Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ankit_sharma03

Ashish Nehra to play his last international match on November 1 at Feroz Shah Kotla: Reports

Recommended Posts

Veteran speedster Ashish Nehra has decided to bid adieu to international cricket after the first Twenty20 match against New Zealand at his home ground, Feroz Shah Kotla on November 1. The 38-year-old was included in the India squad for the Australia series but was not given a chance in the first two T20I matches. According to a senior BCCI official privy to the development, the 38-year-old Nehra has intimated his decision to chief coach Ravi Shastri and skipper Virat Kohli.

With ICC not slotting any World T20 in 2018, Nehra apparently told the team management that it is only fair that performing juniors have a longer rope. It is understood that Nehra won't play even in the Indian Premier League's next season. Making his India debut back in 1999 under Mohammed Azharuddin, Nehra has so far played 17 Tests, 120 ODIs and 26 T20 Internationals for the country. He has picked 44 Test wickets, besides 157 ODI and 34 T20 scalps.

"Yes, Ashish has told both Ravi and Virat that he does not want to continue beyond November 1 when India plays New Zealand at the Feroz Shah Kotla. Obviously, there is some element of surprise. One thought that he would like to continue till the home season against Sri Lanka. But he feels, it's the right time to move on," the senior official told PTI on Wednesday.

Nehra was recently picked for the three-match T20 International series against Australia but everyone was surprised when he did not figure in the playing XI for the first two matches.

"Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah are form bowlers and Ashish felt that it's only fair in the interest of the team that they continue.

"Bhuvi has improved as a T20 bowler in leaps and bounds and Ashish said that the pair should continue. Had there not been a match at Kotla next month, Ashish would have retired after playing the third T20 International at Hyderabad on October 13," the official said.

 

 

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/ashish-nehra-set-to-retire-from-international-cricket-on-november-1-1761599

Share this post


Link to post

He should have played till the world cup as he is fit & he passed the yo yo test.He could have played with Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina,Harbhajan, Mishra in the world cup.

 

There are not any readymade left arm pacer in the domestic cricket.Virat ,Ravibhai should beg him to continue playing as long as he is enjoying his cricket & passing yo yo test

Share this post


Link to post

Ab zabardasti kotla mei khelega,one of lucky ones who is getting a chance to retire like this

Also in a indirect way calling out the chutiyapa of the selectors for selecting him

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, tweaker said:

He should have played till the world cup as he is fit & he passed the yo yo test.He could have played with Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina,Harbhajan, Mishra in the world cup.

 

There are not any readymade left arm pacer in the domestic cricket.Virat ,Ravibhai should beg him to continue playing as long as he is enjoying his cricket & passing yo yo test

Sarcasm is good, but not everytime. This is retirement. Lets respectfully retire him,  he has served Indian cricket well. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you Nehraji...Even though I am dead against giving a player a farewell match just for the heck of it,if it takes out one veteran out of the selection committee's radar,I am all up for it.

 

On Nehraji though,served us very well,had a good career but I still think he under achieved but overall based on our fast bowling history,will go down as a very good one.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, beetle said:

Did zak get a farewell match?

He deserved more than Nehra. Actually I feel sad that some of our heroes like Dravid, Sehwag, VVS Laxman and Zaheer did not get farewell matches. There were rumors that Dhoni didn't even pick phone call of Laxman when he was about to retire. 

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, maniac said:

So Gavaskar retires after WC,

 

Kapil,Zak,Sehwag are kind of dropped and then reflect on their career and retire, 

 

Kumble,Ganguly,Dravid,Laxman decide to retire on their own

 

SRT and the one and only Nehraji are the 2 legends who get a planned farewell sendoff :hail:

 

Where does Old Man Dhoni fit into this equation?

Can't see the gutless selectors ever dropping him despite however many games he fails to take to the last over.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, speedheat said:

Thank you nehraji, Good bye and best of luck in the future, although I never liked you, you defending 9 runs against mohin khan vs Pakistan in 2004 Samsung series was my favorite memory of you!!

What's there to dislike about this guy? For all his limitations, don't think anyone can complain about him not giving his 100%.

