Census Fraud in Pakistan

sandeep

I just read an interesting report on the recent census that was conducted in Pakistan.  Link here.  Excellent journalism.  Lot of facts and evidence backing up the article.   Apparently, there has been massive fraud intended to ensure that more funds are directed towards Punjab and Lahore, at the expense of Sindh and Karachi.   The graph below is particularly enlightening.  Somehow, while entire Pakistan's population is growing, Karachi magically has significantly fewer people than in 2011.   Obviously census results are critical in allocating funds at the government level and justifying the same.   

I don't quite understand why there is such a systemic discrimination towards Karachi in Pakistan.    Any of our Pakistani contributors care to comment?  @KeyboardWarrior @Asim @Iconoclast 

59c02174413fc.jpg

Till now there has been party politics in each province.. Sharif in Punab (Lahore) and Bhutto/Zardari in Sindh (Karachi).. Currently Sharif family is in central govt so it favors them to lower Karachi population so they can send more fund to Punjab province..

This is similar to how BJP gives more attention to states where their rule is.. or Gerrymandering in USA politics.. just that Pakistani do this at ghatiya level. 

On 9/19/2017 at 9:00 PM, sandeep said:

I just read an interesting report on the recent census that was conducted in Pakistan.  Link here.  Excellent journalism.  Lot of facts and evidence backing up the article.   Apparently, there has been massive fraud intended to ensure that more funds are directed towards Punjab and Lahore, at the expense of Sindh and Karachi.   The graph below is particularly enlightening.  Somehow, while entire Pakistan's population is growing, Karachi magically has significantly fewer people than in 2011.   Obviously census results are critical in allocating funds at the government level and justifying the same.   

I don't quite understand why there is such a systemic discrimination towards Karachi in Pakistan.    Any of our Pakistani contributors care to comment?  @KeyboardWarrior @Asim @Iconoclast 

No need to do a research on this. its all PML-N dirty politics and nothing else. no political party in pakistan accepted the census of karachi, not even PPP. they vanished almost 5 to 6 million population in new census, so its going to be challenge in supreme court, without proper census in karachi , i dont see any elections in near future.

yesterday the senators from karachi raised the issue in senate assembly, and if they dont act on it, thn supreme court will give the order for new census in karachi. 

It was a SC order to conduct local body elections and census in pakistan, becoz Nawaz sharif wasnt interested to do anything. he just wanted to sit on the Throne like MAD KING. 

48 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

No need to do a research on this. its all PML-N dirty politics and nothing else. no political party in pakistan accepted the census of karachi, not even PPP. they vanished almost 5 to 6 million population in new census, so its going to be challenge in supreme court, without proper census in karachi , i dont see any elections in near future.

yesterday the senators from karachi raised the issue in senate assembly, and if they dont act on it, thn supreme court will give the order for new census in karachi. 

It was a SC order to conduct local body elections and census in pakistan, becoz Nawaz sharif wasnt interested to do anything. he just wanted to sit on the Throne like MAD KING. 

sorry bro .. democracy doesnt work for pakistan :p:

so why bother abt sensus

Nothing new. Census in Pakistan depends on what numbers the party or military in power want to show you. The exercise of actually getting data from citizens is just a futile expense.

Closer home, we have our own "manipulation" too. Its just that our manipulation doesn't actually alter data but our Governments believe in withholding data that they have captured in a census. UPA-2 did not release the religion data captured in the 2011 census and finally Modi government had to release this after it came to power. UPA with their minority appeasement policies did not want Indians to know that Hindus had declined as a percentage of the population and were now below the psychological 80% mark. At the same time, Muslims had increased as a percentage of the population and had become a very "significant" minority in a number of states like Assam, West Bengal and Kerala.

Even Vajpayee government had not released religion data in 2001 and then UPA-1 released this after they came to power. Probably Vajpayee was pressurized by allies (probably under pressure from Mamata Bannerjee who was an ally then or National Conference or some other allies). It seems that they did not want the "extreme right" within the BJP or BJP support organizations to make him enact some extreme policies to control minority population growth.

18 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior said:

Can't just blame it all on one person.   Oh, Sharif is bad.  Or Zardari is bad.  This level of fraud requires so many people to commit illegal acts.  Its a systemic problem.  Can't be just blamed on one person.  

Also, Isn't Karachi one of the biggest cities in Pakistan?  Why are they being targeted like this?  What is the reason? 

And if such a big city and a big population can be shamelessly discriminated against, you can only imagine the level of exploitation that smaller towns, rural areas and other minorities have to deal with.   

My Pakistani friend was telling me that large numbers of Pakistanis openly boycott businesses and brands that are owned by Ahmedis or Shias, for example.   

Edited by sandeep

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Can't just blame it all on one person.   Oh, Sharif is bad.  Or Zardari is bad.  This level of fraud requires so many people to commit illegal acts.  Its a systemic problem.  Can't be just blamed on one person.  

Its simple. If the head of the any Institution/department is corrupt/criminal thn obviously he will choose his "favourite" people in system to do his dirty job.