The pathetic cake smearing Indian birthday tradition?

Cricketics

What do you guys feel about this tradition where all family, friends or team mates waste the whole freakin cake and throw it on your face? I see this done a lot among Indians mainly and of late seeing it followed religiously during IPL events or during any birthday celebrations of a teammate.

Do you like this? I honestly find it weird and useless tradition and waste of money and cake. 

6 hours ago, beetle said:

A piece may be...but wasting the whole cake is bad.

Exactly a little piece rubbing is still fine. Thing is Indians have picked this up from western culture and have copied it so badly that they ended up misusing the concept. Not many waste the cake like they do in India.  

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

I honestly hate b’day celebrations now and feel b’day is just so overrated and especially for grown ups who are over 18. Anyone who is over 18 has no business celebrating b’days like crazy. It should be a thing for kids only. Celebrate like crazy for your kids who are young but anyone over 18 really looks stupid celebrating or being celebrated. My views on b’day are go out with family and have a simple dinner instead of singing like kids the whole happy b’day song for a 20-30 year old. I know some people like attention and it makes their day if their b’day is celebrated but I can’t help but mention that its silly to me when anyone over 18 has a b’day celebration. 

I actually kind of like it, it's one of the childhood traditions that stay with you even after you enter adulthood. A rare occasion where you relive your childhood!

12 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I actually kind of like it, it's one of the childhood traditions that stay with you even after you enter adulthood. A rare occasion where you relive your childhood!

To each its own, I find it embarassing if I start singing happy b’day for someone who is old or if someone starts singing happy b’day for me.

In my house we have made a tradition that no one is going to cut any cake and stuff on my b’day, as I find it over the top celebration. So instead of cake, we just bring pastries just for the occasion of b’day instead of a cake. 

11 minutes ago, beetle said:

I make 3 cakes for birthdays and start the cake cutting at midnight followed by morning and then evening.:hungry:

Age no bar...everyone gets atleast 3 cakes . No wasting  of my cakes allowed.Too much hard word goes into making them.

Thats good that you teach your kid or kids about no wastage. Though 3 cakes? Daymn thats some sugar :) 

4 hours ago, Cricketics said:

To each its own, I find it embarassing if I start singing happy b’day for someone who is old or if someone starts singing happy b’day for me.

In my house we have made a tradition that no one is going to cut any cake and stuff on my b’day, as I find it over the top celebration. So instead of cake, we just bring pastries just for the occasion of b’day instead of a cake. 

Till this day I have not understood the difference between a cake and a pastry.

Probably pastries are softer.

6 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Ya they are softer but pretty much same like a cake. However,  it tastes just a tad bit simpler than cake because on cake you will find fancier things due to the decoration involved in it while pastry will just be simple and will taste according the the flavor you picked. 

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Pastries are cake cut into pieces so you don't have to buy the whole cake.

They are probably made softer because it has more chances of drying faster than an uncut cake .(larger exposed surface area for moisture loss:p: )

Edited by beetle

On 11/5/2017 at 6:39 AM, Gollum said:

Very insensitive in a country where so many literally starve to death. As such wastage of food on any occasion pisses me off no end.

I quite agree. besides it can be quite humiliating for some (even if they're perhaps a minority) and the added "bums" aggravate matters further.