Iyer, Pant to lead IND A in New Zealand A one-dayers

Mosher

India A squad for first three one-dayers: Prithvi Shaw, Mayank Agarwal, Shreyas Iyer (c), Deepak Hooda, Shubman Gill, Shreevats Goswami (wk), Shahbaz Nadeem, Karn Sharma, Vijay Shankar, Shardul Thakur, Siddarth Kaul, Mohammed Siraj, Basil Thampi

For the last two one-dayers: AR Easwaran, Prashant Chopra, Ankit Bawne, Shubman Gill, Baba Aparajith, Rishabh Pant (c & wk), Shahbaz Nadeem, Karn Sharma, Vijay Shankar, Shardul Thakur, Siddarth Kaul, Mohammed Siraj, Basil Thampi

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Why is Pant missing 3 of the 5 ODIs  ?   

And why is Sreevats playing  ?

And straightaway captain in remaining two. So it doesnt make sense why he isnt playing the first three. Is he injured? Otherwise conspiracy theory of giving Pant as less chance as possible for few years seems true. The only way Pant can force his way through is performing terrifically in chances he get to the point he cannot be ignored. Tough task for him. :sad:

37 minutes ago, Pollack said:

And straightaway captain in remaining two. So it doesnt make sense why he isnt playing the first three. Is he injured? Otherwise conspiracy theory of giving Pant as less chance as possible for few years seems true. The only way Pant can force his way through is performing terrifically in chances he get to the point he cannot be ignored. Tough task for him. :sad:

Whole batting lineup is different in both games. 

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Why is Pant missing 3 of the 5 ODIs  ?   

And why is Sreevats playing  ?

This is a very strange selection. If you are making someone as captain of A side , then it is assumed those guys are at the top your next bets for senior side and such guys should be given as many chances as possible .

By that logic both Iyer & Pant should have been in the sqaud for all 5 games as well as  in BP X1. 

Look at NZ side , they have identified Young as a senior side prospect and trying to give special treatment of playing in sub continent. 

With this selection i am not sure Selectors are indicating who are their top 3 bets among juniors.

Batsman cannot be sure of making it big if they are given 2 chances . One mistake , 1 good ball  or having very few overs to bat where you slog blindly and then you will be termed as a failure . And many here will  cry ..  Oh he did not use his chances. 

I think some how i am getting a jittery feeling ..  Pant will not given enough chances continuously and old duds will be selected in 15 along with MSD as 2nd keeper. T20 selection alludes to that . This will go on till 19.

Something inside me tells this is something to do with personal bias of RAT . Protect MSD till 19 and may be also does not like attitude of Pant. Both Pant & Iyer have some attitude ( I think those who are very confident of their game do show it ). 

I think Iyer has suffered a bit due to that . Even Hardik would have suffered , but being a pace allrounder he was at a better position.

I strongly believe you need to give a guy 6-8 straight chances at same position and the guy should be told about this upfront and then judge him.

They are already making this mistake with KL & Pandey .

Both Iyer & Pant should have played all 5 one day matches.

The one bright selection is Gill.  Many veterans/coaches are very impressed by him it seems  -  WV Ramn , Amol etc.