MS Dhoni mega discussion thread

velu

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

It doesn't matter that Pant has had a few failures, and Dhoni has eked out a few runs - the time has come to audition his long-term replacement.   Are you claiming that Dhoni should be picked as keeper even for T20s?

No such time has come, since Dhoni is performing magnificiently both with the gloves and bat.

10 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

1. Dhoni was a way better keeper than Pant in the most recent edition of IPL. Ie, he IS better than Pant.

2. Why Dravid and Sachin ? I have no problem with Gavaskar back in the team. Unlike you, i don't toss performing players away because of their age. Let Dravid and Sachin average 90+ with 80+ strike rate in LOIs and they too can, of course, come back.

Face it, you have no cricketing reason to ask for Dhoni over Pant. Even Gillchrist waited till his late 20s because he was behind a world class keeper, so Pant kiss kheth ki muli haye !

repeat something million times and then it becomes the truth.

Go look at head to head stats and Dhoni is the worst wicketkeeper.

18 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

you have no cricketing reason to ask for Dhoni over Pant.

Aakhir sach baat phisal kar nikal gayi:laugh:

Dhoni's batting has regressed to the point where he can no longer bat at #6 or 7, arguably even at #5.  The only way we afford Dhoni's tuk-tuk is if he plays in the middle overs if the top 3 get out cheaply.   And even in the middle overs, his extremely slow starts - along the lines of 13(29), are too expensive in terms of deliveries consumed.   Deliveries are a finite resource in white ball cricket, and even in ODIs, with the par score needle moving north of 350, you can't expect to play a #4/5 bat who is this slow, and win tournaments.  The problem is exacerbated by the fact that our top order is among the worst in the world in terms of run productivity in the 1st 10 overs.   If we had David Warner opening the batting, maybe we could afford Dhoni in the middle order.  But we have Rohit Sharma instead.  He's already sucking up the team's quota of allowable dot balls in an ODI innings.  

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

1. Dhoni was a way better keeper than Pant in the most recent edition of IPL. Ie, he IS better than Pant.

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

No such time has come, since Dhoni is performing magnificiently both with the gloves and bat.

The analysis is not that one dimensional.

Dhoni is a magnificent keeper against spin but generally does not go for diving catches or stops these days against pace. ( I can think of just 1 such catch in the recent past )

Pant's keeping against pace has been quite good in the last 6 months and his keeping against spin has improved too.

http://www.iplt20.com/video/93758/catch-it-like-pant-keeper-on-the-prowl

Dhoni has been superb with the bat when his team has been in trouble in the last 9 months or so. But, he has not been able to score at a high SR for the first 30 to 50 balls he faces.... and that creates issues while chasing really big totals, especially if he bats at No.5.

Most importantly, backups must be groomed to cover for injuries or loss of form .... and that applies to every player.

Edited by express bowling

MS Dhoni will play 2019 World Cup, says Ravi Shastri

NEW DELHI: India head coach Ravi Shastri has dismissed doubts aboutMahendra Singh Dhoni's international future, saying that the team management cannot even think of removing the Ranchi stalwart considering his current form and fitness.

Dhoni was in top form in Sri Lanka, having scored 162 runs with a strike-rate of 82.23. The former India skipper, who played his 300th One-Day International (ODI) in Sri Lanka, also grabbed eye balls with his quick reflexes behind the wicket, becoming the first wicket-keeper in ODI history to effect 100 stumpings.

Shastri asserted that Dhoni has both fitness and current form on his side and that the team will need him in the next ODI World Cup in 2019.

Shastri compared Dhoni with the likes of Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar andKapil Dev and said his achievements need to be respected.

"Where else will you find a legend like M.S. Dhoni? Dhoni is in the same league as Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar or Kapil Dev. We have to respect his achievements," Shastri told India TV on Wednesday.

Shastri, who took over as India coach in July this year after Anil Kumble resigned from the post citing differences with captain Kohli, lauded Dhoni's performance in Sri Lanka and said that there's still a lot to come from him.

The 55-year-old Shastri added that Dhoni remains the best wicket-keeper in India in ODIs.

"A player is evaluated on the basis of his current form and fitness and Dhoni has both. If you see his wicket-keeping, he is the best in ODI cricket. His fitness is superb, he batted well in Sri Lanka. And let me tell you, it was just a tralier what you saw in Sri Lanka now wait for the movie," he said.

Shastri said if Dhoni can continue to perform like this then there's no question of not having him in the 2019 World Cup.

"If he continues to play like this, there no question of not having him in the team for the 2019 world cup. You can't even think of a team without Dhoni," he said.

On inclusion of Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina, Shastri said: "Doors are not closed. They will be inducted only after they are declared fit.". :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: 

The team head coach said: "I have a problem. The amount of cricket that we are playing, we need at least 20 to 25 players. It is very difficult for a single player to play all forms of cricket. Players need rest."

Shastri said, he has talked to BCCI officials seeking rest for the players after the series with Australia. "It is better that T20 is organised later, since there is hardly any time left between the Sri Lanka series and the South Africa tour."

The head coach said, the first two matches against Australia were vital. "We have to win the first two matches. These will decide the fate of the series. Australia will get a tough challenge. Our bowling attack is strong."

At one point of time during the interview, Shastri remarked: "Maybe I will never live to see our team win all matches in Australia or in England, as we did in Sri Lanka."

Shastri had words of praise for skipper Virat Kohli. "An aggressive Virat is good for the team. Virat does not like people who do not speak straight."

"Virat is now fully mature. In cricket, you need to understand your rival team properly, Virat has learnt much and is going to learn more in the next 3-4 years."

