100 overs could not be bowled in a day due to rain etc.

14 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

Was just wondering..what would the next 4th format be? What are your thoughts?

Rule :

1. 10-10s and 5-5s are not allowed. Please be creative.

In early 80s , Double wicket and Single wicket tournaments used to be pretty popular with participation from leading players. 

DOUBLE WICKET CRICKET

RULES AND INFORMATION COACHES ARE ENCOURAGED TO DISCUSS THE RULES and TIME CONSTRAINTS WITH THEIR OPPONENTS BEFORE EACH MATCH TO CLARIFYTHESE RULES

1. Each team will consist of 2 players. 2. All the teams will be divided into different pools of 4 teams in each pool. 3. As an example, Team A, B, C, D will form one pool. When Team A is batting, Team B, C and D will be fielding. Team A will bat 6 overs which will be bowled by Team B, Team C and Team D. All the six players of Team B, Team C and team D will bowl one over each. 4. Each "Out" will result in a reduction of 6 runs from the team total. 5. The "Net Runs" scored (runs scored minus the runs deducted for OUTs) in those 6 overs will be tallied for each team. 6. One winner per pool will advance to the next round. In the event of tie, team losing less number of wickets will be the winner. If the runs and the number of wickets are same then the result of the overs ONLY between the contending teams will decide the result. If there is further contention, then a rematch between/among the contending teams will be played. 7. Each player of a team will bowl one over each for each opponent team

Edited by Soorma_Bhopali