Taking the historic trip to India

Cricketics

Guys I need suggestions from both local ICFers and from all overseas ICFers who visit India regularly. I am planning a trip to India. This will be my first trip to India in a long long time. Yes, by long time I mean over 15 years. I honestly have no clue about India at this time. 

I will be rotating my location in Delhi with few family members and then travel around India with some old school friends and then also during the travel would love to visit some interesting places which you might recommend and then also would love to meet some ICFers also in different parts of India if anyone will be interested.

I plan to visit India for at least 45 days next year. However, I am not sure when to plan this. I believe summer will be really a bad time? What time you think will be the best in India to visit? and what areas do you recommend me to visit in India? 

Things I am interested in doing are like going to some hilly regions in the north, visiting goa, visiting Punjab(I have to go there anyway to meet some family) and I really want to visit somewhere in the south. 

Would love to hear your suggestions and advice for visiting places, tickets, accomodation and whatever else you feel is important.

Cheers 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Don't know about north India but Dec Jan is the best time to go to India from the US, especially Bombay, Gujarat etc

Nice, I have to visit Bombay also and from there I plan to do a rod trip to Goa. Cuzon tells me July is a pretty bad time as everyone in Bombay are all in tension, exhausted, frustrated due to heat, rain etc. This sounds similar to what you mean by visiting in December-Jan.

1 hour ago, beetle said:

July is a bad time everywhere in India.

If the heat and humidity won't get to you, the rains will.

Nov-dec is the best time if you are planning on going all over India.

How easy/hard it is to commute in Delhi via metro. For example travelling between Greater Noida to different parts of Delhi by metro and Faridabad by metro? I have ome family members all over Delhi including NCR region, Fariadabad and Great Noida. 

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

How easy/hard it is to commute in Delhi via metro. For example travelling between Greater Noida to different parts of Delhi by metro and Faridabad by metro? I have ome family members all over Delhi including NCR region, Fariadabad and Great Noida. 

Nov - feb maan lo...best time.

Greater Noida metro hasn't started yet.work is in progress.It is right now upto Noida.

No metro in faridabad ...i think.

Noida - delhi - gurgaon are very well connected .Ola and Uber services are good in delhi ncr.

Travel in metro is convenient but try to travel during non office rush if not used to  crowds.

4 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Uber works everywhere in India, even long distance between cities. We had hired a private taxi through a travel service to drive around for 3 days to Agra Jaipur etc. Pretty affordable  .

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Uber works everywhere in India, even long distance between cities. We had hired a private taxi through a travel service to drive around for 3 days to Agra Jaipur etc. Pretty affordable  .

Nice, almost forgot about about uber. Provate taxi is also a great ifea. Thanks

3 hours ago, Ranvir said:

When you visit Punjab be sure to go to Amritsar to see the Golden Temple, Jalianwala Bagh and Wagah border.

I have family in Amritsar so I am surely going there. 

3 hours ago, beetle said:

Nov - feb maan lo...best time.

Greater Noida metro hasn't started yet.work is in progress.It is right now upto Noida.

No metro in faridabad ...i think.

Noida - delhi - gurgaon are very well connected .Ola and Uber services are good in delhi ncr.

Travel in metro is convenient but try to travel during non office rush if not used to  crowds.

Nice, thanks for the informative lpost. Appreciate it. 

4 hours ago, velu said:

visit havelock island in andamans ..

or murdeshwara in karnataka instead of goa ..

Thanks, great suggestions. Will check this out. 

15 years??? You will be in for a shock then to see how much India has changed.

45 days is still not a lot...so since you are going to Delhi,just cover the northern belt as much as you can or else may be plan like  a week if you are planning to travel outside north.

I would suggest atleast have a high level plan..rest you can just wing it.

I am sure most of us have experienced this,I usually go  for 2-3 weeks and I eat,eat and just eat and and visit relatives (I would skip that if I could :giggle: but forced ) and meet old friends..so if you add a little travel/sight seeing then by the time you are back you want a one week vacation just to recuperate.

Edited by maniac

1 hour ago, maniac said:

15 years??? You will be in for a shock then to see how much India has changed.

45 days is still not a lot...so since you are going to Delhi,just cover the northern belt as much as you can or else may be plan like  a week if you are planning to travel outside north.

I would suggest atleast have a high level plan..rest you can just wing it.

I am sure most of us have experienced this,I usually go  for 2-3 weeks and I eat,eat and just eat and and visit relatives (I would skip that if I could :giggle: but forced ) and meet old friends..so if you add a little travel/sight seeing then by the time you are back you want a one week vacation just to recuperate.

Hahah, great suggestions and I can relate myself to this or can see myself doing this or getting stuck with this situation.

You know I realy want to do an Train trip from somewhere to somewhere. I think Indian train rides are epic and I want to experience it now all over again. Though i would like to ride in a Shatabdi or Rajdhani or whichever is an upscale train but it would be nice to do a train trip. Thinking of going to Amritsar by train from Delhi. 

15 hours ago, Ranvir said:

When you visit Punjab be sure to go to Amritsar to see the Golden Temple, Jalianwala Bagh and Wagah border.

Why would someone visit punjab these days No offense because of the major drug problems there it is tough to be in such places which will have crime as well.

Winters will be good.

You will be disappointed with railways. Not the government's fault here, people still have long way to go when it comes to understanding basic hygiene. I object when people say that lack of hygiene is due to economic reasons, it's absolutely not, good hygiene comes with the attitude of not being apathetic to your surroundings. Period.

You'll love the food, after 15 years in America food in India will taste like heaven, the spices all locally grown will give you foodgasms. 

Internet has played a big role in bringing changes to social dynamics in India. Before the internet a common man never knew how snobs/elites think, now with the internet they need not converse with elites just read their comments to get an idea of their thoughts. 

51 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Why would someone visit punjab these days No offense because of the major drug problems there it is tough to be in such places which will have crime as well.

I used to visit Amritsar regularly in childhood and roam around as a young kid. I never noticed that problem. I am sure there are such problems every where in India in small hoods or villages, but thats even a problem in USA or Canada or whichever bif country one can think of. No place is safe that way barring Norway and countries like that. Have to have open mind about it and avoid small areas I believe. 

30 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Winters will be good.

You will be disappointed with railways. Not the government's fault here, people still have long way to go when it comes to understanding basic hygiene. I object when people say that lack of hygiene is due to economic reasons, it's absolutely not, good hygiene comes with the attitude of not being apathetic to your surroundings. Period.

You'll love the food, after 15 years in America food in India will taste like heaven, the spices all locally grown will give you foodgasms. 

Internet has played a big role in bringing changes to social dynamics in India. Before the internet a common man never knew how snobs/elites think, now with the internet they need not converse with elites just read their comments to get an idea of their thoughts. 

Interesting post. Yes, really looking forward to the food. I am a vegetarian and have been following this dude on youtube with channel name “Visa2explore” and he does a brilliant job covering lot of areas and their food. He so far covered Delhi and Amritsar and he has done a pretty good job. I am looking now for some eateries on Mumbai but honestly, any random place in India would taste like heaven to me compared to what we get here in terms od Indian vegetarian food.

This is one of the videos of the visa2explore guy on youtube. His name is Harish Bali.