Reaction was way over the top: Gilchrist

ADAM Gilchrist was shocked by the public and media reaction to Australia's performance in Sydney, and was saddened that the controversies overshadowed a victory he rated among his top-five of all time. The Australian vice-captain says his teammates were affected by the post-Sydney furore, and pledged a more authoritative performance in Adelaide from today. "No one told us to walk out there and settle down and become friendly on the field, (but) maybe subconsciously guys we're a bit more aware of all the hysteria that was created, which I will happily go on the record and say, I think was way over the top," Gilchrist told Adelaide radio station 5AA. "Did we start the race riots that happened in Cronulla? No. We won a game of cricket." Gilchrist was also criticised for appealing for a caught-behind off Rahul Dravid in the second innings that the batsman missed. The wicketkeeper argued he was well within his rights to ask the question of umpire Steve Bucknor.

[The Australian vice-captain says his teammates were affected by the post-Sydney furore, and pledged a more authoritative performance in Adelaide from today.
I guess Gilly hasn't come to the grips of the Perth test match loss yet. Looks like he's blaming the furore they got after the 2nd test for the loss. Plain excuse. How about scoring some big runs and winning a game for a change? I think he's in a denial mode right now.