Knee injury could end Shoaib's World Cup dream

King

Knee injury could end Shoaib's World Cup dream AFP February 11, 2007 The aeroplane may not take off in the Caribbean ? Getty Images Shoaib Akhtar, Pakistan's premier fast bowler, fears that he could miss the World Cup after suffering a knee injury that may take three to four weeks to heal. Doctors have advised Akhtar to have scans to reveal the extent of the injury to the left knee, which was operated on, along with the right knee, in February last year. "I am devastated at the thought of missing the World Cup," Akhtar told AFP, just a month away from the start of the World Cup in the West Indies, which kicks off with Pakistan playing the hosts on March 13. "I was excited at the prospect of playing the World Cup. I want to help my team win the World Cup and I hope this injury is not worse and I am able to play some part in Pakistan's cup campaign." His selection in the squad was also subject to his clearing a doping test to be carried out on February 16. Akhtar tested positive for banned steroids in October last year. If scans reveal serious injury, then Akhtar will have to fly to Australia for an operation and it could rule him out of the World Cup. The latest injury scare to Akhtar compounds Pakistan's problems as they are already grappling with injury worries to key pacemen Umar Gul (ankle), Shabbir Ahmed (hamstring) and Mohammad Sami (back). To add to their problems, the International Cricket Council (ICC) turned down Pakistan's request for an extension to the February 13 deadline for naming their World Cup squad. Salim Altaf, the Pakistan Cricket Board's director of operations, said on Saturday that they had made a second request to the ICC as it would be difficult to name the squad without finding out the extent of the injuries. If the second request is also rejected, Pakistan would name their squad either on Monday or Tuesday, Altaf said. The 31-year-old Akhtar has been beset by injury. He was forced to return home from Pakistan's tour of South Africa after tearing his hamstring following his 4-36 on the first day of the second Test at Port Elizabeth last month. Akhtar missed the best part of last year due to injuries. He missed Pakistan's tour of Sri Lanka and the Test series in England. Akhtar only returned for the one-day series against England, starting in August last year, but two months later he and fellow paceman Mohammad Asif were called back from India after both tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone. Akhtar was banned for two years and Asif for one year on doping charges in November but a month later their bans were controversially overturned on appeal. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has filed an appeal against the overturning of the ban in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland, which is not expected to hear the case until April this year.

Re: Knee injury could end Shoaib's World Cup dream

They are f*cked without Shoaib. Now all the opposition have to do is see off Asif and knock runs off the rest...huge blow for Pakistan
U talk as if, opponents are in a hurry to pile on the runs. If Pak's latest batting performance is any evidence of things to come, teams can afford to see off all the 5 bowlers & still canter to a 10 wicket win, or simply declare after 25 overs when batting first :hic: <Mandatory Goat Mouth for the day> BTW, I still think Pak is one of the best ODI teams out there :hic: </Mandatory Goat Mouth for the day>
Guest dada_rocks

They are f*cked without Shoaib. Now all the opposition have to do is see off Asif and knock runs off the rest...huge blow for Pakistan
He is harmless in one day cricket those good length balls get tonked around.. check his stats

Re: Knee injury could end Shoaib's World Cup dream pakistan's bowling is the worst of the top 6 teams at the moment.... asif, naved, razzak, and afridi..... holy crap.... can we please play them instead of bangladesh in the prelims.... more chances of winning...

pakistan's bowling is the worst of the top 6 teams at the moment.... asif, naved, razzak, and afridi..... holy crap.... can we please play them instead of bangladesh in the prelims.... more chances of winning...
Don't forget about Gul and Kaneria :hmph: ....anyways i agree that Shoaib will be really missed. My bowling attack for the 1st ODI vs WI 1- Rana 2- Asif 3- Gul 4- kaneria 5- A Razzaq 6- Malik Rana's form and Gul's fitness will be vital but if Gul is also ruled out of the cup then we might be in a bit of trouble.

MP' date=' a very honest answer needed here. What are the chances of this Pakistan team making it to the semis and to the finals in your opinion?[/quote'] With Shoaib and Asif: Fair chance...as good as any team's chance except AUS. Without Shoaib: 50/50...Rana's form and Gul's fitness will be the key. Without Shoaib and Asif: Only an outside chance. Without Shoaib, Asif and Gul: Very Slim.