Why Indian players are not allowed to play in other T20 Leagues?

3 hours ago, beetle said:

Bcci wants IPL to be the most profitable and popular league with Indian fans who bring in the money directly and indirectly .

If Indian players play in other leagues, Indian fans will follow those leagues too taking the money with them to those leagues.

It is about keeping Indian players exclusively to their league .

Rightly so. The Indian players brand value is bigger than those leagues. No reason whatsoever to play in those poverty leagues.

3 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I dont agree with what BCCI is doing here , you cannot expect international to play in your league and not let your players participate in other leagues ..fitness , money what ever the excuse it , its just not fair . 

No one's expecting those players to play in their league, those players WANT to play in their league.  As long as those players find it fair, why do we have to care?

13 minutes ago, maniac said:

I don’t want to throw a % without having numbers in front of me But isnt it safe to say that a large chunk of total cricket viewership is from India.

Forget about stats and performances ,isn’t it obvious that Kohli,Dhoni,Rohit etc etc have some of the biggest fan following among all cricketers. Pretty sure Yusuf Pathan has a bigger brand value than say someone like Joe Root.

Now BCCI gets to say that if you want to see the biggest cricketers in the world you have to exclusively tune into IPL...Bollywood,Jhumping Jhapaaks, Cheerleaders only help so much....If Indians play every league what’s the difference between IPL and say some other league out there.

As far as other foregin players playing the Indian league, it’s their free will to say no and some of them like Root,Clarke etc have said no as well because of international commitments.....neither the boards nor the players are stupid enough to say no to the kind of money IPL can shell out.

If tomorrow Pakistani players were allowed in the IPL with a caveat that they need to reject PSL 99% of them will bend down thank almighty and jump the fence....hell they did that for stupid ICL

Agree with most of it , we generate bulk of the revenues and thats why I was with BCCI when they demanded a bigger chunk of revenues from ICC .

This is different though , yes Indian players are bigger brand values but players from other countries have played their part in growing the league aswell . A league with just indian players alone would not be half this successful . When you expect other boards to release their players for IPL , what right do we have to block to our players playing in their league . I know BCCI is way too powerful and they can do it , but the question is should they be doing it ? 

Secondly concern about competition from other leagues , if at all there is one its pretty shortsighted . IPL on its own has  limited growth prospects , while the Indian market will continue to grow the league will find it difficult to keep everyones interest for too long , there are too many alternatives of entertainment these days and I bet we will have lot more in 10 years time. Eventually they will need  Champions League type competition to complement the league and for that to happen you need Indians to follow BigBash , CPL , Natwest T20 , PPL etc  ( one of the reasons it failed last time was cos Indian fans had no idea about these teams from Aus or SA ) . The market gets bigger and so does BCCI's share of the pie . I dont see how it hurts in anway to let some of our players play in these leagues . 

3 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Agree with most of it , we generate bulk of the revenues and thats why I was with BCCI when they demanded a bigger chunk of revenues from ICC .

This is different though , yes Indian players are bigger brand values but players from other countries have played their part in growing the league aswell . A league with just indian players alone would not be half this successful . When you expect other boards to release their players for IPL , what right do we have to block to our players playing in their league . I know BCCI is way too powerful and they can do it , but the question is should they be doing it ? 

Secondly concern about competition from other leagues , if at all there is one its pretty shortsighted . IPL on its own has  limited growth prospects , while the Indian market will continue to grow the league will find it difficult to keep everyones interest for too long , there are too many alternatives of entertainment these days and I bet we will have lot more in 10 years time. Eventually they will need  Champions League type competition to complement the league and for that to happen you need Indians to follow BigBash , CPL , Natwest T20 , PPL etc  ( one of the reasons it failed last time was cos Indian fans had no idea about these teams from Aus or SA ) . The market gets bigger and so does BCCI's share of the pie . I dont see how it hurts in anway to let some of our players play in these leagues . 

bold - is ok will happen.

red - lol hehe, indians will never allow it to be followed in India.

