Why are Indian test bowlers quicker than Pakistani bowlers?

Nikhil_cric

Over the last few years, we have seen that the likes Ishant,Umesh and Shami have maintained a minimum average pace of around 138 kph in every innings of a test without breaking down very often. On the other hand, Pakistani seamers seem to be made of glass in recent times. The only one capable of bowling in that range or above (Wahab) is often in and out of the side and even then is injury prone. Among the recent bowlers who played in SL, Abbas (127 kph), Hassan Ali(132 kph) were obviously slower and innocuous. Even spearhead Aamir broke down when he increased his average pace from 130 to 134. While there has been lack of skilled fast bowlers across the border for a while, they seem to be unable to produce bowlers with pace as well. Is it because of genetics or the poor diet of Pakistanis or is it lack of work ethic? 

Discuss.

2 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Hmm.. I don’t know maybe cause we have the ability to take 20 wickets? We have a history of making matches off of dead Tests. Our bowling is instrumental in that.

That is ancient history. In the last few years, your pace bowling has not been good enough to take those wickets. It has been primarily because of ajmal's dodgy action or a very fine wrist spinner in Yasir Shah that has helped you win matches. 

1 minute ago, Nikhil_cric said:

That is ancient history. In the last few years, your pace bowling has not been good enough to take those wickets. It has been primarily because of ajmal's dodgy action or a very fine wrist spinner in Yasir Shah that has helped you win matches. 

The UAE pitches don’t really assist fast bowling. Even than in the last Test match Wahab’s spell changed the Test match. You seem like someone who has not followed our cricket much.

Just now, Shaz1 said:

The UAE pitches don’t really assist fast bowling. Even than in the last Test match Wahab’s spell changed the Test match. You seem like someone who has not followed our cricket much.

It did not change the match. You were on your way to lose it and that's what happened. A match winning spell would be the spell of reverse swing that Yadav bowled against SA to win the match on a dead wicket. 

Good topic. Its got to do with the way they are built. You need structural strength for any physical activity. Its just the way it is..smaller people with less muscle mass cant keep up with larger folks with more lean muscle. There is this concept of fast twitch muscles one can read much of it in public domain in case of pak its just stamina..they can bowl quick in t20..thats about it.

1 minute ago, Nikhil_cric said:

It did not change the match. You were on your way to lose it and that's what happened. A match winning spell would be the spell of reverse swing that Yadav bowled against SA to win the match on a dead wicket. 

We could have easily won it if our batting actually batted a bit positively. I watched all our Test matches against Sri-Lanka. The real reason we lost was cause we never had a balance between attack or defence in our batting. Our openers were two batsmen who were just making a come back. They played negative cricket to fill there spots. Sri-Lanka took adventage of this by playing attacking cricket. Sri-Lankan’s stayed consistent with there line. They kept attacking the weakness of our batsmen. It got them under pressure and gave there wicket away. Only player who really shined was Haris Sohail, Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmad in the end.

Bowling wise we did decent despite many thinking we should have picked another spinner to assist Yasir.

2 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

We could have easily won it if our batting actually batted a bit positively. I watched all our Test matches against Sri-Lanka. The real reason we lost was cause we never had a balance between attack or defence in our batting. Our openers were two batsmen who were just making a come back. They played negative cricket to fill there spots. Sri-Lanka took adventage of this by playing attacking cricket. Sri-Lankan’s stayed consistent with there line. They kept attacking the weakness of our batsmen. It got them under pressure and gave there wicket away. Only player who really shined was Haris Sohail, Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmad in the end.

Bowling wise we did decent despite many thinking we should have picked another spinner to assist Yasir.

6 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Good topic. Its got to do with the way they are built. You need structural strength for any physical activity. Its just the way it is..smaller people with less muscle mass cant keep up with larger folks with more lean muscle. There is this concept of fast twitch muscles one can read much of it in public domain in case of pak its just stamina..they can bowl quick in t20..thats about it.

Larger? I'm not sure of that. Shami is only 5'9" or so and gets good bounce and generate s good pace as well. But yeah our bowlers don't have those unathletic builds like Abbas or Hassan Ali do. 

6 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

First of all this thread is about the pace of both sets of bowlers so I don't know why this justification for the whitewash is even necessary. Secondly, Wahab was pedestrian when it really mattered i.e. in the first innings and let Sri Lanka get a huge lead. After that, there was hardly any chance if winning no matter how well he bowled in the 2nd innings. 

3 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

First of all this thread is about the pace of both sets of bowlers so I don't know why this justification for the whitewash is even necessary. Secondly, Wahab was pedestrian when it really mattered i.e. in the first innings and let Sri Lanka get a huge lead. After that, there was hardly any chance if winning no matter how well he bowled in the 2nd innings. 

Maybe you should read your own post before asking me how does me saying this justifies the loss? Test cricket is won by bowling and batting not just bowling. Wahab’s spell did change the context of the match because Sri-Lanka could have easily made it a impossible chase. 300 something was well within our reach.

As for your thread in general. This thread is nothing more than to glorify your bowling. So go ahead glorify it I’ll watch.

56 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Over the last few years, we have seen that the likes Ishant,Umesh and Shami have maintained a minimum average pace of around 138 kph in every innings of a test without breaking down very often. On the other hand, Pakistani seamers seem to be made of glass in recent times. The only one capable of bowling in that range or above (Wahab) is often in and out of the side and even then is injury prone. Among the recent bowlers who played in SL, Abbas (127 kph), Hassan Ali(132 kph) were obviously slower and innocuous. Even spearhead Aamir broke down when he increased his average pace from 130 to 134. While there has been lack of skilled fast bowlers across the border for a while, they seem to be unable to produce bowlers with pace as well. Is it because of genetics or the poor diet of Pakistanis or is it lack of work ethic? 

Discuss.

Nothing to discuss .

Its the conditions .

Pakistani bowlers are capable of bowling quicker depending on where they play .

Comparing UAE to india is apple to oranges .

Amir and wahab are capable of higher speeds than bowlers in India as we have seen in similar conditions and even in the same match.

5 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Maybe you should read your own post before asking me how does me saying this justifies the loss? Test cricket is won by bowling and batting not just bowling. Wahab’s spell did change the context of the match because Sri-Lanka could have easily made it a impossible chase. 300 something was well within our reach.

As for your thread in general. This thread is nothing more than to glorify your bowling. So go ahead glorify it I’ll watch.

Test cricket is of course won by both batting and bowling. The logical conclusion then is that SL out bowled Pakistani bowlers on that wicket to take a big lead. What is so hard to understand in that? Pakistan were woeful with the ball in the first innings . The batting of SL and Pakistan is comparable. It was clearly better bowling by the seamers in the first innings that made the difference.

As for this thread, it has nothing to do with glorifying lol. Im simply asking what are reasons for our bowlers being quicker than Pakistani bowlers in general. That is not glorifying .

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Reasons why India has started to produce lots of fast and fast-medium bowlers in this decade

1.  India has become very strong economically. According to the IMF World economic outlook 2017, India will be 6th in the World in  terms of Nominal GDP and 3rd in the World in terms of PPP GDP   http://statisticstimes.com/economy/countries-by-projected-gdp.php . This has lead to a lot money flowing into cricket and cricket infrastructure, which includes pace bowling infrastructure,  has improved a lot. This has also resulted in Indians becoming very confident and mentally aggressive, which helps fast bowling.
  2. Much improved  economy and the IPL have resulted in cricket becoming a lucrative or viable profession for even the fringe cricketers and this is resulting in more talent coming in which includes pace bowling talent.
  3. Focus on fitness, strength training and stamina training have improved a lot. This helps fast bowling, especially increasing core strength, stamina and flexibility.
  4. Umesh, Shami and Aaron  giving confidence to young Indian pacers that Indians too can bowl fast for multiple years.
  5. Interacting with lots of top bowling coaches and top pacers in the IPL.
  6. Emergence of fast-bowling culture as a result of points 1 to 5 above.
  7. Selecting players from all over India, including small towns and villages. This was not the case till 2003.

I predict that we are seeing just the tip of the iceberg. By 2025, India will have the fastest as well as the best pace bowling attack in the world.

Good post. I'm not sure we'll have the fastest attack since Australia are producing a lot of quick bowlers as well. But yeah we should be able to compete.

2 minutes ago, the don said:

Nothing to discuss .

Its the conditions .

Amir and wahab are capable of higher speeds than bowlers in India as we have seen in similar conditions and even in the same match.

When did Wahab and Aamir play a test match in India?  You do realise that we haven't played a single test match against Pakistan in 10 years?

11 minutes ago, the don said:

Nothing to discuss .

Its the conditions .

Wahab is the only bowler who can clock 150kp. Aamir phuleez?