The no.4 conundrum

SK_IH

No.4 batsman for India in ODIs?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. No.4 batsman for India in ODIs?

No.4 is a pivotal role in ODI lineup,sort of a mid runner in a relay race who takes the baton from the top 3 and passes the baton to so called finishers(i hate this term) to finish the game.In some ways no.4 has to be a player with a finisher mentality himself but he has to be well versed in playing dual role of consolidating  and finishing.

Yuvi played the role of no.4 really well for half decade circa 2005-2011 but post that no number 4 has been able to establish himself.Though Pandya batted at no.4 in last 2 ODIs but in the current set up there are lots of players who are vying for that no.4 slot:

• Hardik Pandya : He has done a great job in last 2 odis. In the modern ODI setup he seems an ideal no.4 to me as he has shown the ability to take singles according to situation and sixes against spinners are never far away.That he isnt a slogger has been on display in the last 6 months or so and to me he has certainly fortified his credentials to be a regular no.4.But I believe if he is to be the regular no.4,there has to be inclusion of one more more power player in the lineup.

• Manish Pandey : His demotion in the last 2 odis must have given him signals that the team management has not been impressed with him.But Pandey to me is someone who needs to time to build up his innings and I dont think he is someone who can be very successful in lower order.He plays all his cricket for KKR at top order and thats where he has been successful as well.So, he is another one who at the moment is playing at a position where he is being disadvantaged and he has himself to blame for that as he failed continuously against NZ last year and then in the 1st ODIs this series.But personally I believe he is someone who needs to be backed,that innings at Sydney always come to mind where he played an ideal innings for a big chase.

• Jadhav : Very good player,always likes to aggressive ,sometimes unnecessarily aggressive.What I observed even yesterday about him,he has these pet shots which he plays whether its cut or sweep.I was very disappointed the way he played against Zampa , he got into bad positions and was premeditating too much.Not one of the top contenders for me for sure.

• Dhoni: The favorite of many on this forum.He is someone who in many fans thinking is the ideal no.4 at the present with the way he bats these days.The way he takes his own sweet time before getting into groove.Somehow I believe he is good at the position he has scored runs at no.5  recently ,though I was hoping he is sent earlier than when he came in because I wanted to see how he reacts to the situation,his modus operandi etc.There were many who believed he would have taken RRR quite up and made the situation even more difficult.Sadly,even though  am his fan I agree with the said notion,because we can only presume what he would have done and too much tuk tuking is exactly what he has done in recent past when there has been  a huge target to chase.But even if he is given a chance at no.4 ,its not a bad option to try but he needs to be tested in situation like there was one yesterday.

• KL Rahul: Only few bright minds in the team management think Rahul can be a no.4/middle order option,.I ll only hope,this guy's career is not ruined in the process.

• Then ,we can throw in a curve ball in Krunal Pandya: I truly believe this guy is a very good batsman,who can play according to situation,street smart and also has the ability to play big shots when needed.Last year I believe he was playing at no.3 for Baroda,which clearly shows he is primarily batsman,who has the ability to build up an innings.

The batting order should be set, keeping in mind that when the situation of 60 runs of 36 balls comes,there should be a player left who is adept at taking side home from that situation.Exhausting all players capable of playing at good pace is also not a bright idea.

Edited by SK_IH

I think the time has come for kohli to move to no. 4.

Again Rahul can bat at no.3.  

Kohli will be able to play according to the demand of the game much better than others.  On the other hand Rahul is a solid player who can handle pace pretty well since he is opening in test and a natural opener.  Rahul can easily maintain the strike rate around 100.  Dhawan and Rohit will open of course.

1 hour ago, tweaker said:

Dhoni

As we know Dhoni has lost his hitting abilities,it is best to use him at no 4.

He will hold the 1 side up & Kohli, Pandya, Pandey , Jadhav can play around him.

Pandya should be played at no 6/7 position as he has the ability to use the long handle well.

