Identify four players for middle order

Vk1

Leaving aside KL Rahul who is probably an automatic choice for 2019, who else should the selectors consider. Pandey Kedar don't seem to have the game to become permanent choices...Checking domestic players I can only think of Shreyas Iyer, Pant. Who else is scoring loads of runs or playing impactful innings ???

Jadhav has done pretty well. Not spectacular, but well. Good thing about Jadhav is that even if he gets small scores, he gets them at a good strike rate, so when he gets out, he hasn't slowed the scoring down.

Pandey is a bit topsy turvy. He looks sublime away from India, but struggles mightily at home, which is very strange.

I think both should still be persisted with. We should also bring in Krunal to create some competition for the spots. Iyer and Pant are more top order batsmen. Iyer at 3 and Pant opening.

For batting position 4- give pandey n Rahul good amount of chances before giving up on them, even yuvi, rohit were given a lot of chances . 

If they dnt work out 

4- Iyer, Nair, Hooda , Shankar, Pant

5- Dhoni (till others get consistent he isnt the biggest problem)

6. Krunal, shankar, Jadhav

Sarfraz , Pant, Nitish Rana (only if shankar gets settled at 4 or we get a batting all rounder who can be the 6th bowler)

Jadhav has a good sr sure but as I said he won't do jack against quality bowling.... he is a bad investment given his age as well.

no place for both Rahane and Pandey in the same X1.... personally prefer Pandey as when he is confident and more secure he is a very good finisher.

14 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Jadhav deserves more chances

Krunal should be brought in and given some games

I always felt that  Rahul is a better option at 4 than Pandey .... as he can hit the big shots and handle quality bowling too.

Iyer, Pant and Shankar should be tried by rotation against weaker teams

I think Rahul n pandey deserve the whole home LOI season , if they keep failing obv team will keep rotating as ultimately its about winning. 

But the series against SL , we shud make sure that both get all the games and someone like Kohli is rested . Also both shud play every upcoming  T20 game. May be a safe place for few games might take some pressure of them  

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Jadhav has a good sr sure but as I said he won't do jack against quality bowling.... he is a bad investment given his age as well.

no place for both Rahane and Pandey in the same X1.... personally prefer Pandey as when he is confident and more secure he is a very good finisher.

Not sure about Krunals n shankar fitness but till the time he doesnt get fit jadhav has those chances 

1 hour ago, Texan said:

Jadhav has done pretty well. Not spectacular, but well. Good thing about Jadhav is that even if he gets small scores, he gets them at a good strike rate, so when he gets out, he hasn't slowed the scoring down.

Pandey is a bit topsy turvy. He looks sublime away from India, but struggles mightily at home, which is very strange.

I think both should still be persisted with. We should also bring in Krunal to create some competition for the spots. Iyer and Pant are more top order batsmen. Iyer at 3 and Pant opening.

That's because Pandey has played a lot of away A tours and is accustomed to the conditions. Infact, him doing well in Australia was no surprise as he has toured there many times. 

I hope he doesn't become another Hahane...good overseas but bad domestic. Still will be better than Hahane will ever be in short format. I wish he was playing tests too. 

Edited by WC2011INDIA

If we get rid of Pandey and Rahul.

Nitish Rana and Pant are both good options for #4, IMO. 

I would rather see Iyer as an opener. 

If Rahul doesn't work out at the #4 spot, it's also worth trying him as an opener, where he performs well in the IPL. 

After this next WC 2019, we may have to move on from Rohit and Dhawan, as they will be on the older side by the WC 2023, so some younger options like Rahul and Iyer shouldn't be pigeonholed into the #4 slot just yet. They can be capable replacements for Rohit/Dhawan. 

1 minute ago, Pollack said:

4-------Rahul, V Shankar, N Rana, Pandeyji

5-------- Jadhav, Krunal

6-------- Dhoni/Pandya

7--------- Pandya/Dhoni

Batting Dhoni at 6-7 in the modern LOI game is a crime and offense. Either he bats at 4 or max 5 or we change our strategy of stacking our 1-5/1-6 with some crazy big hitters so that if they all fail Dhoni can come in and "consolidate"

ODI cricket is already a dying format and the only best part about it is the slog overs and you want to kill that by batting Dhoni at 6-7 :nono:

1 minute ago, maniac said:

You mean certain weakness against

spin on a dry track or against short pitch when the Speed is anything over 130ks or weakness on green tracks or against genuine pace or in foreign conditions.

yeah apart from that he is all set

Yes, still played 220+ ODIs with 35 avg and good strike rate. 

Played many match winning knocks too.

ODIs all around are mostly played on flat wickets and on his day he can win matches like he has done previously.