Sri Lanka's cricketers refuse to tour Pakistan

Forty contracted players of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) have handed a letter to the board indicating that they do not wish to travel to Lahore for the last T20I against Pakistan scheduled for later this month.

The letter signed by the entire current squad and contracted players back home doesn't directly say that they do not want to go to Pakistan, but has requested the board to consider a venue change.

"SLC will have a quick chat to the players very soon. We don't intend to disturb them in middle of a series, but we are left with no option but to address the issue. The ICC also will meet the players on Saturday to brief them about the situation in Lahore," an SLC source told Cricbuzz.

All-rounder Thisara Perera is believed to have not signed the letter as he was part of the World XI side that played three-T20I series in Lahore last month.

International cricket was pulled out of Pakistan after the Sri Lankan team bus came under a terrorist attack in 2009, outisde Gadaffi Stadium in Lahore, injuring several players and support staff.

There is still a possibility that the Lahore game could be played if SLC decides to send a second string team.

"We are looking at all possibilities. Pakistan has been one our closest allies and we don't want to let them down," the source added.

Source - cricbuz 

just a tactic from these players to eek out more money....

Either the ICC or the PCB will have to pay a lot of money to get these players over. Something in the region of $100k per person up front.... 

Reminds me of the time there was apparently going to be a pullout from SL from icc tournaments.

SLC and players, both whores in a way

2 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Was hoping they would come to Lahore for me to see my first ever live cricket match. Unfortunately it seems it won't happen.  :wp17:

Naah... The players are concerned for their safety and not without reason. I can understand how disappointing for Pakistanis, but when the malaise is inside, you cant blame the players.

3 hours ago, G_B_ said:

just a tactic from these players to eek out more money....

Either the ICC or the PCB will have to pay a lot of money to get these players over. Something in the region of $100k per person up front.... 

Reminds me of the time there was apparently going to be a pullout from SL from icc tournaments.

SLC and players, both whores in a way

May be there could be more to it. Their fellow players including icons like Jaya, Sanga and Samaraweera almost died in that attack. If I were a Lankan cricketer I wouldn't want to be in Pakistan either.