Mindset Of Indian Fast Bowlers Changing

Ian Pont

Bengaluru, October 6: Ian Pont has good amount of success as a bowling coach. The Englishman has been imparting lessons on how to increase pace combined with accuracy over the last three years through Ultimate Pace Foundation (UPF).

Pont, who coached international teams like Bangladesh and associated with top-of-the-shelf pacers like Dale Steyn, will conduct clinics across India in cities like Gurgaon and Vadodara to help aspiring Indian quicks gain in experience and skill ahead of sterner tests.

Pont took some time off from his hectic schedule to talk to Mykhel.com about pace bowling, UPF, contemporary quick men among others.

Excerpts:

UPF....how's it coming along over the last three years?

I started the UPF in Bengaluru in January 2014. Since then we have had 14 camps and have others planned. It's tough without a sponsor but we have spread the word to Delhi, Pune, Vadodara and Hyderabad.

The coaching is based on my Four Tent Pegs developed form 20 years of research and how technical fast bowling shares many crossovers with javelin and baseball pitching - both sports which I have taken part in.

Our website www.ultimatepacefoundation.com has had more than 220,000 visits in this time. Unlike other well-funded places like MRF Pace Foundation, UPF works exclusively on developing speed and teaching bowlers how to bowl quicker and more accurately.

You are a regular to India in this period, have you noticed any change in the approach of young Indian bowlers?

Indian bowlers bowl far too much in my view. Often they bowl for hours on end and get very little in return. It becomes very hard to develop talent without technical input and interaction.

When I first started coaching in India, players were hesitant to respond and really just sat there. But now, their mindset towards learning fast bowling as changed. I believe that you should coach others as you wish to be coached yourself.

In the present Indian set up, pacers get as much significance as spinners. Glad to see this cultural shift within cricket?

It is great to note that India is focusing less on spin to win matches. It is terrific to see quicks doing well. But the challenge of any great quick is to take wickets overseas and win Tests in foreign conditions.

The second thing is producing bowlers regularly bowling 150 kph to challenge the best batting techniques. We have yet to witness either yet, so India has work to do in this respect. As I said there are some good signs and it would be good to see the world's fastest coming out of India soon.

https://www.mykhel.com/cricket/mindset-of-indian-fast-bowlers-is-changing-ian-pont-070712.html

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

Who exactly has Ian pont coached and made him good fast bowler.

Ian Pont has coached and helped fast bowling greats like Dale Steyn and Shoaib Akhtar, both of them have taken Ian's name as a good coach who helped them improve.  

Shoaib Akhtar even mentioned about Ian Pont coaching him in his autobiography "Controversially Yours". 

1 minute ago, Ironhide said:

Ian Pont has coached and helped fast bowling greats like Dale Steyn and Shoaib Akhtar, both of them have taken Ian's name as a good coach who helped them improve.  

Shoaib Akhtar even mentioned about Ian Pont coaching him in his autobiography "Controversially Yours". 

If he was good why has ECB or counties not hire him? Do you know how much he has helped and if he had helped both of them why he was not made bowling coach of either team.Both Steyn and Akthar led their attacks and their input would have certainly taken.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Who exactly has Ian pont coached and made him good fast bowler.

Hope this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Pont

I know you can't please everyone, but I don't see many overseas coaches paying their own way to coach in India and try to help young talent. Whatever you think of me (and you don't know me at all) when you spend your time working as an Independent coach behind the scenes that players come to privately, rather than spending months away from family warming up bowlers with a team, you really have to know your stuff. 

It is not possible to do much technical work with a team environment at International level. Yes, it's great profile for the fans to know, but it's better suited to those who aren't going to actually 'coach' much. Few high level coaches actually coach. That is the opposite of me. Having worked at those levels my input is better suited to developing talent, which is why I'm trying to help Indian youngsters.

Haters will always hate. i can't help that. But at least i can try to make a difference.

4 hours ago, Vilander said:

Why dosent MRF pace foundation hire Ian Pont if he is available, is it a no way street ?, just wondering. May be chennai is not the best location to teach pace...but yeah would be nice get some youngsters in along with the hopefuls.

Glenn McGrath is already working there ? Isn't he ?

1 hour ago, Ian Pont said:

They employ Glenn McGrath to coach. 

Good to see your thread. I am a bowler myself who is part of leagues in Washington DC area. What do you feel is the best best and top most exercise which remains currently and  is performed by bowlers around the world. I know each has their own way of dealing things. But I feel squats remains the pinnacle of all. Squating has been used the most by bowlers to keep their legs and hamstring strong. Strong and healthy legs is extremely important for a fast bowler. Is that is what you recommend your bowlers the most too? 

I have read points book and he was ahead of his time, same thing with Lilee who after surgery got into biomechanical and science side of the art.

Most important for bowlers to have a strong coreand alignment at the crease, bowling actions n dynamics are different so depends upon this things as well.

Flexibility, core strength, not too much muscles as body must be flexible to a degree , swimming, running, bowling from different crease lengths, squats, chopping wood kinda motion are things I have understood and have heard from others.

3 hours ago, Ian Pont said:

They employ Glenn McGrath to coach. 

Is he in a 5 days a week kinda gig. May be may be not, but I am sure you would have explored all options. But it won't be too bad to see Ian pont there training some of the India hopefuls with knowledge in application of bio mechanics.l, if it happens best of luck :)

8 hours ago, MCcricket said:

I have read points book and he was ahead of his time, same thing with Lilee who after surgery got into biomechanical and science side of the art.

Most important for bowlers to have a strong coreand alignment at the crease, bowling actions n dynamics are different so depends upon this things as well.

Flexibility, core strength, not too much muscles as body must be flexible to a degree , swimming, running, bowling from different crease lengths, squats, chopping wood kinda motion are things I have understood and have heard from others.

8 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Good to see your thread. I am a bowler myself who is part of leagues in Washington DC area. What do you feel is the best best and top most exercise which remains currently and  is performed by bowlers around the world. I know each has their own way of dealing things. But I feel squats remains the pinnacle of all. Squating has been used the most by bowlers to keep their legs and hamstring strong. Strong and healthy legs is extremely important for a fast bowler. Is that is what you recommend your bowlers the most too? 

It is worth remembering that strength doesn't always equal POWER and it is power we want to help work alongside pace.

Muscles can make you STRONG but slower. If you think of a car with a small engine, but with a turbo and efficiently tuned, it can be much faster than a bigger engine. It is more important therefore to be effective in PLYOMETRICS (running, bounding, jumping) and being able to use the hips quickly. The key for speed is getting into the correct positions to bowl fast so the kinetic chain doesn't break within the action.

UPF is launching a brand new site in a month all about fast bowling. And from January, we cover the CORRECT training to ensure the bowling action is supported to create speed.

Size isn't important - SPEED is. 

Edited by Ian Pont
17 hours ago, Ian Pont said:

Hope this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Pont

I know you can't please everyone, but I don't see many overseas coaches paying their own way to coach in India and try to help young talent. Whatever you think of me (and you don't know me at all) when you spend your time working as an Independent coach behind the scenes that players come to privately, rather than spending months away from family warming up bowlers with a team, you really have to know your stuff. 

It is not possible to do much technical work with a team environment at International level. Yes, it's great profile for the fans to know, but it's better suited to those who aren't going to actually 'coach' much. Few high level coaches actually coach. That is the opposite of me. Having worked at those levels my input is better suited to developing talent, which is why I'm trying to help Indian youngsters.

Haters will always hate. i can't help that. But at least i can try to make a difference.

I am not hater nor I have any axe to grind. I gave my honest view when I saw about statement about mindset.