58 minutes ago, SLICKR392 said:

No one's expecting those players to play in their league, those players WANT to play in their league.  As long as those players find it fair, why do we have to care?

Am sure the foreign players are not complaining , if at all its some of the fringe indian players who are losing out on money as well as exposure of playing in these countries cos of this petty thinking .

guys its simple.

IPL is Indian revenue, needs to be for India share it with WI/Afg/Aus/SA/BD/SL, and continue to not share it with Pak which is very good. Eng yeah have their players over, and make sure plot for next chance to crap all over giles clark. Whats happening is perfect , clearly dominant strategy. Eng on notice( you have a marker on your forehead) you fd up so will get a good beating but the beating we give you will be much less if you had not f'd up, Pak we will crap all over you till eternity cause we can and is only right thing to do, others welcome to share. 

6 minutes ago, Vilander said:

bold - is ok will happen.

red - lol hehe, indians will never allow it to be followed in India.

yeah may be not PPL , but you get the point . 

As a fan , I would love to watch our players , may be not Virat or other top players but likes of Yuvi . Nehra , Uthappa , Pathan (old/fringe) in these leagues . 

12 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

yeah may be not PPL , but you get the point . 

As a fan , I would love to watch our players , may be not Virat or other top players but likes of Yuvi . Nehra , Uthappa , Pathan (old/fringe) in these leagues . 

in BBL,CPL and Natwest for sure, it will be good. Fringe and some regulars even if its offseason/no injury(which is never for team india). Never for PSL, not a penny for them because of us. Even if players play people wont watch.

2 hours ago, jusarrived said:

BCCI or Indian players have nothing to gain from   playing in other leagues monetarily or skill wise..it is not like Uthappa will play big bash and he will be good enough to start hitting 100s in a Perth test match.

On the other hand players and other boards as well as BCCI mutually benefit from overseas player participation in the IPL.

Same reason why it took India almost 18 years to  agree to a Bangladesh tour to India or for the same reason we don’t care about a Pakistan series...sure if it happens in India great BCCI will make a lot of money but there is no upside of visiting UAE for a series or playing a 3 test series at home against Bangladesh.

Edited by maniac

In all seriousness would many make it into overseas teams?

Kolhli yes.  Not many others though.  Indian spinners always fail in Australia/England so wouldn't get played.  India don't have any good enough fast bowlers, teams would prefer domestic players. 

Maybe Dhoni would get a game somewhere but that's all I can think of

On 10/31/2017 at 1:14 AM, jusarrived said:

Am sure the foreign players are not complaining , if at all its some of the fringe indian players who are losing out on money as well as exposure of playing in these countries cos of this petty thinking .

Looking at how their overseas players suck up to IPL and continue to show their over-enthusiasm, they might be surely cribbing when not selected. Less work and a hell lot of money, who wouldn't complain when they are left out?

On 10/31/2017 at 5:10 AM, Lala2790 said:

Kolhli yes.  Not many others though.  Indian spinners always fail in Australia/England so wouldn't get played.  India don't have any good enough fast bowlers, teams would prefer domestic players. 

With that username & avatar, your brain doesn't let you think at all.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:10 AM, Lala2790 said:

dont smoke weed much! it has damaged your brain over the years! oh! you were born pathan ....so that might not be the case for brain-damage

On 10/30/2017 at 7:40 PM, Lala2790 said:

Useless 5th stringers like Ish Sodhi take bagful of wickets in the Big bash -because fat australians color their pants even yellower against spin.   No-name spinners who would struggle to make domestic teams in India would be super-stars in BBL.   

And the BBL can't afford to pay for any top Indian player anyway.   Virat Kohli gets paid USD $500,000 for posting a photo on his instagram feed.   How much would you have to pay him to allocate a few weeks of his time to a c-grade cricket league down under?   Probably more than the entire of budget of the "big" bash league.