Share this post


Link to post

nehra performed well in 75 percent of matches when he played ....so he cannot be compared to say Kapil dev, zahir khan even DHONI as even today he is being picked on HIS SKIILLS..even today he is better than BUMRAH or BHUVI for 4 overs in T20..yes his fielding is pathetic but he can be asked to bowl all his 4 overs in the first spell and take 2 wickets for 16 runs..

 

he will pay in the third t20 and he will beat bhuvi or bumrah who ever plays or even both if they play..nehra has always surprised me with his skills and even pace that his old muscles can generate. 

 

bhuvi bumrah are rare bowlers but umesh and shammi are genuine fast bowlers like NEHRA..Nehra is ultra skilled now and i wanted to see him play all three t 20's as I find himself an artist fast bowler ..he should be later considered for coaching along with ZAK as i believe zak srinath nehra are the fast bowlers who genuinely were good when they played for india ..bharat arun seems to be getting along well with shastri but i am not sure how good he is though i have to admit he has produced results.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Vilander said:

Nice try for getting a game Nehraji.

 

 

i will not be surprised if nehra decides to get four wickets against new zealand in his four overs  and become the man of the match in that game.

 

i will bet that he will bowl well in that Match.

 

things that go very well for him-

he was a left arm fast bowler capable to bowl 144k even in his last t20 match- very rare capability as MUNAF patel bowled at 144k only in the first test match he was Picked and venkatest prasad never touched 137k too...he would have played much more than many pace bowlers , had he managed his fitness better.

he always knew how to get that little swing , swing at 137 to 144k pace and that also left arm is too hot to handle even for the best batsman and all teams know this and thats why they respect him and play him with respect even now.

he used his head quite a bit and i feel only ZAK used his brains more than Nehra and yep one trundler who succeeded in indian cricket called Manoj Prabhakar..he also used his brains quite a bit.

 

his negatives

Never knew how to Bat and did not bother to learn batting ever.

fileding was terrible.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2017 at 12:48 PM, maniac said:

So Gavaskar retires after WC,

 

Kapil,Zak,Sehwag are kind of dropped and then reflect on their career and retire, 

 

Kumble,Ganguly,Dravid,Laxman decide to retire on their own

 

SRT and the one and only Nehraji are the 2 legends who get a planned farewell sendoff :hail:

 

Gavaskar retired in style. Played one the best test knocks of his test career and then announced he was going to retire after the WC '87. Had a pretty decent WC as well. 

 

Unlike another legend who could have retired in style after the WC win, but dragged himself and the cricketing world for another 2+ years ruining his legacy in the process!! :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

i will not be surprised if nehra decides to get four wickets against new zealand in his four overs  and become the man of the match in that game.

 

i will bet that he will bowl well in that Match.

 

things that go very well for him-

he was a left arm fast bowler capable to bowl 144k even in his last t20 match- very rare capability as MUNAF patel bowled at 144k only in the first test match he was Picked and venkatest prasad never touched 137k too...he would have played much more than many pace bowlers , had he managed his fitness better.

he always knew how to get that little swing , swing at 137 to 144k pace and that also left arm is too hot to handle even for the best batsman and all teams know this and thats why they respect him and play him with respect even now.

he used his head quite a bit and i feel only ZAK used his brains more than Nehra and yep one trundler who succeeded in indian cricket called Manoj Prabhakar..he also used his brains quite a bit.

 

his negatives

Never knew how to Bat and did not bother to learn batting ever.

fileding was terrible.

 

 

 

 

And the teeth....who can forget his teeth it's there everywhere before him....;)..his Eng wc 2003 game was one for ages..

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Vilander said:

And the teeth....who can forget his teeth it's there everywhere before him....;)..his Eng wc 2003 game was one for ages..

If he is good as Usain Bolt,  he will win every race against Bolt with the teeth as it will give a split ms advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, dandaroy said:

Gavaskar retired in style. Played one the best test knocks of his test career and then announced he was going to retire after the WC '87. Had a pretty decent WC as well. 

 

Unlike another legend who could have retired in style after the WC win, but dragged himself and the cricketing world for another 2+ years ruining his legacy in the process!! :facepalm:

That so called another legend never cared about the team.. Its all about himself 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×