Poll on forum policy

The Outsider

Poll on forum policy  

1. 1.

• Petty insults and any other abuse should be dealt with infractions leading to a ban
    • Petty insults should be discouraged(by edit/delete) but should not lead to a ban

How do you define a "petty insult" ?
First paragraph would be petty insults, second would be abuse :
Secondly, stuff like fool, bigot, clown, idiot, moron etc. cannot be termed as abuse. Not good language for sure, but action cannot be taken on such stuff and certainly bans cannot be handed out. Mods will encourage people not use such language but it's outside the realm of a free speech board to put a strict ban on such usage. Thirdly, abuse involving family members, sexual references, abusive name calling (I don't need to define it, we all are grown up here to know what's a genuine abuse stuff like ch...ti..ya, MC, BC etc.) will be dealt with in an infraction based system culminating in a ban.

At the same time, overtly anti-India posture, mocking Indian cultrure, Indian traditions, Indian players in improper way should be considered as abuse, since we are still an INDIAN cricket fans. Mods may try in shaping the opinion so that site reflects India's rich culture, tradition and love for motherland.:dance:

to me a forum is a place, which should be kept clean but shouldn't be considered as office.. if u hate a member or his/her posts then ignore it or don't care to read.. if u can't ignore those posts just because of ur curiosity and tend to get annoyed by reading one's post, then there is problem with the person himself.. banishment ain't the rite idea for such a place which isn't really an office but a forum...

i think pretty insults r ok, once in a while.. but regularly, person should get a ban
Yes, for petty insults - if it happens a few times then Mods can initially send a PM to the offending person asking them to let go off it - A Warning!. If it happens regularly, then they can consider a ban of that offending member for a few days. For major insults and abuses, definitely issue a ban for a few days to few weeks - duration depending on the level of abuse and the situations that caused it etc.

At the same time, overtly anti-India posture, mocking Indian cultrure, Indian traditions, Indian players in improper way should be considered as abuse, since we are still an INDIAN cricket fans. Mods may try in shaping the opinion so that site reflects India's rich culture, tradition and love for motherland.:dance:
Disagree. Anyone is free to express their opinions as long as it is on PUBLIC personalities or opinions on events/culture etc. (Personally talking abt a forum member should be discouraged) If someone wants to say Indian culture sucks, they can freely say it. (ofcourse if they go overtly abusive, then it falls into the ban category). But saying our culture sucks is not an abuse, and people can say it and should be allowed to say it freely. If you dont like it, set the member on IGNORE option and ignore their posts.

And who the f*ck are you to preach patriotism, sir? Do I tell you whether or not to love your parents? Patriotism, like religion and all the other -isms is just another form of parochialism. Just because it comes naturally to us, doesn't make it correct and enforceable. And this is not a forum for Indian cricket fans, but for fans of Indian cricket, or simply fans of cricket.

Name & Shame ... Edit the posts of Profanity and Warn the users.... Banning is the last resort or the Brahmastra...Banning should be permanent. Either the user is worthy of forum or not ...No two ways about it. Without sounding too much like Anil, Posting is a privilege, Not a right.

Well lets extend that logic a little bit and let me ask you " who the heck are you to teach me about anything .. including what is abuse and what is not and why its not acceptable ?" Lets go the way of jungle rule ... simple no holds barred.
Abusing other members is simply not on. It's a societal norm. OTOH, do you go to work and tell folks to be patriotic? It's the individual's preorogative.

And who the f*ck are you to preach patriotism, sir? Do I tell you whether or not to love your parents? Patriotism, like religion and all the other -isms is just another form of parochialism. Just because it comes naturally to us, doesn't make it correct and enforceable. And this is not a forum for Indian cricket fans, but for fans of Indian cricket, or simply fans of cricket.
Well said Dhondy :two_thumbs_up:

If someone comes out and says "I dont love my country". You may twitch your nose and walk away. But you cannot "arrest" that person, or "cite him" just for saying a statement or holding a banner post. You can ignore, or dislike the person within your heart - but you cannot abuse them personally or cite them for stating their likes.

Does this qualify as an abusive post? I think so.

shwetabh one of the best things about this forum compared to others is that we can all be 'ourselves', and part of being ourselves could include banter or even a petty insult occasionaly:giggle:, i think we r all mature enough to deal with that, so pls dont change nothin!!:icflove: