Modi magic holds, people still back demonetisation: ET online survey

chapetmarunga

https://m.economictimes.com/news/economy/policy/modi-magic-holds-people-still-back-demonetisation-et-online-survey/amp_articleshow/61547491.cms

An online survey conducted by Economictimes.com to mark the anniversary of demonetisation showed significant support for Modi's controversial move. In response to the question, 'Overall, how do you rate demonetisation?', 38% said it was a success. 30% said it had mixed results. Only 32% said it was a failure. 

A total of over 10,000 ET Online readers had responded to the survey. 
Only 26% thought demonetisation damaged the economy for longer term. 32% said it made the economy more transparent while 42% said it made the economy more transparent but with some collateral damage. 

Am i reading it correctly because only 38% said it as success whereas 62 were either against or says that mit had mixed results.

Besides, how many of economic times online readers are from lower middle or poor class or SME's.

THose were the people mostly impacted due to that and also this was the class which traditionally never supported BJP before 2014.

So, in short if that class goes away from BJP they will struggle to win like 2014.

2 hours ago, beetle said:

I don't care even if it was not a great success.

A sincere attempt  was made to combat curruption . That is good enough reason .

I still support.

+ exactly the point. Even the most obvious and logical things will never get 100 buy-in from everyone. We are too diversed to ever get that. Point is that an attempt is made and it was a good attempt.  

I can only compare 1.6 L Cr or 1.8 L Cr of 2G scam or Coal scam of congress of how they lost public money to corruption. As against that DeMo was a genuine attempt to curb the corruption and black economy. 

12 hours ago, gattaca said:

For me the most important thing is tying aadhar to everything. Supreme Court I do t know why you are resisting unless you have bones in your closet. It has been to be done and any deposit more than few lakhs should be scrutinized.

Correct. Linking things will make corruption more noticeable, and thus bring accountability and eventually reducing corruption.

^ Absolutely, we were poor developing nation until now but now we are transitioning to a stage of developed nation. I know there is long way to go but we have to do some ground work for that. So eradication of corruption, broader tax revenue base, better infrastructure, better governance and the last but not least, have enough resources to support those who are poor and need uplifting. 

Adhar card could do many things like tracking Hawala money used for terrorism, tying transactions to Tax returns and lsit goes on.

37 minutes ago, dial_100 said:

^ Absolutely, we were poor developing nation until now but now we are transitioning to a stage of developed nation. I know there is long way to go but we have to do some ground work for that. So eradication of corruption, broader tax revenue base, better infrastructure, better governance and the last but not least, have enough resources to support those who are poor and need uplifting.

Not possible. Our target should also be to make corruption "efficient".  In India, even with corruption & money, things are not done timely nor correctly. So we need efficiency even in our corruption, and we will get much better, as many large-scale projects are behind because of such inefficiency.

Edited by someone