Thommo - how quick was he?'

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

Ball by ball video of Jeff Thomson bowling in a test match in 1975

1975 was said to be a quick year for Thomson ... when he terrorized the West Indies and defeated them.

Wicket-keeper standing at standard distance

Camera behind the bowler .... what we are used to watching on TV.

Does not look too quick in this video.

looks quick in this.

Video of Michael Holding bowling in a test match in 1980 

He was aged 26 then and at his peak

Wicket-keeper standing at standard distance ....  closer than Shoaib  or Lee

Camera behind the bowler while Holding is bowling  .... what we are used to watching on TV.

Edited by express bowling

Nice videos and some really interesting and valuable debate is going on here, i think its difficult to judge the pace of the ball from videos with no speed gun as any batsmen with zero technique will make even binny look like Brett Lee , we can only guess it, holding, garner,Thompson are looking quick around 140kph to 145+kph but certainly not 150+kph or 160kph which was hyped.

46 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

^^

Are you really trying to guage distance of wicketkeeper from a 2d projection of a 3d image from single camera angle ? Sorry, but thats utter nonsense. You have no idea how close/far the wicketkeeper is standing relative to the length of the pitch, to the batsman.

I bet in the 60' and 70's, Glenn Mcgrath would be called super duper express. Even Walsh. Its all hype.

Some amazing videos and great debate/content here! Good stuff man! We need to have more of such posts on this forum :)

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

I bet in the 60' and 70's, Glenn Mcgrath would be called super duper express. Even Walsh. Its all hype.

Some amazing videos and great debate/content here! Good stuff man! We need to have more of such posts on this forum :)

Your bet is as good as anyone else's. 

I'd take expert opinion over your extrapolation of speed from trying to analyze a 2d image projection of a 3d object to gauge distance.

There are fewer ridiculous ideas in cricket than that, but not many.

7 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

yes ,one can judge that but you cant judge wk's position from these videos

@Malcolm Merlyn 

Ofcourse one can- just ask all who faced him. Holding was a remarkable athlete- he came very close to making the cut for Jamaican 400m relay team. That automatically makes him one of the best runners in the world and easily, the Usain Bolt of cricket bowlers. Given how easy and pure his action was, its quite easy to see why Holding could maintain his effortless pace for so long. Not to mention, practically every batsman who's faced him, rate him as the consistently fastest guy, every spell of the way.Sure, Lillee, Thommo and maybe even Marshall at his peak were faster, in terms of their fastest balls/spells. Not by much, i may say. Holding was genuine fast. But if it was near tea on 2nd straight day of bowling and all bowlers are at 25+ overs bowled, your best bet, for the fastest spell out there, would be Holding. 

Its precisely because holding was almost as much better than Lillee or Kapil or Imran at the running part, than Imran or Kapil are to us, in terms of running.

Edited by Muloghonto
22 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

I'd take expert opinion over your extrapolation of speed from trying to analyze a 2d image projection of a 3d object to gauge distance.

they are not better expert than us.

21 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

@Malcolm Merlyn 

Ofcourse one can- just ask all who faced him. Holding was a remarkable athlete- he came very close to making the cut for Jamaican 400m relay team. That automatically makes him one of the best runners in the world and easily, the Usain Bolt of cricket bowlers. Given how easy and pure his action was, its quite easy to see why Holding could maintain his effortless pace for so long. Not to mention, practically every batsman who's faced him, rate him as the consistently fastest guy, every spell of the way.Sure, Lillee, Thommo and maybe even Marshall at his peak were faster, in terms of their fastest balls/spells. Not by much, i may say. Holding was genuine fast. But if it was near tea on 2nd straight day of bowling and all bowlers are at 25+ overs bowled, your best bet, for the fastest spell out there, would be Holding. 

Its precisely because holding was almost as much better than Lillee or Kapil or Imran at the running part, than Imran or Kapil are to us, in terms of running.

Running has nothing to do with bowling speeds. NO runner can run whole day at the same.  Same way no one can same pace whole day. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

as quick as Shami or Umesh Yadav or Steyn.

Viv Richards said the same during our WI tour 2016.

Said that Shami was very similar to Marshall in terms of pace and height.

Also, said that Garner was not an out-and-out fast bowler but depended on steep bounce.

One of the few past cricketers who does not try to glorify his era too much.

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

Dude, what does that even mean???

" a 2d image projection of a 3d object to gauge distance." You seem to be obsessed with this point. Did you just learn it?

I can accept that its tough to gauge the speed of ball merely by looking at a video, but your logic about us judging the distance of the keeper is hilarious. That can be gauged very easily. You can also just try to judge the boundary behind the wicketkeeper, as a matter of fact. Which gives indication of the distance and speed.