Can Washington Sundar be our version of Moeen Ali in LOIs?

ShebbySB

We need a 6th bowling option in LOIs specially in ODIs.Bumrah,BK,Chahal and Kuldeep are doing a good job.Hardik is a

capable all-rounder but there will be a bad day for a bowler or him and we don't have anyone to cover that up.That's why

having a 6th bowling option is imp.A batting allrounder who can hit the ball and can give you at least 6-7 decent overs.

Kedar has done well so far but considering him as the 6th option is a joke.Sundar or Krunal can do that job at 6.

First XI: Dhawan,Rohit,Kohli(c),Manish,Dhoni(Wk),Sundar/Krunal,Hardik,BK,Kuldeep,Bumrah,Chahal.

Reserves: Rahul/Rahane,Kedar,Axar,Shami.

Balance of this steam will be immense.Hope Sundar or Krunal find their feet at intl cricket soon.That'll make the balance of

the team even better.

Edited by ShebbySB

I sense greatness in Washington. IMO the only player better than him from India at the age of 17 was GOATdulkar. I really wish the selectors throw him into the deep end like they did with Maestro. But who am I kidding, they don't trust Pant, Sanju and Iyer....is 17 saal ke bacchhe ko kahaan khilayenge? 

43 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I sense greatness in Washington. IMO the only player better than him from India at the age of 17 was GOATdulkar. I really wish the selectors throw him into the deep end like they did with Maestro. But who am I kidding, they don't trust Pant, Sanju and Iyer....is 17 saal ke bacchhe ko kahaan khilayenge? 

Prithvi Shaw is ahead I believe.

12 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Good for Indian cricket if that is true. We have so much of talent, we just don't groom them as well as the Aussies, Poms and Saffers. I have seen this across sports: football, cricket, tennis, chess  etc we are so good in the U-17 and U-19 levels but somehow that doesn't translate into world class senior players. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

I sense greatness in Washington. IMO the only player better than him from India at the age of 17 was GOATdulkar.

42 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Don't know about comparisons but 17 year old fast-bowler,Nagarkoti , is doing really well playing with big boys too .....and touching 90 mph.

Shaw, Nagarkoti and Sundar .... all good prospects at 17

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Really ? Personally seen Washington looks decent but this good ?

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Pant should definitely make it to the international team and should be given a good consistent run. Problem is that Kohli generally doesn't trust youngsters. Even Kuldeep was kind of thrust into the team by Kumble and Rahane. 

Bringing Sundar into the ODI or Test team is way too premature IMO. I don't mind us trying such options in T20s. 

6 hours ago, Texan said:

Pant should definitely make it to the international team and should be given a good consistent run. Problem is that Kohli generally doesn't trust youngsters. Even Kuldeep was kind of thrust into the team by Kumble and Rahane. 

Bringing Sundar into the ODI or Test team is way too premature IMO. I don't mind us trying such options in T20s. 

For T20's he should be a sure shot selection

I don't see him making to the team tbh, and moeen ali is no benchmark for a spin bowling all rounder, Ravi Ashwin is still the best off spinning all rounder in the world and he's being benched for the likes of KD Yadav & Chahal, Washington sunder will only be in the mix if he can match the hitting ability of H Pandya, else I see no chance for him in the ODI set up. As far as test cricket is concerned he doesn't have the variations in his bowling to succeed at that level. So to sum it up, to make it the ODI team he will have to improve his batting and for Test he will have to work on his bowling. On a light note, he reminds me of Russell Arnold allot, both with the bat and ball.

17 hours ago, flamy said:

Why TF are you even aspiring some Indian player to be like Moeen Ali? :wall:

I don't want him to be Moeen Ali....he's a batting allrounder.Both are left hand batsmen with flair and offspin bowlers.I'm sure Sundar can be lot better when he's fully developed.The traits are similar and he's a good option for that spot we need...6th bowler in LOI setup who bats at 6.

3 hours ago, Sean Bradley said:

I don't see him making to the team tbh, and moeen ali is no benchmark for a spin bowling all rounder, Ravi Ashwin is still the best off spinning all rounder in the world and he's being benched for the likes of KD Yadav & Chahal, Washington sunder will only be in the mix if he can match the hitting ability of H Pandya, else I see no chance for him in the ODI set up. As far as test cricket is concerned he doesn't have the variations in his bowling to succeed at that level. So to sum it up, to make it the ODI team he will have to improve his batting and for Test he will have to work on his bowling. On a light note, he reminds me of Russell Arnold allot, both with the bat and ball.

Ashwin is the best spin bowling allrounder in tests by far.Not in LOIs.His batting style is not suited to that where u need hitting ability.Sundar can do that job.Hardik and one of Krunal/Sundar can be our regular 5th and 6th bowling options with serious hitting ability with the bat.

20 minutes ago, ShebbySB said:

Ashwin is the best spin bowling allrounder in tests by far.Not in LOIs.His batting style is not suited to that where u need hitting ability.Sundar can do that job.Hardik and one of Krunal/Sundar can be our regular 5th and 6th bowling options with serious hitting ability with the bat.

Sure if he can be a hard hitting lower order batsman and give 5 to 10 overs every match, then maybe yes, else I don't see him as an option, especially with the likes of K Pandya waiting in the wings, and Axar Patel & Ravindra Jadeja battling for that spot of a spin bowling all rounder already.