Kohli at 3 and dhoni at 4. It will hurt our momentum. You need someone like Pandya at 4 who can take risk and keep the momentum. Dhoni only works when you have a collapse and he can stick around but even then he needs another aggressive partner like it happened in the first game.

KL Rahul

He can hit the big sixes with ease ..... we don't have anyone other than Pandya who can do that in the middle-order ..... and this ability is needed in high scoring matches.

He can play and hit genuine pacers.

He can play spinners after getting set

His potential ceiling is higher than the other options.

Just needs to improve his strike rotation.

Edited by express bowling
43 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Has to be KL for me, just give him a long rope rather wasting it on rahane 

Dhoni shud nt bat anywere apart from 5 

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

KL Rahul

He can hit the big sixes with ease ..... we don't have anyone other than Pandya who can do that in the middle-order ..... and this ability is needed in high scoring matches.

He can play and hit genuine pacers.

He can play spinners after getting set

His potential ceiling is higher than the other option.

Just needs to improve his strike rotation.

if that was the case or if Kohli was serious about making him a middle order option,he would have given him the preference.The way he is being treated is very unfair

2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

if that was the case or if Kohli was serious about making him a middle order option,he would have given him the preference.The way he is being treated is very unfair

Look he failed in SL, pandey scored runs and had made that brilliant 100 in aus . Also pandey was among CT squad before getting injured

Pandey was ahead, Kohli backed rahul n he failed so naturaly it wud have been unfair to pandey

But looking at other side the chances given to rahul was less so he deserves a fair amount of chances . 

He is one the best player, doubt who n how many are better then him

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Look he failed in SL, pandey scored runs and had made that brilliant 100 in aus . Also pandey was among CT squad before getting injured

Pandey was ahead, Kohli backed rahul n he failed so naturaly it wud have been unfair to pandey

But looking at other side the chances given to rahul was less so he deserves a fair amount of chances . 

He is one the best player, doubt who n how many are better then him

but now i feel how pandey is being pushed down the order,its unfair on him as well, he deserves a longer run at 4 if he is getting preference

one way or another,there is no consistency in whats going on

The one thing I'm happy about is that the team management has finally, albeit belatedly, become cognizant of the fact that we need high SR players at number 4,5,6 & 7, hence why the Pandya promotion (plus his good form). 

3 hours ago, tweaker said:

Dhoni

As we know Dhoni has lost his hitting abilities,it is best to use him at no 4.

He will hold the 1 side up & Kohli, Pandya, Pandey , Jadhav can play around him.

Pandya should be played at no 6/7 position as he has the ability to use the long handle well.

This is probably the best solution atm. MS is done as an elite-level match finisher but he can still add value as a consolidator. He still has the resilience but lacks the explosiveness. Number 4 should be his position followed by Pandey, Jadhav and Pandya. Pandya can be promoted as and when needed.

4 hours ago, SK_IH said:

but now i feel how pandey is being pushed down the order,its unfair on him as well, he deserves a longer run at 4 if he is getting preference

one way or another,there is no consistency in whats going on

Problem is we cannot have both Kohli and Panday at 3-4 or even Dhoni at 4.  They are all similar type of batsmen.  There is a reason they are sending Pandya at 4, so, up the momentum in middle overs when you only have 4 fielders outside the circle.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Problem is we cannot have both Kohli and Panday at 3-4 or even Dhoni at 4.  They are all similar type of batsmen.  There is a reason they are sending Pandya at 4, so, up the momentum in middle overs when you only have 4 fielders outside the circle.

i like pandya at 4 ,no problem with that.but i would like to see another player capable of hitting sixes in the lower order  

1 minute ago, Tibarn said:

Pandya looks somewhat iffy against fast bowling. He smashes the spinners but seems to get a little bogged down when the pacers are there. 

Out of the middle order, he looks the most assured. Yeah he doesnt decimate the fast bowlers as he does the spinners. But he is capable and the best of the bunch to see out and take singles and twos against fast bowlers in the middle overs. Jadhav was all at sea against Cummins. And less said about Dhoni the better.