Greatest fast bowling spell you have seen

Vk1

Akthar very much could be they one with max no if such spells.

From a sheer value point akrams 2 balls in 92 world cup was jaw dropping.

Johnson against eng, Wahab against watson were really treat to watch.

From indian bowlers srinath against sa in a test match was fiery and ishant ahainst ponting as well.

Edited by renjith

Shami vs Windies on his debut,really enjoyed those flying stumps

otherwise mitch johnson vs eng at adelaide,steyn vs ind at nagpur,akhtar vs aus at sharjah, one more i remmebr is steyn vs sachin at cape town, i dont think he picked up any wkts but he it was great to watch

Bob Willis 8/43 against Aussies at Headingley in 1981.

Defended a total of 130 when his career was hanging by a thread.

Have seen it only on youtube & after losing the first test, English played follow-on in this 2nd test.

Beefy Botham played a gem of an innings of 149 counterattacking the Aussies.

2nd time in history a team won after follow-on, the 3rd instance being Kolkata 2001.

The English went on to win the next 2 tests winning the Ashes 3-1. What a turnaround.

Great men Bob, Beefy, Brearley :adore:

Edited by Turning_track

The other incredible spells:

Wasim's 2 wickets in consecutive deliveries in 1992 wc final. Magic.

Ambrose 7/1 at WACA, 1993. Unbelievable.

Dale Steyn's spell 5/23 Ahmedabad,2008 & 7/51 Nagpur, 2010. Simply genius.

Mitchell Johnson in Ashes 2013-14.

Broad 8/15, Trentbridge in no time at all.

The Indian performances which I enjoyed- Sreesanth 5/40 Joburg 2006 & Agarkar 6/42 Adelaide 2003.

7 hours ago, Lala2790 said:

Would agree with this.  Wahab vs Watson was as good as it gets.

Other notable spells include Flintoff vs Aus 05, Johnson v Eng 13, Broad vs Aust 15, Wasim vs Everyone 90's, Ambrose vs Aust at the WACA, Amir vs Ponting

Worst would be lol Ishant -  Pick any matcch

Wahab spell I reiterate was most pants over hyped thing ever . Great bowling ? Did not even get Watson out lol Watson finished not out as Aussies won match very very easily 

Most of my favorite spells have been covered by above posters. Some that I would like to add (strictly sticking to test cricket post 1998):

1. AUS 

Mcgrath/Gillespie jugalbandi in the 2004 series in India. It wasn't brutal but the way they stifled our top/middle order was painful to watch. It felt like drowning in sea, with no help to be found. That stranglehold those 2 had on us...I have never seen any visiting bowling unit give us that treatment, like ever. Apart from the Sehwag 150 in Chepauk, our batsmen had to work so hard to tick the scoreboard. Runs would come after long, torturous spells and even our free flowing Aussie killer Laxman was totally neutralized by them. I am one of the minority fans who believes that we would have lost 1-3 if not for the day 5 washout in Chennai. I know many Indian fans believe we had that in the bag but I genuinely believe that we had no chance to get those 220 odd on a day 5 pitch in India against that quality of bowling. 

2. ENG

Anderson's wizardry against us in Kolkata 2012. His mastery over swing/reverse swing and total humiliation of GOATdulkar sealed our comeback attempt in that ill fated series. Again just like 2004 Aus one of the most painful episodes in Indian cricket. More than Swann/Panesar I felt Anderson was the clincher for them. Without him I still believe we would have escaped with a drawn series in spite of being outplayed so comprehensively.

3. SA

Steyn's spell to GOAT in Cape Town 2011, GOAT showed why he was, is and will always be the GOAT. Any lesser player would have crumbled in front of that onslaught. Figures don't reflect how unplayable Steyn was that day, he could have bowled out the entire Pak team twice in that spell of truly magnificent, jaw dropping fast bowling. 

4. NZ

Chris Martin once tore our top order unit when we were no 1, got some 5/15.....remember watching it in my college hostel. If not for Bhajji's heroics that had a loss written all over it. Another one I remember is Dion Nash blowing us away in Mohali in the 98/99 period, we were shot down for 80 odd in the 1st innings before Srinath bowled them cheaply, match was a draw. 

5. Pak

Asif's spell in Karachi,one of the most painful tests I have ever witnessed. Losing a match by 350 runs after reducing them to 35/6 on day 1, session 1......unfrikkingbelievable. But got to admit, that was a phenomenal spell of seam bowling by the Pakistani. Another one I remember is Shoaib getting 5/25 against Aus in Lanka.....brutal fast bowling that. Akhtar's bowling against Eng in 2005, Amir's bowling in England 2010 etc were some other outstanding feats of fast bowling. 

6. WI

Can't remember a single one tbh. I know they have a rich tradition of quick bowling but I missed all that special stuff due to my late entry as a cricket bhakt and the WI timezone not agreeing with my body clock during school days. I missed Ambrose and Walsh and others are nothing special. Sure Dillon, Drakes, Pedro Collins (remember that Sachin slayer from 2002 :facepalm:), Roach, Edwards would have had a decent spell or two here and there but can't recollect any. 

7. Lanka

Vaguely recollect a spell by Vaas once against Poms at home, that was military medium at best but great movement of the ball. Anyways he was mostly overshadowed by an offie and his best spells were in ODI cricket which isn't as important as tests. 

8/9. Zim/BD

No recollection whatsoever.

Bharat Mera Desh Mahan

• Srinath got 13 wickets against Pak in Kolkata,1999. Terrific bowling that but badly let down by our superstar batsmen. Another test where we let Pak get away, we had them at 25/6 on day 1 before Moin Khan bailed them out. 
  • Balaji in 2004 Pak and 2005 Mohali, he was fun to watch in those 18 odd months.
  • Pathan in Karachi 2006. 
  • RP Singh in one of the tests in England 2007. Remember a brilliant spell from him which culminated in him getting Collingwood bowled from wide of the crease.
  • Sreesanth in 2006 Jo'berg and 2010 Durban....screw you Dhoni.
  • Zak against Australia in Mohali, 2010. Reverse swing at its finest.
  • Ishant against Eng in Lords 2014, not that great quality wise but was like an oasis in the desert...a flicker of light in the darkness of Dhoni's evil era. 
  • PK /BK both had some good spells in England. 
  • Umesh against England in Ahmedabad 2012. Quick hostile reverse swing, unfortunately got injured after that.
  • Shami's 9fer against WI in Kolkata in 2013.  

Edited by Gollum