Why are we blaming Rohit for Slow starts ?

BeautifulGame

i have seen enough of this guy over the years and there is no other irritating sight than watching this guy play in 1st 10 overs 

and seriously you are insulting everyone's intelligence by saying he plays the way he does because our top order struggles agnst new ball

ind needs a non nonsense striker of the ball upfront ,wo hitman jese selfish batsman se na ho payega 

Middle order's failure should justify opener's mediocrity?   And please remind me of the last ODI where Rohit stayed for a big one while wickets were falling around him?   
What mediocracy ?

Rohit sharma has the best average among any openers in International cricket ever.

Way above the likes of even Sachin , Amla and Hayden.

Heck Rohit averages 8-10+ runs more than compempary openers like Warner ,De Kock and Guptill
4 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

What mediocracy ?

Rohit sharma has the best average among any openers in International cricket ever.

Heck Rohit averages 8-10+ runs more than compempary openers like Warner ,De Kock and Guptill

would love to have opener like dekock,hitman can keep his high averages 

56 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

What mediocracy ?

Rohit has extremely huge ODI numbers.  And I'm not calling for him to be dropped.  He's a quality ODI opener.  One of the best 6 hitters in the team, best player of the short ball - on any deck - home or away.  One of the most dangerous players in the world, bar none, once he crosses 70-odd.   

But the fact remains that he's quite poor at strike rotation in his 1st 40 balls.  Cricinfo recently did an article on his "improved" SR in the early overs of an ODI - by pointing out that he used to be around 50 SR, but has now raised this to about 70.  Chew on that for a minute.  And you will realize why Indian fans get frustrated with him.  And the problem becomes an even more bigger one, on the days where he doesn't go on to score that big one and "catch up" on his runs-balls equation.   Reminds me of Sourav Ganguly in that aspect.   

As a package, he's still an automatic selection for ODIs if fit.  But that doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws in his game.  Personally, the primary reason I criticize him on this is that the issue appears to be a correctable one.  And although Cricinfo's stat-crunching apparently points out an improvement by Rohit relative to 3 years ago - I'm not really seeing much of an improvement in the last couple of years.  Maybe you are satisfied with an ODI opener whose SR is 70-odd except when he gets a big one - but in the days of 350 par score, its clearly a bit of an issue.  

You are one of the "good posters" in ICF for me, that's why I'm making a bit of an effort to elaborate on this.  Wouldn't take this much time to 'splain' my point of view to blind worshippers who I will not name for now :p:

Wanted to add.  Average is an antiquated statistic for modern white-ball cricket - ODIs and T20s.  An opener's job - along with the general job of a batsman to score runs - is to get the team off to a good start.  The definition of a good start has to be updated to keep pace with today's cricket.  45/0 in 10 overs would have been a brilliant start in ODIs in 1980s and 90s.  It is not anymore.  You can make a persuasive argument that a 30 ball 45 from an opener is siginficantly more valuable than a 75 ball 65.   The batsman who gives you the former will have a lower rating based on average.  But its the combination of consistency and run productivity that is a more accurate reflection of an opener's worth to the team, and his rating.