Is Murali Vijay's form a matter of concern?

rtmohanlal

With Indias' most important assignments coming up(abroad tests)  , one of the most important elements (which deceides the  flow of all inns & there by the series itself) in the form of one of the opening slots poses a lot of questions, precisely  Murali Vijay.He is already past 33.5 years old.In the last 2 years he avg:ed just over 35 in 22 inns or so.And he is  not in the best of forms in the on going  Ranji trophy either.His only

positives   w.r.t   toughest assignments are his past  records in ENG & AUS.More over he is a right hander too that lessens variety if Rahul is the other opener. These being the facts, is he worth a place in the side for SAF tour?

Are their other worthy alternatives??Discuss.

Edited by rtmohanlal

MV seems like a batsman who gets bored while playing on pattas/against weak bowling units. He brings out his best against tough bowling and on tough pitches. Even in the period where he was averaging 35 odd, he was our best batsman in some of the matches against SA and NZ on treacherous tracks. I am sure he will bring out his A game when he sees Rabada and Morkel across the 22 yards on a spitting green mamba. He is the key in the overseas assignments, probably our most technically accomplished batsman in those conditions along with Rahane. Dropping him for Dhawan will be harakiri IMO, as much as I love Jatt ji he will be slashing thin air in those conditions, a better Dhawan (Sehwag) was made to look like a novice in SA/Eng on more occasions than not. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Khota said:

Dhawan will outshine him. I would not rule out Rohit or Rahane for opener. Plenty of choices. Vijay is a hard workere but has limited talent. He will always be average.

Bhai, he can't even survive swinging white ball and you want him as an opener in Tests that too In England and SA?

Having said all these things, MV avg:s a  very good 44.17  from 24 inns  in AUS,ENG & SAF combined.Of these , it is  only in SAF that he is not that good with a 29.33 avg:  .In NZL  where MV is really bad with a 12 avg:( only 4 inns though) , Dhawan who avg:s 52+ will  be the better choice.That means  even Pujara having been very good in SAF along with Kohli & Rahane ,  if Rahul becomes a success in SAF, then MV can feed off  from these four batsmen  to be  good/very good in SAF  so that the top 5 performs well as a unit in SAF. But for that, the main criteria is  to Rahul become a success there. Also   Vijay  himself need to be in his best  form .

32 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Lol Dhawan and Rohit..in SA and England...:cheer: aoutstanding bring it on...yeah..

You are so sure of yourself.

Dhawan or Rohit or Rahane >>> Murali.

They will run circles around Murali. Murali is a grinder with very limited upside. Other three look gifted compare to him.

31 minutes ago, Khota said:

They will run circles around Murali. Murali is a grinder with very limited upside. Other three look gifted compare to him.

They sure are more skilled in loi, but are they specifically more skilled in negotiating a moving ball in overcast conditions on a pitch that is doing something for 30 overs ?  that my friend is the operative point.

5 hours ago, Khota said:

There is no denying the fact that MV has been  the best opener in the 3 most toughest places for India namely AUS,SAF & ENG combined.An avg: of 44+ in 24 inns  in these 3 places is a seriously good track record.To add to it he avg:ed 37  in his last tour of SAF(2 tests only though)  where he is at his worst with an avg: of 29.33. Means, his skills to do the job at hand is never  in doubt.

But the problem is his fitness & form. 

10 hours ago, Khota said:

Dhawan will outshine him. I would not rule out Rohit or Rahane for opener. Plenty of choices. Vijay is a hard workere but has limited talent. He will always be average.

most funniest thing i have heard from quite some time....

MV is the most important player for team india for test matches....He is as important as lets say Virat or rahana.....

Comparing him with Dhawan in test matches  is such a demeaning thing

7 hours ago, Vilander said:

They sure are more skilled in loi, but are they specifically more skilled in negotiating a moving ball in overcast conditions on a pitch that is doing something for 30 overs ?  that my friend is the operative point.

They can play the moving ball too.

2 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

There is no denying the fact that MV has been  the best opener in the 3 most toughest places for India namely AUS,SAF & ENG combined.An avg: of 44+ in 24 inns  in these 3 places is a seriously good track record.To add to it he avg:ed 37  in his last tour of SAF(2 tests only though)  where he is at his worst with an avg: of 29.33. Means, his skills to do the job at hand is never  in doubt.

But the problem is his fitness & form. 

He has been good and has offered stability but the others can do it too.

1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

most funniest thing i have heard from quite some time....

MV is the most important player for team india for test matches....He is as important as lets say Virat or rahana.....

Comparing him with Dhawan in test matches  is such a demeaning thing

I am glad I made you laugh.

44 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Nobody plays better around the off stump like Vijay does. Probably one of the best opener ever to play for India. His problem is conversion. He does the hard yards and fizzle out when things start to look easier.

Most gutsy but not the best.