Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SecondSlip

Why is Dhoni still playing T20s for India?

Recommended Posts

I don't remember Dhoni ever winning a T20 match for India. If I'm not wrong, he doesn't have a man of the match award in this format either.  He has only played as a supporter for Kohli, Raina, Yuvraj etc. which any young batsman from the IPL could do as well. 

 

His strike rate rate is also in the low 120s, which means that he isn't a player that will take the game away from the opposition. So what is so special about him in this format that makes him an automatic selection? 

Share this post


Link to post

I can name 3 innings that he has played good but even in those matches he was the supporting actor.

 

2007 WC semifinal against Aus

2007 group stages against south Africa I think. That knock along with Rohit

2016 t20 against england.

 

I don't remember anything else that was useful. 

Share this post


Link to post

Most people including myself blame Rahane for that semifinal loss against windies but Dhoni too had an equal if not more share of the blame... He as a finisher had a strike rate less than Kohli on that highway pitch. He should have retired after that match. It's the brand endorsements value that he is still playing for.

Edited by Vk1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Laaloo said:

I can name 3 innings that he has played good but even in those matches he was the supporting actor.

 

2007 WC semifinal against Aus

2007 group stages against south Africa I think. That knock along with Rohit

2016 t20 against england.

 

I don't remember anything else that was useful. 

Just 3 innings in his whole T20 career in which 2 of those came exactly 10 years ago in 07'. 

 

How the F has he survived this long in our T20 setup :hysterical: 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Make Rohit Sharma the T20 captain :alberteinstein:

Yes! If there are three captains atleast some new players will get an op[portunity. There is no change in Kohlis thinking from CT. He is stuck in the mud for a long time now.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, velu said:

because we need someone to anchor the innings if things goes wrong :phehe:

 

Like a 13 off 16 when the top order failed?

Edited by bowl_out

Share this post


Link to post

No other team would give a 10 year long rope to a T20 cricketer who has a grand total of ONE T20 half century in his whole career and has a career strike rate of less than 125 when batting in the lower order below #5. Other teams have monsters such as Maxwell, Buttler, Miller, Russell etc. in their lower order whereas we have the great "Thala" who bats at a snails pace at a strike rate of 100 or less. :wall: 

Dhoni will only slog in the last over (If he survives that long :hysterical:) which will bring his overall strike rate in that innings to 120-125 which is mediocre for a lower order hitter. We have lost countless T20 games due to Dhoni trying to hit big only in the final over instead accelerating a bit earlier and carrying that momentum to the end.

Even Dhoni Bhakts will know that he has won less than 5 T20 matches for Team India in his whole career and does not deserve a place in the side in all fairness. My question is that how can someone as bad as this in T20 cricket still play for the national team, let alone for 10 years! :facepalm: 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

No other team would give a 10 year long rope to a T20 cricketer who has a grand total of ONE T20 half century in his whole career and has a career strike rate of less than 125 when batting in the lower order below #5. Other teams have monsters such as Maxwell, Buttler, Miller, Russell etc. in their lower order whereas we have the great "Thala" who bats at a snails pace at a strike rate of 100 or less. :wall: 

Dhoni will only slog in the last over (If he survives that long :hysterical:) which will bring his overall strike rate in that innings to 120-125 which is mediocre for a lower order hitter. We have lost countless T20 games due to Dhoni trying to hit big only in the final over instead accelerating a bit earlier and carrying that momentum to the end.

Even Dhoni Bhakts will know that he has won less than 5 T20 matches for Team India in his whole career and does not deserve a place in the side in all fairness. My question is that how can someone as bad as this in T20 cricket still play for the national team, let alone for 10 years! :facepalm: 

His Presence

Share this post


Link to post

To answer the question here,

 

Its a combination of simple economics and ego. On the economics side, Dhoni knows very well that the IPL money he makes is directly proportional to him being in the first choice Indian team. As a result, he will attempt to delay T20 retirement as long as sustainable. 

 

The second aspect is ego. He still believes that whatever little T20 skill he had when he was younger is still very much there. And he wants to prove that point. Sadly, in his personal attempt to prove that point, we are going to lose many matches and deny a younger player the chances that he needs at this level. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

1)Dhoni is good at stumpings pretty much how every batsman gets out in cricket.

2)He advices Virat with things like "if he hits a cover drive, put a fielder in the covers" "if he hits straight put fielders on long off,long on etc" and plenty such out of the box gems.

3)He encourages slip fielders by letting them take initiative while catching.

4)He encourages tailenders by "farming" strike

5)He tops yo yo tests

6)He doesn't show emotions

7)He "consolidates"

8)He "finishes"games where top order scores 90% of the runs given the rrr is less than 5 rpo(can't ignore this important facet)

9) Reads the game beautifully by ensuring a notout ...When Dhoni is estabilised at the crease the new batsman takes all the risks as Dhoni has to bat through the innings but when Dhoni is new at the crease the other batsman has to take risks because that batsman is well established :hail: @Austin 3:!6

10)He has amazing flexibility...look at those lunges...who doesn't love a man who can spread his legs like that.