Shastri made it clear that he had no say in team selection. "I never interfere in selection. I will prepare the team that I get."

"In the recent Sri Lanka series, we created history, we have to make a new beginning against Australia. If the kangaroos speak loudly, they will get an effective response from us."

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/australia-in-india/ms-dhoni-will-play-2019-world-cup-says-ravi-shastri/articleshow/60500334.cms

MS Dhoni will play 2019 World Cup, says Ravi Shastri

NEW DELHI: India head coach Ravi Shastri has dismissed doubts aboutMahendra Singh Dhoni's international future, saying that the team management cannot even think of removing the Ranchi stalwart considering his current form and fitness.

Dhoni was in top form in Sri Lanka, having scored 162 runs with a strike-rate of 82.23. The former India skipper, who played his 300th One-Day International (ODI) in Sri Lanka, also grabbed eye balls with his quick reflexes behind the wicket, becoming the first wicket-keeper in ODI history to effect 100 stumpings.

Shastri asserted that Dhoni has both fitness and current form on his side and that the team will need him in the next ODI World Cup in 2019.

Shastri compared Dhoni with the likes of Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar andKapil Dev and said his achievements need to be respected.

"Where else will you find a legend like M.S. Dhoni? Dhoni is in the same league as Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar or Kapil Dev. We have to respect his achievements," Shastri told India TV on Wednesday.

Shastri, who took over as India coach in July this year after Anil Kumble resigned from the post citing differences with captain Kohli, lauded Dhoni's performance in Sri Lanka and said that there's still a lot to come from him.

The 55-year-old Shastri added that Dhoni remains the best wicket-keeper in India in ODIs.

"A player is evaluated on the basis of his current form and fitness and Dhoni has both. If you see his wicket-keeping, he is the best in ODI cricket. His fitness is superb, he batted well in Sri Lanka. And let me tell you, it was just a tralier what you saw in Sri Lanka now wait for the movie," he said.

Shastri said if Dhoni can continue to perform like this then there's no question of not having him in the 2019 World Cup.

"If he continues to play like this, there no question of not having him in the team for the 2019 world cup. You can't even think of a team without Dhoni," he said.

On inclusion of Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina, Shastri said: "Doors are not closed. They will be inducted only after they are declared fit.". :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: 

The team head coach said: "I have a problem. The amount of cricket that we are playing, we need at least 20 to 25 players. It is very difficult for a single player to play all forms of cricket. Players need rest."

Shastri said, he has talked to BCCI officials seeking rest for the players after the series with Australia. "It is better that T20 is organised later, since there is hardly any time left between the Sri Lanka series and the South Africa tour."

The head coach said, the first two matches against Australia were vital. "We have to win the first two matches. These will decide the fate of the series. Australia will get a tough challenge. Our bowling attack is strong."

At one point of time during the interview, Shastri remarked: "Maybe I will never live to see our team win all matches in Australia or in England, as we did in Sri Lanka."

Shastri had words of praise for skipper Virat Kohli. "An aggressive Virat is good for the team. Virat does not like people who do not speak straight."

"Virat is now fully mature. In cricket, you need to understand your rival team properly, Virat has learnt much and is going to learn more in the next 3-4 years."

Shastri made it clear that he had no say in team selection. "I never interfere in selection. I will prepare the team that I get."

"In the recent Sri Lanka series, we created history, we have to make a new beginning against Australia. If the kangaroos speak loudly, they will get an effective response from us."

http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/australia-in-india/ms-dhoni-will-play-2019-world-cup-says-ravi-shastri/articleshow/60500334.cms

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

then lets get Saha involved.

Pant has only thing going for him right now and that is age.

He is neither the top keeper in the country or a top end bat. He deserves to sit on the sidelines as long as better options exist.

Not a bad idea. Saha is a better wicket keeper than Dhoni and if Dhoni is going to bat like this, then give me Saha any day of the week.

6 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Stats show who is the better keeper ?

:phehe::phehe::facepalm:

India's ignorant fan problem summed up in one sentence.

Dhoni is a WAY WAY better keeper than wannabe Pant. Who has done nothing, except be young. lol. 

I score 4 runs in 2 balls and then I am out. Based on your $$cked up logic I should get a game. My SR is fntastic.

You are the most ignorant fan that I know of.

Edited by Khota
39 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Sir jee, Plzz show us those stats

You can show those stats to prove how great MSD is but simple question what is the excuse that a 36 year old who will be 37 soon has no back up whatsoever? Now if someone has tried and failed sure I will buy the no alternative factor but how many backups have been tried since 2015 wc...also how many times have we played teams like Zim,Wi,SL since then...I will exclude Bangladesh as they are a good odi side these days so tell me why isn't there a back up.

The only guy who is irreplaceable in the team right now hands down is Kohli and god forbid even if he gets injured we have atleast 10 names that will sub for him...even though that will be a much bigger loss than any player in the team.

why are we harping on stats and pointless notouts when the problem is much bigger...now don't give the bs that Dhoni is not the selector etc...since 2015 WC, he was captain for the most  part....why wasn't an intitative taken to groom a successor atleast in dead rubbers or against weaker teams.

I take Dhoni's stats with a pinch of salt.....even Bhuvi got a 50 when his intention was to just save his wicket against some of the opposition.

Anyway I will not even get into Dhoni's performance as that's a debate for another day, but the entire argument that there is no alternative is totally flawed. 

simple- With Bhuvi grabbing every chance and Bumrah having a breakout year even a 25.00 average bowler like Shami can lose his spot with pandya getting in as an allrounder.

so lot of insecurity at play...maybe it's Dhoni,Maybe it's BCCI as Dhoni still generates a lot of ad revenue but something is definitely fishy.