 

Anything else I am missing?

11) You do not have a brother or a son who can run as fast as Dhoni. 

Share this post


Link to post

Selectors lack some balls period. Public opinion shouldn't matter, hey if it mattered that much Tendulkar and Sehwag would still have been playing maybe even Gavaskar and Kapil Dev. Selectors should be taking tough calls on guys who are well passed it. 

Share this post


Link to post

Kapil Dev was dropped in 1994 because his performances were down hill

 

It is 23 years since and we have not had anyone replace him.(Pandya has a long way to go before he can be spoken in the same vein as Kapil. We are excited only about the potential still)

 

but Indian cricket moved on and on its way unearthed some ATGs and match winners.

 

I don't get this fear that what if we drop Dhoni??? There is no alternative etc. pure bs

Share this post


Link to post

Tendulkar, Dravid etc weren't part of Indian team's T20 setup but still played IPL and had respectable numbers. Anil Kumble was retired from all cricket and still led his team to the finals of IPL in 2009. Dhoni should stop worrying about his image and just step aside from T20. It will actually be a good PR move for him and boost his brand value. 

Edited by nevada

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, maniac said:

Kapil Dev was dropped in 1994 because his performances were down hill

 

It is 23 years since and we have not had anyone replace him.(Pandya has a long way to go before he can be spoken in the same vein as Kapil. We are excited only about the potential still)

 

but Indian cricket moved on and on its way unearthed some ATGs and match winners.

 

I don't get this fear that what if we drop Dhoni??? There is no alternative etc. pure bs

MSK Prasad, our chief selector is as meek as a mouse. He couldn't even plain and simple state that Ashwin and Jadeja were dropped from LOI teams. He "sugar coated" it as them being rested. I hope he finally grows some balls and just drops Dhoni from the squad and calls it as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Texan said:

MSK Prasad, our chief selector is as meek as a mouse. He couldn't even plain and simple state that Ashwin and Jadeja were dropped from LOI teams. He "sugar coated" it as them being rested. I hope he finally grows some balls and just drops Dhoni from the squad and calls it as it is.

Based on how this selection committee has been working..The problem is with a spot opening up for Dhoni Will result in the recall of one of the following-Yuvraj,Gambhir,Raina,Uthappa or Parthiv Patel saying that we need to fill the void of experience with experience....we have Karthik and Nehra in our squad in 2017 ffs.

 

Then the Dhoni fans can rub it in saying see we told ya and we might ponder may be Dhoni wasn't that bad

 

This selection Committee sucks 

Share this post


Link to post

TBH I am not surprised why Dhoni can't never be dropped from T20

 

go check the official Indian cricket team Facebook page and check the likes and shares Dhoni gets and compare it to players like Kohli

 

Dhoni always get atleast 1and half times the likes and share than Kohli. This is when Dhoni is faking every match and Kohli is scoring and winning India matches right left and centre. 

 

Who in the world would have guts to drop Dhoni then. We all know what happened, when MSK Prasad made a statement on Dhoni not being a sure short on 2019 World Cup. Prasads effigies were burnt, and famous indian Facebook pages like Rajnjkant vs CID etc etc had gifs asking for MSK Prasads head. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, rahulrulezz said:

TBH I am not surprised why Dhoni can't never be dropped from T20

 

go check the official Indian cricket team Facebook page and check the likes and shares Dhoni gets and compare it to players like Kohli

 

Dhoni always get atleast 1and half times the likes and share than Kohli. This is when Dhoni is faking every match and Kohli is scoring and winning India matches right left and centre. 

 

Who in the world would have guts to drop Dhoni then. We all know what happened, when MSK Prasad made a statement on Dhoni not being a sure short on 2019 World Cup. Prasads effigies were burnt, and famous indian Facebook pages like Rajnjkant vs CID etc etc had gifs asking for MSK Prasads head. 

Poor msk prasad got rick rolled after MS showing him his aukat right away next series. He ended up saying some single leg story about ind vs pak in t20 WC:phehe:to please fans then people calmed down a bit. He shouldn't be talking about any player in general when he has a average of 11 and 14 in 2 formats as a player. What the hell did he even do to be a selector. :Giggity:

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

Yep so much support for our God kartick. He will debut next match. Dhoni ll be dropped don't worry. All they need is your kotha facts to realize. 

It is not about Karthick or Dhoni, it is about the best possible player on the team. I am the biggest fan of dhoni but there is a time for everything. Nobody loves Kohli more than I do but currently he is acting like an arrogant damn fool. I am not into hero worship.

 

Did I tell you once before that I am agnostic.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×